Right Click Acting Like Left Click Upon Release

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Terrior
Level 1
Level 1

Right Click Acting Like Left Click Upon Release

Post by Terrior »

I've realized that if you hold right click, hover over an option in the context menu, then release, it automatically clicks that option like a left-click would. The fact that I haven't noticed this until now means it's not a problem usually, but inside certain apps, the context menu appears underneath my mouse, and doing a normal right-click will end up clicking whatever option shows up under my mouse without me moving my pointer. Is there any way to disable this behavior? I have to actively move my mouse out of the way before releasing right click. I've scoured the web but I haven't found how to keep right click from left clicking options like that.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Right Click Acting Like Left Click Upon Release

Post by absque fenestris »

Check the mouse settings in System Settings > Mouse and Touchpad.
If it is not because the right / left buttons have been swapped, I cannot understand your problem - the right click behaves as usual.

Mouse.png
Terrior
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Terrior »

The mouse has the correct button layouts. To explain it a bit better, hold right click on the browser's top bar for example. Then while holding down the right click, hover over minimize. Upon release, my mouse "clicks" on minimize, and the window minimizes. I'd like to disable this behavior so when I release it, nothing happens, just like on Windows.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

With the right-click or with the right mouse button held down, nothing happens. The Minimize button (in Vivaldi) only reacts to a left click ...

And right-click with Firefox on Minimize button:

right firefox.png
Terrior
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Terrior »

It may be the GUI I'm using then. I'm using Cinnamon on Mint 20.1. The selected theme doesn't seem to make a difference, so I wonder if there's something else at play if this isn't universal. I'm also able to right click or left click on the context menu itself and they do the same thing.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Terrior wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:08 am It may be the GUI I'm using then. I'm using Cinnamon on Mint 20.1. The selected theme doesn't seem to make a difference, so I wonder if there's something else at play if this isn't universal. I'm also able to right click or left click on the context menu itself and they do the same thing.

In the Firefox example above, I can also click the "Menu Bar" box with the left or right button and it will be activated. In the event that there is no other context menu, it reacts the same to both buttons.
2shrestha22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 2shrestha22 »

I think here is the solution for your problem in FireFox, https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1184673
So, I went to my about:config and changed ui.context_menus.after_mouseup to true

Return to “Hardware Support”