NVidia Driver [RESOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RubyStone
Level 2
Level 2

NVidia Driver [RESOLVED]

Post by RubyStone »

Hello everyone. I hope you are all well and hopefully see a bit more of a move to normal life.

I know that has probably been covered a million times so I will try and be specific about something.

I have an ASUS Z490 Pro Creator 10G MB and a i9-10900 cpu. I wanted to add a video card - when they are less than 10 million - so I installed an ASUS 1030 half height (no fan model). I could manage to get it installed in Windows but there was no way at all to get it working in Linux Mint (cinnamon). Ubuntu seemed ok out of the box.

Has there been any knows issues with the 1030 in particular?
IS it just an Nvidia issue in general that they don't work well with Mint?

Any help/advice/insight at all anyone can give would be appreciated. My goal is to actually install a Quadro since I use it for video editing in DaVinci Resolve on both the Linux and Windows side.

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: NVidia Driver

Post by SMG »

RubyStone wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:55 pm I have an ASUS Z490 Pro Creator 10G MB and a i9-10900 cpu. I wanted to add a video card - when they are less than 10 million - so I installed an ASUS 1030 half height (no fan model). I could manage to get it installed in Windows but there was no way at all to get it working in Linux Mint (cinnamon). Ubuntu seemed ok out of the box.
I think we need more details to be able to help you. Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, so if "Ubuntu seemed ok out of the box." then it should work on Mint.

What versions of Mint and Ubuntu did you test? The default LTS kernel of LM20.1 is the 5.4 kernel which is the same kernel with Ubuntu 20.04.

For very new hardware such as yours, we recommend using the Linux Mint 20.1 "Ulyssa" - Cinnamon (Edge, 64-bit) ISO which has the 5.8 kernel installed by default. That 5.8 kernel is the same kernel which comes with Ubuntu 20.10.

Additionally, the LM20.1 ISOs install the nouveau driver by default, so if you used LM20 and not LM20.1, then you would have to go to the Release Notes for Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon and scroll to section on 'Solving freezes during the boot sequence' for instructions on installing the Nvidia driver. And you would also want to go to Update Manager in the Edit > View Linux kernels section to update to the 5.8 kernel.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
RubyStone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RubyStone »

Thank you for the info SMG.

So I basically have the latest and greatest of everything. I installed the current LTS version of Ubuntu with no issue. Generally, I install the latest updated kernel that I can find and when I tried LM I used LM-Cin 20.1. It is my go-to since this is a point release it is usually a lot more stable anyway - which is why I am wondering if I have some issue with the actual card itself.

Because I am using a Z490 chipset with a lot of newer hardware - include the 2.5 GB Ethernet that needs Kernel 5.4 or later so I actually had to update the kernel with a wifi in order to get the correct kernel to run the Ethernet. That being said, kernel 5.4 was the version I tried for the 1030.

I also tried installing on an older machine with a Z240 chipset and a 4th gen intel with the same results.

When I start the system with monitors connected to that card I only see on monitor display even with the nouveau drivers. Wonder if it is a one-off defect? That is actually why I am worried.

As I mentioned, my ultimate goal is to get a quadro in there to assist with rendering but I want to be sure nvidia will work first before I get a video card.

Thanks again.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

RubyStone wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:29 am I installed the current LTS version of Ubuntu with no issue.
While using the word "latest" has meaning for you, it is a guessing game for us to know what that means. All the versions of Ubuntu and Mint have numbers and names and none of them are named "latest". Please use the specifics, so we know to what you are referring.
RubyStone wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:29 am Because I am using a Z490 chipset with a lot of newer hardware - include the 2.5 GB Ethernet that needs Kernel 5.4 or later so I actually had to update the kernel with a wifi in order to get the correct kernel to run the Ethernet.
I do not understand what this means. Both Ubuntu 20.04 and LM20 come with the 5.4 kernel on the ISO. No one needs to update the kernel in order to get 5.4.

The person in this thread [solved] Black screen -booting from Mint 20.1 USB stick with a Z490 is using a GeForce GT 710 graphics card.

The issue that person was having with a black screen may be related to an i915 Intel graphics driver bug which was fixed in a version of the 5.10-oem kernel. (That was discovered in this thread Black Screen Z590 Chipset i7-10700k Intel UHD 630 Graphics.)
RubyStone wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:29 am When I start the system with monitors connected to that card I only see on monitor display even with the nouveau drivers. Wonder if it is a one-off defect? That is actually why I am worried.
We are not able to help you unless you post some data.

Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware.
RubyStone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RubyStone »

As the beginning of the post says, "NVidia Driver" so it is not an issue with the on-board graphics.

By the latest Ubuntu, that I mentioned in the previous post, I mean Ubuntu 20.04LTS (that is the latest LTS version and the one that the current Mint is based on). I referenced that I loaded Linux Mint 20.1 (cin) and had to upgrade the kernel to get the 2.5gigabit network to work so that it would be clear that I have the most current available kernel.

Since this post was about net being able to get my NVidia graphics card to work in LM20.1 - and not about the on-board graphics of the i9-10900 - the other posts are not relevant to my situation.

The only issue I am having is that, when I run LM20.1 using my on-board intel 630HD graphics, it boots without issue AND I am able to use two monitors connected to the on-board graphics. However, when I install an nvidia graphics card - namely the ASUS 1030 GT - I can only see one monitor and the other is blank. Additionally, LM20.1 either won't boot properly with the graphics driver (software render mode) or I get a low resolution. Even with the open source driver there are similar issues.

One more note about this setup-up above. I installed the NVidia card in a Z490 board with my i9-10900 and I installed that same card into a 6th/z270 generation system with the same issue. Therefore I wonder if there is some issue with how LM20.1 is handling the nvidia graphics drivers vs how Ubuntu is handling those same drivers.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

RubyStone wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:01 pmThe only issue I am having is that, when I run LM20.1 using my on-board intel 630HD graphics, it boots without issue AND I am able to use two monitors connected to the on-board graphics. However, when I install an nvidia graphics card - namely the ASUS 1030 GT - I can only see one monitor and the other is blank. Additionally, LM20.1 either won't boot properly with the graphics driver (software render mode) or I get a low resolution. Even with the open source driver there are similar issues.
Where have you posted the requested data so we can get an idea of how Mint sees your system? Plenty of other people are successfully using Nvidia cards with Mint.

Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware.

RubyStone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RubyStone »

Sorry for the late reply SMG.
I have been working too many hours (in today's world that is a good thing) and didn't get a chance to check this forum.

Thank you for your insight. For some strange reason, I think it may be an issue with just that card because I have also had success with a GT 710. Go figure. LOL

I am going to get a Quadro soon and I will test it out to see how it works. Since I am not a gamer, I think a Quadro will suit my needs - especially with DaVinci Resolve and KDENLive.

Thank you again for your support and insight.

Return to “Hardware Support”