No sound from cam mic, until I change and change back

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
semental
Level 1
Level 1

No sound from cam mic, until I change and change back

Post by semental »

Hi, first sorry for my spelling, i'm from Argentina

These are my OS specs:
Kernel: 5.4.0-72-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Cinnamon 4.6.7
Linux Mint 20 Ulyana

And this is how the system recognizes my webcam:
ARC International Camera
USB driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo

So, I bought a USB webcam (no jack 3.5, it transmits audio and video from the USB connection).

I want to leave it plugged, to avoid damage during severals plugs and unplugs, and also to use the mic to send WhatsApp audios on WhatsApp web and google voice search.

But something strange happens to it.

I have chosen the webcam mic as default source. I have 3 from the camera: multichannel camera input, camera mic, and also multichannel with echo reduction (I activated that last option on mint for every source, don't remember how its been a long time)

But i think the source is no important, no matter which I choose it's the same.

So this is my problem:

On every boot, the first time i want to record audio or use the mic for any sound action it doesn't work.

But if I change manually the input from sound configuration to another source and change it back to my default source it works!

Then the mic works perfect for that session (again, no matter which input I use, I tested all and it's the same)

I attached a GIF of what I do to explain myself better.

https://gifyu.com/image/5K6Z

The GIF has no sound of course, but I'm snapping my fingers next to the mic all the process for you to see that at first the bar has no movement, then when I change to another source it raises, and then when I come back to the original sources it also raises.

Also, this doesn't happen when I plug the camera with the PC already booted (which is the way I'm using it right now, because it is a waste to have it plugged if it doesn't work for WhatsApp audio and google search).
So, if I connect the camera when the PC is booted, the mic works form the start.

So I think it has something to do with not waking up the mic at boot.

¿Is there a way for me to do this?, make my mic ready for listening when the PC is booted and don't have to do the attached GIF process manually every time I boot.

Or maybe the problem is another, i don't want to break anything

Remember, I want the mic to be always ready since boot, to use it also for Google search and WhatsApp audio messages, not only for a previously appointed videocalls.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Hardware Support”