External IDE/Sata hard disk adapter, help!

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linxmintq
Level 3
Level 3

External IDE/Sata hard disk adapter, help!

Post by linxmintq »

Hello,

Can someone guide me and recommend me an external data adapter to read or write internal ID/SATA hard disk of half use, because the computer died.
Attachments
OPD.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: External IDE/Sata hard disk adapter, help!

Post by rene »

This one: https://www.inateck.com/products/inatec ... ta-adapter got a good review in a link I recently spammed in another subject concerning this issue, https://nerdtechy.com/best-usb-sata-adapter. It has SATA and (both 3.5" and) 2.5" IDE-drive connectors so should supposedly work for you.
linxmintq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linxmintq »

rene wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:35 am This one: https://www.inateck.com/products/inatec ... ta-adapter got a good review in a link I recently spammed in another subject concerning this issue, https://nerdtechy.com/best-usb-sata-adapter. It has SATA and (both 3.5" and) 2.5" IDE-drive connectors so should supposedly work for you.
Will the adapter's USB cable be compatible by ports 1.1 of the laptop? Thank you for your response, I am sad that you have been criticized for your help to the community.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

linxmintq wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:18 am Will the adapter's USB cable be compatible by ports 1.1 of the laptop?
Err, maybe, although not certainly, but I sort of doubt that you actually mean USB 1.1: that's literally last century with USB 2.0 being from 2000.

If you are definitively speaking of USB 1.1 a USB adapter would in any case not be practically useful for connecting a disk even if it does/would work: USB 1.1 is 12 Mb/s i.e. with protocol overhead less than 1.5 MB/s. USB 2.0 (which I expect your ports in fact are) does 40 times that at 480 Mb/s although disk-throughput via USB 2.0 is in a practical sense usually limited to about half that at around 30 MB/s --- which is doable for non-huge drives.

Now as to whether or not this specific USB 3.0 adapter is compatible with USB 2.0 ports even assuming that they are 2.0 ports... greater power delivery of a USB 3.0 port over a 2.0 port could in fact be an issue --- but this one has external power so I'll now say "probably" instead of "maybe" but frankly I'm not fully sure what's guaranteed and what's not. Perhaps you'd better shop for an explicitly USB 2.0 adapter if USB 2.0 ports is what you have. As said, if actually USB 1.1 then a USB adapter isn't going to work at all and you'd need some solution specific to what ports you have available to you on the system you'd want to hook these drives up to.
linxmintq wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:18 am Thank you for your response, I am sad that you have been criticized for your help to the community.
Wait, what? I have? If I'm missing some specific issue/thread please feel free to point me to it as that's going to be great fun for sure, but if you're just talking about not everyone always enjoying my often somewhat blunt style of communication note that that's really perfectly fine :-)
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I bet he/she will though if trying to plug that Samsung IDE drive into either :)
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Whoops! That'll teach me not to skim read posts. My suggestions won't work - wrong interface for the samsung :oops: You can get an IDE/usb adapter off ebay for £5.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
linxmintq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linxmintq »

rene wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:09 pm
Wait, what? I have? If I'm missing some specific issue/thread please feel free to point me to it as that's going to be great fun for sure, but if you're just talking about not everyone always enjoying my often somewhat blunt style of communication note that that's really perfectly fine :-)
The laptop' ports are from 2010, and its port specification is Universal Serial Bus 111. From what I am learning, the 1.1 port is too slow for external hard disk use via the adapter which is not advisable?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Even USB3 is from 2008. If you post the specific brand and model of the laptop or the output of lspci we'll be be able to tell you what USB standard it supports.
linxmintq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linxmintq »

rene wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:51 pm Even USB3 is from 2008. If you post the specific brand and model of the laptop or the output of lspci we'll be be able to tell you what USB standard it supports.
Thanks for the prompt replies, these are the specifications of the HP G62-b86SS laptop.

Note, this laptop has 3 ports for USB connections.

Code: Select all

$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller (rev 06)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 05)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev 05)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev a5)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM55 Chipset LPC Interface Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 4 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SMBus Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Thermal Subsystem (rev 05)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
03:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
7f:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture Generic Non-core Registers (rev 05)
7f:00.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture System Address Decoder (rev 05)
7f:02.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Link 0 (rev 05)
7f:02.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 1st Generation Core i3/5/7 Processor QPI Physical 0 (rev 05)
7f:02.2 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 1st Generation Core i3/5/7 Processor Reserved (rev 05)
7f:02.3 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 1st Generation Core i3/5/7 Processor Reserved (rev 05)
$
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

OK, yes, that's a USB 2.0 system. If you buy some place with good return policy you could supposedly still try the originally linked Inateck but you can also just grab a generic one such as e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Adapter- ... B07JJX357Y. Like the Inateck, own power supply (with IDE applicable only for 3.5" drives) and both 2.5/3.5 IDE and SATA but USB 2.0. China-quality but if you just want to quickly grab data of your old drives it'll work: where technical quality starts to matter is when you're dealing with e.g. truly old IDE drives or ones with bad sectors and the like.
linxmintq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linxmintq »

rene wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:35 pm OK, yes, that's a USB 2.0 system. If you buy some place with good return policy you could supposedly still try the originally linked Inateck but you can also just grab a generic one such as e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Adapter- ... B07JJX357Y. Like the Inateck, own power supply (with IDE applicable only for 3.5" drives) and both 2.5/3.5 IDE and SATA but USB 2.0. China-quality but if you just want to quickly grab data of your old drives it'll work: where technical quality starts to matter is when you're dealing with e.g. truly old IDE drives or ones with bad sectors and the like.
The link adapter compatible with those old IDE/SATA hard drives and their pins numbers to connect them? From the information in the brochure of this G62 laptop, it says that the ports are Universal Serial Bus 111, and as you see the information in the command displayed by the terminal, I understand that this laptop has ports 2.0.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Yes, it will work; both the drives you mentioned are standard (semi-) modern SATA resp. IDE drives. And yes, your USB ports are 2.0 so that side's correct as well.
linxmintq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linxmintq »

rene wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:56 am Yes, it will work; both the drives you mentioned are standard (semi-) modern SATA resp. IDE drives. And yes, your USB ports are 2.0 so that side's correct as well.
rene thanks for your help and comments.
linxmintq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linxmintq »

rene wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:56 am Yes, it will work; both the drives you mentioned are standard (semi-) modern SATA resp. IDE drives. And yes, your USB ports are 2.0 so that side's correct as well.
Hello rene, I have been looking closely at the details of the adapter in that link you put, that adapter is for 2.5/3.5 size hard disks, some comments say that it does not detect or presents irregularities. My IDE/SATA hard drive size is 3.9/2.7, and +v5 0,451 A the Sata, +v5 085 A the IDE
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

The drives you mention, the Seagate ST9320423AS and Samsung HM100JC, are bog-standard respectively SATA2 and Ultra-ATA 100 drives that are both referred to as 2.5" drives. See e.g.

https://www.hdsentinel.com/storageinfo_ ... T9320423AS
https://www.hdsentinel.com/storageinfo_ ... %20HM100JC

However, and good job I guess for probing a bit additionally (<grumble>), although the Seagate SATA drive will be powered by the discrete power supply and have no issue, the Samsung IDE one will not, will receive power through the adapter itself, and given that second link's mention of "Required Power For Spinup: 1000 mA" a USB2 port's normal 500 mA max would/could be an issue if you'd hook the adapter up to a USB2 port directly, an older laptop's USB2 port even fairly definitely.

Although some USB2 ports (designated as being for "fast-charging") would do more and enough, that's usually on desktops, so I guess you'd probably additionally want a powered USB HUB. Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Individu ... 01N2YYTFO/

A USB3 HUB should also work for future-proofing. Above is just the cheapest I quickly saw. As a different solution, a 2.5" IDE to 3.5" IDE adapter such as

https://www.amazon.com/SinLoon-Adapter- ... 07ZGHZJMM/

would do. You'd then be able to use the discrete power supply from the USB adapter also for the IDE drive. But that you'd have a harder time finding any additional use for after grabbing data off of your IDE drive.

(taking a hammer to that ancient IDE drive could also be considered a solution of course --- but that one you decide on...)
linxmintq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linxmintq »

rene wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:25 am The drives you mention, the Seagate ST9320423AS and Samsung HM100JC, are bog-standard respectively SATA2 and Ultra-ATA 100 drives that are both referred to as 2.5" drives. See e.g.

https://www.hdsentinel.com/storageinfo_ ... T9320423AS
https://www.hdsentinel.com/storageinfo_ ... %20HM100JC

However, and good job I guess for probing a bit additionally (<grumble>), although the Seagate SATA drive will be powered by the discrete power supply and have no issue, the Samsung IDE one will not, will receive power through the adapter itself, and given that second link's mention of "Required Power For Spinup: 1000 mA" a USB2 port's normal 500 mA max would/could be an issue if you'd hook the adapter up to a USB2 port directly, an older laptop's USB2 port even fairly definitely.

Although some USB2 ports (designated as being for "fast-charging") would do more and enough, that's usually on desktops, so I guess you'd probably additionally want a powered USB HUB. Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Individu ... 01N2YYTFO/

A USB3 HUB should also work for future-proofing. Above is just the cheapest I quickly saw. As a different solution, a 2.5" IDE to 3.5" IDE adapter such as

https://www.amazon.com/SinLoon-Adapter- ... 07ZGHZJMM/

would do. You'd then be able to use the discrete power supply from the USB adapter also for the IDE drive. But that you'd have a harder time finding any additional use for after grabbing data off of your IDE drive.

(taking a hammer to that ancient IDE drive could also be considered a solution of course --- but that one you decide on...)
In conclusion, which of the same links would be worth considering to buy in order to work 100% with the two hard disks and their characteristics?

I am confused, with so many links, thank you for continuing to guide me.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

100% guarantees I nor likely at this point in this time (at which both USB2 and IDE are basically a part of history) anyone else here can provide, specifically for that Samsung IDE drive and specifically powerwise. What I would myself do is grab the one I linked originally:

https://www.inateck.com/products/inatec ... ta-adapter

Yes, it's USB 3.0 (but mentions being "Backward compatible with USB 2.0/1.1."), has its own power supply, and was reviewed favourably technically. That generic USB 2.0 one that I linked does also have its own power supply, but not in fact for a 2.5" IDE drive, and that's likely an issue at the very least unless you also invest in a powered USB hub.

So, no guarantees, but I suggest the Inateck UA2001. Extremely likely to work fine for both drives, and directly from your laptop.
linxmintq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linxmintq »

rene wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:41 am 100% guarantees I nor likely at this point in this time (at which both USB2 and IDE are basically a part of history) anyone else here can provide, specifically for that Samsung IDE drive and specifically powerwise. What I would myself do is grab the one I linked originally:

https://www.inateck.com/products/inatec ... ta-adapter

Yes, it's USB 3.0 (but mentions being "Backward compatible with USB 2.0/1.1."), has its own power supply, and was reviewed favourably technically. That generic USB 2.0 one that I linked does also have its own power supply, but not in fact for a 2.5" IDE drive, and that's likely an issue at the very least unless you also invest in a powered USB hub.

So, no guarantees, but I suggest the Inateck UA2001. Extremely likely to work fine for both drives, and directly from your laptop.
rene, the adapter in this link is compatible Systems: Windows XP/Vista/7/ 8/10 (32bit and 64bit); Mac OS 10.X. I use the Linux system, it is indispensable that it is compatible with linux.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Linux compatibility is not advertised (it almost never is) but the hardware is compatible. The only thing that is not is the supplied One Touch Backup software, which is Windows-only. Inateck by the way in that sense seems to also have a newer SA03001 without the OTB button but with otherwise undoubtedly the same hardware. Just grab whatever you can find.

Or not. I'm afraid I've no more to add.

Return to “Hardware Support”