No Touchscreen Surface Pro 5 (SP5)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MysteryOne
Level 1
Level 1

No Touchscreen Surface Pro 5 (SP5)

Post by MysteryOne »

Hi all,
I switched my SP5 to Linux 20.1. Everything works well except the monitor has no touchscreen capability. I tried using Deepin desktop and Gnome 3 desktop. I also updated the kernel: now 5.8.0.50-generic. It is Intel Graphics 620 with driver i915 v: kernel. Display: X11 Server: XORG 1.20.9 driver: modsetting unloaded: fbdev, vesa Resolution: 2736x1824 - 60 Hz. (these from inxi). I am running Mint Cinnamon based on Ubuntu. Curiously, I also run same OS an desktop on an SP2 and touchscreen on that device works fine. Thanks.
Last edited by SMG on Thu May 26, 2022 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locking old topic.
Louie Mint
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No Touchscreen Surface Pro 5 (SP5)

Post by Louie Mint »

Surface pro 3 and below seems to work perfectly fine with the default kernel (camera and touchscreen works right off the bat). Surface 4's and higher have issues with touchscreen and camera not working (even for the surface book). Installing the customize surface kernel seems to fix it, but it gives phantom touches on the screen so I uninstalled that. I think if we wait a little longer someone will figure out the the right kernel for these models. More and more old Surface 4's and 5's are appearing in the market.
Louie Mint
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No Touchscreen Surface Pro 5 (SP5)

Post by Louie Mint »

Anybody tried if the Linux 5.14 resolved the surface pro touchscreen and camera issue? Thanks.

Return to “Hardware Support”