Logitech C270 webcam showing white screen on LM 19.3 Xfce

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boris_the_Bobcat
Level 1
Level 1

Logitech C270 webcam showing white screen on LM 19.3 Xfce

Post by Boris_the_Bobcat »

Logitech C270 webcam started to show white screen on 11th May 2021, after having worked fluently for around a year. On the same day earlier, a new kernel and some other updates were installed. Webcam was able to recover after some time of showing white screen at 11th May, but no longer at 12th May even after being on for around on hour.

Skype can detect camera on Settings > Audio & Video, but it shows only white screen instead of video.

Have tried following things so far without success.

OS detection and drivers

Code: Select all

~$ lsusb | grep Webcam
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 046d:0825 Logitech, Inc. Webcam C270
Tried another USB port too (both are directly connected to motherboard).

~$ lsusb | grep Webcam
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 046d:0825 Logitech, Inc. Webcam C270

~$ lsmod |grep uvcvideo
uvcvideo               94208  0
videobuf2_vmalloc      20480  1 uvcvideo
videobuf2_v4l2         24576  1 uvcvideo
videobuf2_common       53248  2 videobuf2_v4l2,uvcvideo
videodev              217088  3 videobuf2_v4l2,uvcvideo,videobuf2_common
mc                     53248  5 videodev,snd_usb_audio,videobuf2_v4l2,uvcvideo,videobuf2_common
v4l2ucp

Based on instructions on this thread I installed v4l2ucp and set User Controls > Contrast to 0, but it only made the white screen to look more dark gray.

Different OS

Tried to boot to Live USB LM 19.3 Xfce and install cheese to rule out the possibility that some of the yesterday's kernel or other updates would be the reason for malfunction, but that didn't seem to be the case. When opening the video with cheese, it still remained white.

LM 19.3 Xfce history of updates
LM 19.3 Xfce history of updates

Hardware issue?

Found this thread at Reddit, I wonder if it is a physical issue instead of software one? I guess the fact that it started to use after a while yesterday would suggest to some hardware connection issue.

This device has still a 2-year warranty on. Should I claim a replacing one? Any other ideas what might be the cause? I might still try it to my LM 19.3 Xfce laptop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Logitech C270 webcam showing white screen on LM 19.3 Xfce

Post by shedyed »

Have you tried it with zoom, there is a 64bit deb package that might work with it. Logitech's 1-800 support line might be Windows/Mac only. But at least attempting zoom will support your claim, that you even tried it with a well-known application and yet you still received the same white screen. Logitech could then send you the RMA but I don't know if they will send you a replacement, or credit towards an upgrade. I think in either case you'd be back to square one.

RMA is return merchandise authorization, or something similar, that can be included in a package so that the manufacturer incurs the shipping and handling charges.

There is the remote possibility that the person who picks up the call happens to be a Linux enthusiast. And will work with you to arrive at a solution. In that case, look outside the window. Was that a unicorn under that rainbow :!: , or is that an asteroid headed towards earth :shock:
Boris_the_Bobcat
Level 1
Level 1

Boris_the_Bobcat wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:02 am I might still try it to my LM 19.3 Xfce laptop.
I did this but the issue remains still the same both on cheese and Webcamtests.com
shedyed wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:08 pm Have you tried it with zoom, there is a 64bit deb package that might work with it.
Haven't tried with Zoom, and don't know why it would work just with that, but none of the other applications it has been working with for a year.

I will contact the seller and see what they say.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

Maybe this will help.

sudo apt-get install guvcview libv4l-0:i386
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Boris_the_Bobcat
Level 1
Level 1

Joe2Shoe wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:48 pm Maybe this will help.

sudo apt-get install guvcview libv4l-0:i386
Thanks for suggestion, but I already returned the device to seller, who made a warranty claim to Logitech. We'll see what they will say, a replacing camera should arrive in a week or so if they decide to replace it.

Return to “Hardware Support”