Bluetooth Freezes / Stops Working After Inactivity

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
membiblio
Level 1
Level 1

Bluetooth Freezes / Stops Working After Inactivity

Post by membiblio »

Greetings, first to the developers of Linux Mint - Wow I love it - it works excellently and has made me 100% more productive than my former os windows*. So Kudos and a heartfelt thank you.

The only problem I have on this architecture:
Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon 4.8.6 Kernel 5.4.0-73-generic Core i5-2500S 8G Memory 1tb hd AMD 6730M Radeon iMac Mid 2011 Machine

Is that the Bluetooth stops working. Generally all I can tell is that if I start the machine and work - all is well. However if I walk away from the machine for about 15 minutes my bluetooth keyboard and mouse both do not respond - if I hook up a usb keyboard and navigate to Settings -> Bluetooth - I can turn off bluetooth and turn it back on and it starts working perfectly again until I walk away for 15 minutes. I have the machine set not to sleep but screensaver comes on and then the screen is turned off shortly thereafter but sleeping or suspend is turned off.

I have tried to work around the problem by attaching the power button to a script to restart bluetooth however I can change the functionality of the power button but I have failed to find a search that reveals how to tie a script into the power button through X11 so no joy here. The only thing I can do is attach a usb keyboard and restart the bluetooth via the Mint Cinnamon GUI.

Again thank you for a spectacular operating system I'm absolutely loving it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Bluetooth Freezes / Stops Working After Inactivity

Post by GELvdH »

Why are you using Bluetooth. Is this a laptop or a desktop? If desktop why are you using bluetooth instead of WiFi or Ethernet, same with laptop?
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

I even gave up using Bluetooth keyboards and mice on the original OSX' or macOS'.

With a lot of energy and excessive patience, you might like to get it going in Linux. My lifetime is - to me - too valuable for that. I turned off bluetooth.
membiblio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by membiblio »

Why am I using Bluetooth? Because I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and I just love them. Please be informed that they are not the original Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse but Arteck and tecknet purchased off of Amazon that work flawlessly with my Asus Core i7 running linux mint 19.x something so it follows that they will work on my converted Mac. Also be informed that the mac running osx siera or something was miserable and took ages to boot and I was not used to it but I love the configuration so I removed the hard drive myself then installed a cost effective SSD and loaded up Linux Mint 20.1 which works absolutely flawlessly and I am so happy and thankful to the Linux Mint Dev team and all Linux Developers in general. Do not worry someone with more experience and a less trod down life will come along and help me but thank you for your minimal effort :)
membiblio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by membiblio »

I must admit I have posted to the wrong forum and I apologize profusely I need to be here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingBluetooth where the developers are.

Thank you

Return to “Hardware Support”