Very weak wifi card signal

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
maya
Level 1
Level 1

Very weak wifi card signal

Post by maya »

After the last update, the problem with the wifi driver rtw88 started. My network card is rtl8723de.
The signal of the network reaches only if I press the router close to the laptop.
Previously, there was another driver from github and on it I included the ant_sel=2 parameter, which helped in solving this problem. The rtwpci driver does not have this option and does not fix the problem in any way.
Please help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Very weak wifi card signal

Post by Larry78723 »

Open a Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T), click CODE:SELECT ALL, then copy-and-paste the following as one block of text into the Terminal window (Ctrl-Shift-V)...

Code: Select all

W=wireless-info;I=/usr/local/bin;U=sudo;${U} wget -q -nv -t 5 -T 10 https://github.com/UbuntuForums/$W/raw/master/$W -P $I/;\
cd ~/Downloads;V=$W.txt;$U chmod +x $I/$W;$W>/dev/null;(inxi -Fxxxrz --usb;dkms status;modinfo -p wl;lspci -nnkD)>>$V;\
(lsusb -tv;rfkill list;(lsmod;dmesg)|egrep -i "wl|firm|fail|unab|blu|bt|bc";iwconfig;${U} os-prober;cat /proc/cmdline)>>$V;\
($U lshw -c network;mokutil --sb-state)>>$V 2>&1;tr -cd '\11\12\15\40-\176'<$V|nc termbin.com 9999;rm -f $W*.*
After a pause, a termbin.com URL will appear in the Terminal window. Paste that URL into a reply.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
hglee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by hglee »

Larry78723 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:03 am Open a Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T), click CODE:SELECT ALL, then copy-and-paste the following as one block of text into the Terminal window (Ctrl-Shift-V)...

W=wireless-info;I=/usr/local/bin;U=sudo;${U} wget -q -nv -t 5 -T 10 https://github.com/UbuntuForums/$W/raw/master/$W -P $I/;\
cd ~/Downloads;V=$W.txt;$U chmod +x $I/$W;$W>/dev/null;(inxi -Fxxxrz --usb;dkms status;modinfo -p wl;lspci -nnkD)>>$V;\
(lsusb -tv;rfkill list;(lsmod;dmesg)|egrep -i "wl|firm|fail|unab|blu|bt|bc";iwconfig;${U} os-prober;cat /proc/cmdline)>>$V;\
($U lshw -c network;mokutil --sb-state)>>$V 2>&1;tr -cd '\11\12\15\40-\176'<$V|nc termbin.com 9999;rm -f $W*.*
After a pause, a termbin.com URL will appear in the Terminal window. Paste that URL into a reply.

Hi Larry,

That particular chunk of code was made for someone with an antsy Broadcom chipset which needed a bit of hard-coding for that driver. It will produce a (harmless) error with the Realtek chipset used by the OP here. Some specific info will be missing.

The following code is generic, it seeks the driver dynamically, so generally works as expected with most any identifiable chipset:

Open a Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T), click CODE:SELECT ALL, then copy-and-paste the following as one block of text into the Terminal window...

cd ~/Downloads;V=$W.txt;$U chmod +x $I/$W;$W>/dev/null;(inxi -Fxxxrz;modinfo `inxi -n|grep -Po 'ver: \K[^ ]+'`|grep parm)>>$V;\
(lspci -nnkD;lsusb -tv;rfkill list;(lsmod;dmesg)|egrep -i "wl|firm|fail|blu|bt|rt";${U} os-prober;cat /proc/cmdline)>>$V;\
(iwconfig;lshw -c network;dkms status;mokutil --sb-state)>>$V 2>&1;tr -cd '\11\12\15\40-\176'<$V|nc termbin.com 9999;rm -f $W*.*

Last edited by hglee on Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21 Vanessa, MATE 1.26.0, kernel 5.15.0*, Dell 2-in-1
AMD Ryzen 7 5825U / Barcelo iGPU - 14" WUXGA Touchscreen
MediaTek MT7921 WiFi-6 BT-5.2; 32GB DDR4@3200MHz; XPG 2TB-NVMe
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

@hglee, Thanks for the correction.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
maya
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maya »

hglee wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:23 am
Larry78723 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:03 am Open a Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T), click CODE:SELECT ALL, then copy-and-paste the following as one block of text into the Terminal window (Ctrl-Shift-V)...

Hi Larry,

That particular chunk of code was made for someone with an antsy Broadcom chipset which needed a bit of hard-coding for that driver. It will produce a (harmless) error with the Realtek chipset used by the OP here. Some specific info will be missing.

The following code is generic, it seeks the driver dynamically, so generally works as expected with most any identifiable chipset:

Open a Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T), click CODE:SELECT ALL, then copy-and-paste the following as one block of text into the Terminal window...

cd ~/Downloads;V=$W.txt;$U chmod +x $I/$W;$W>/dev/null;(inxi -Fxxxrz;modinfo `inxi -n|grep -Po 'ver: \K[^ ]+'`|grep parm)>>$V;\
(lspci -nnkD;lsusb -tv;rfkill list;(lsmod;dmesg)|egrep -i "wl|firm|fail|blu|bt|rt";${U} os-prober;cat /proc/cmdline)>>$V;\
(iwconfig;lshw -c network;dkms status;mokutil --sb-state)>>$V 2>&1;tr -cd '\11\12\15\40-\176'<$V|nc termbin.com 9999;rm -f $W*.*

Here is the result:

modinfo: ERROR: Module rtw_pci not found.
rmdir: failed to remove '/var/lib/os-prober/mount': Device or resource busy
https://termbin.com/3u7lf
maya
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maya »

Anyone able to help? Otherwise, you will have to carry your computer to the trash heap :roll:
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Turn power management off & see if that helps:

sudo sed -i 's/3/2/' /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf 
Reboot

Return to “Hardware Support”