Mouse recommendations for heavy application/browsing work

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dbmatre
Level 2
Level 2

Mouse recommendations for heavy application/browsing work

Post by dbmatre »

Hello All,
I work as web analyst and spend 8-10 hours a day on laptop. I don't do much of typing but do heavy mouse use from one tab to another and switching form one application to another( basically heavy use of mouse movement). I also use 24" monitor with laptop so horizontal and vertical scroll a lot. Recently I have started feeling heaviness and tiredness in my right hand. Even there is desire to work, right hand doesn't want to work kind of feeling. I use local mouse for work.

So wondering if changing mouse would help me to get rid of sourness in right hand.In this case do you have any recommendation for right mouse for my condition.
I've medium built hands.And LM is my main OS.

Look forward to your recommendations in this case.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mouse recommendations for heavy application/browsing work

Post by xenopeek »

Sounds like you're well on your way to giving yourself RSI / repetitive strain injury. Check your posture, that you're sitting without tension in your back/shoulder/neck when using the mouse. Take breaks every hour where you stand up and walk around a bit. Take a walk during lunch hour. Ideally another walk after workday. And I'd suggest to visit a physiotherapist to get help recovering from this and prevent it from getting even worse. Take this serious.

A different mouse and/or keyboard can play a minor role in this but the major things are posture and taking breaks. I use a keyboard from https://evoluent.com/ such that my arm doesn't need to stretch to reach the mouse. The keyboard is also very flat and without a tilt so that typing doesn't strain wrists as most other keyboards do. They also have a vertical mouse that may help to relax your wrist. That didn't do anything for me but the keyboard has helped me.

These can help a bit with posture but just getting that mouse and/or keyboard is unlikely to fix everything. You need a healthier work habit. Paying attention to your posture and taking breaks.
dbmatre
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dbmatre »

Hi @xenopeek,
Thank you so much for your insights. I've visited Physio and he has suggested some neck exercises which I'm doing but didn't know about RSI or He also didn't say anything about it. I need to increase my awareness and make it part of my life style.

xenopeek wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:33 am Sounds like you're well on your way to giving yourself RSI / repetitive strain injury. Check your posture, that you're sitting without tension in your back/shoulder/neck when using the mouse. Take breaks every hour where you stand up and walk around a bit. Take a walk during lunch hour. Ideally another walk after workday. And I'd suggest to visit a physiotherapist to get help recovering from this and prevent it from getting even worse. Take this serious.

A different mouse and/or keyboard can play a minor role in this but the major things are posture and taking breaks. I use a keyboard from https://evoluent.com/ such that my arm doesn't need to stretch to reach the mouse. The keyboard is also very flat and without a tilt so that typing doesn't strain wrists as most other keyboards do. They also have a vertical mouse that may help to relax your wrist. That didn't do anything for me but the keyboard has helped me.

These can help a bit with posture but just getting that mouse and/or keyboard is unlikely to fix everything. You need a healthier work habit. Paying attention to your posture and taking breaks.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

dbmatre wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:39 am ...
I've visited Physio and he has suggested some neck exercises which I'm doing but didn't know about RSI or He also didn't say anything about it. I need to increase my awareness and make it part of my life style.
This is very strange - a physiotherapist should really know more about this. It is not as if a tiny minority have to deal with keyboards, mice and screens on a daily basis.

What worked in my case (it was more than 12 years ago, but still valid):

Work at different tables, in a sitting and in a standing position. There are tables with variable height adjustment.

In a sitting position, use of various seating options, including knee stools and large inflatable medicine balls, along with rather hard or rather soft chairs.
On each of these seats you take a slightly different position, from the neck to the elbow, the hand and to the fingertips.

Two monitors of the same size side by side. Assuming good quality and correct positioning, you can work very relaxed, especially when standing - you are simply less "glued" to the table.

And last but not least: treat yourself to different mice - large, small, flat, high - whatever and alternate in their use. Hands and fingers also love variety and giving yourself something is also nice.
dbmatre
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dbmatre »

@absque fenestris thank you so much for sharing your experience, it's really helpful.
absque fenestris wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:13 pm
dbmatre wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:39 am ...
I've visited Physio and he has suggested some neck exercises which I'm doing but didn't know about RSI or He also didn't say anything about it. I need to increase my awareness and make it part of my life style.
This is very strange - a physiotherapist should really know more about this. It is not as if a tiny minority have to deal with keyboards, mice and screens on a daily basis.

What worked in my case (it was more than 12 years ago, but still valid):

Work at different tables, in a sitting and in a standing position. There are tables with variable height adjustment.

In a sitting position, use of various seating options, including knee stools and large inflatable medicine balls, along with rather hard or rather soft chairs.
On each of these seats you take a slightly different position, from the neck to the elbow, the hand and to the fingertips.

Two monitors of the same size side by side. Assuming good quality and correct positioning, you can work very relaxed, especially when standing - you are simply less "glued" to the table.

And last but not least: treat yourself to different mice - large, small, flat, high - whatever and alternate in their use. Hands and fingers also love variety and giving yourself something is also nice.
shockedquartz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by shockedquartz »

Autokey and xbindkeys are my friends.
I use my Mint PC for work (on the down-low :P ) and I am in and out of spread sheets all the time.

Both have a bit of a learning curve, but when you get it, you'll wonder how you got by without them.
Great tutorials on both on YouTube.

Autokey is like Linux autohotkey and don't need to be a python pro to use it.
xbindkeys has a gui that in my opinion stinks and I just use the CLI to update

My fingers got bad arthritis from the scroll wheel
~/.xbindkeysrc

Code: Select all

#mouse down
"xvkbd -text '\[Page_Down]'"
   b:10
I binded a mouse button to perform page down. No more scroll wheel :D
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

dbmatre wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:08 amRecently I have started feeling heaviness and tiredness in my right hand.
Weird suggestion: use the other hand. I'm right-handed myself, and I hand-write only with my right hand. I can use the mouse with my right hand as well, but I use it mostly with my left hand - with swapped mouse keys of course. I made the transition when my right hand was injured, and then I found the mouse on the left so nice that I kept it that way when the right hand was OK again.

It probably won't take you more than a week to get comfortable with that if you use a symmetrical mouse, though precision work like graphics editing takes a bit more. Given the medical discomfort you're heading for with your right hand, this will be a minor nuisance, and it will address the root cause: too much strain for your right hand.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

Have you tried using a trackball instead of a mouse? I switched to a Logitech M570 and it has been a huge help. With a trackball, only your thumb moves, so you don't need to lift and lower your entire arm all the time.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
dbmatre
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dbmatre »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, with many suggestions and change in mouse, taking breaks in between, using workrave and always keeping in mind health is supreme and work is secondary. I've also started having multiple mice so only one wouldn't get used and not hurting body by repeated use.

@evmacian I will order this mouse once it's available.

revmacian wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:35 pm Have you tried using a trackball instead of a mouse? I switched to a Logitech M570 and it has been a huge help. With a trackball, only your thumb moves, so you don't need to lift and lower your entire arm all the time.
Qurcus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Qurcus »

I had some carpel tunnel issues and these things helped me tremendously.

1) Buy a good gaming mouse - one that is easy to click.
2) Get a mouse pad with a wrist rest. I also added to mine a rolled wash cloth taped to keep it round - supports lower forearm.
3) Go into Home folder and change setting to open folders with 1 click instead of 2. Edit>Preferences>Behaviour ---> single click to open items.
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

Random thought:

I think having to reach for a mouse during (eg) word-processing is counterproductive. A solution could be a foot-operated trackball.
Currently: Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64-bit 5.8.4, AMD Ryzen5 + Geforce GT 710
Previously: LM20.3 LM20.2 LM20.1, LM20, LM20β, LM18.2
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

One thing you can try is to set up a mouse so it's very sensitive and accelerates fast. Then you can find a comfortable way to hold it and just use finger motions almost all the time. I've been doing this for years.

I like Microsoft wireless mice personally.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:01 am One thing you can try is to set up a mouse so it's very sensitive and accelerates fast.
That doesn't work for me: with my UHD monitor, the settings available in Mint don't go high enough.
Currently: Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64-bit 5.8.4, AMD Ryzen5 + Geforce GT 710
Previously: LM20.3 LM20.2 LM20.1, LM20, LM20β, LM18.2
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

dbmatre wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:08 am In this case do you have any recommendation for right mouse for my condition.
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products ... mouse.html

You can't go past it. It's the best moose on the planet. The only thing you move is your thumb, brilliantly comfortable angle, and customisable buttons.
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Post by mikeflan »

Weird suggestion: use the other hand.
This is very good advice. I'm not sure everyone can do it, but I switched to left handed for about 8 months or more, two different times to avoid surgery. It works. I also suggest you squeeze a racket ball - a lot. Put a racket ball every place you occupy (car, office, couch, etc) and squeeze it with the problem hand all the time.

Return to “Hardware Support”