battery not showing % and can't open power management

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
billeggers182
Level 1
Level 1

battery not showing % and can't open power management

Post by billeggers182 »

What did i do, or is something up? I no longer have my battery showing on my panel. Says Brightness. Added Battery Applet with Monitoring and Shutdown (BAMS). Says waiting --%. When I click on power settings,, nothing happens. I can unplug my (HP Elitebook 840 8g memory) from power supply and use it, but don't know how the battery is doing? I was in a car accident 5 years ago and suffer from short term memory issues. Maybe I added some software or inadvertently changed something in the bios? I'm frustrated because I like to make notes when I change something. Maybe I did something and didn't know I would have the impact i have now. When I open system settings, everything is smooth until I click on on Power icon on side of choices. Then acts hung up. Also notice when starting Cinnamon it seems slower on startup and login than before! Had been doing stuff with STEAM and Plex. All tips and suggestions are very much appreciated. I realize I probably caused the issue, but have time on my side to fix my monster!!! Thank you again.

HP Elitebook 840
Memory 7.2 GiB
Processor Intel Core i5 5300 CPU 2.3
Disk 256 GB
Linux Mint 20.1
64-bit
Gnome 3.36.8
Window System X11
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: battery not showing % and can't open power management

Post by kc1di »

Are you using Cinnamon desktop? If so you simply right click on the battery Icon in the tray and click configure and the there is dropdown box that says hide label when you click on that it will give you the option of show percentage , show time remain or show both. Good Luck
and welcome to Linux Mint Forums. PS you may have to unplug the power supply for the battery Icon to show on that same config dialogue you can choose to always show the battery in the tray.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
billeggers182
Level 1
Level 1

Post by billeggers182 »

kc1di wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:50 am Are you using Cinnamon desktop? If so you simply right click on the battery Icon in the tray and click configure and the there is dropdown box that says hide label when you click on that it will give you the option of show percentage , show time remain or show both. Good Luck
and welcome to Linux Mint Forums. PS you may have to unplug the power supply for the battery Icon to show on that same config dialogue you can choose to always show the battery in the tray.
Yes, Cinnamon Desktop. I tried what you said, so let me explain more of what you said. The battery icon on the tray now shows the brightness icon. I think something is corrupt. When I right click on the BRIGHTNESS icon and click configure, opens a Power manager window. Display and always show batteries are my options. I changed the "Display" option to show percentage and time remaining.

I unplugged the power cord, back in. So I feel the power settings are corrupt or confused based on the battery icon no showing the brightness symbol. Also when going into configure system settings. When I attempt to click on the Power TAB, Sound TAB, or Display TABS it becomes unusuable for appx 50.5 seconds. Then I can use the tab I clicked on. If I click on any other tabs not mentioned. They work instantly! Hope I gave you information you needed. Again, I like understanding this and love figuring stuff out. This isn't keeping me from using my laptop, but it is a challenge I would like to fix!

Can I somehow get something to analyze or check for errors. When I was working on my plex concerns, I was also looking at a display concern. Maybe I changed something somewhere and that explains why the BATTERY icon is now the BRIGHTNESS icon? I'm probably babbling too much, but the more I can say, may guide you in guiding me!

Thank you,
Bill
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Bill what do you get if you enter this command in a terminal?

Code: Select all

cinnamon-settings power
you may also want to try removing the power manager aplet from the pannel and reinstall it.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Hardware Support”