Linux Mint 20+; Cinnamon; 64 Bit - Logitech Trackman Marble (T-BC21) Scroll emulation

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ekkon
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 20+; Cinnamon; 64 Bit - Logitech Trackman Marble (T-BC21) Scroll emulation

Post by Ekkon »

I raise this topic from the dead as it still (Jun.2021) seems to be an ever-standing obstacle in Linux Mint 20+ (Cinnamon 64 Bit).
(Or maybe I just did not research this enough?)

None of the previous "XORG.conf.d" modifications and inputs, as well as "Terminal tweaking" suggestions, seem to work in Linux Mint 20+, so, I'm pretty much stuck with you guys here.

1) Is there a way to emulate scroll on Logitech Trackman Marble (T-BC21) in Mint 20+? Famous "8" or "9" button tweak?
2) Is there a way to emulate scroll using a keyboard shortcut i.e. [CTRL]+[Alt]+[Mouse ball movement] (because that would also work for me)?

Any kind soul that can do some good on this? :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Shadeclan
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 20+; Cinnamon; 64 Bit - Logitech Trackman Marble (T-BC21) Scroll emulation

Post by Shadeclan »

Yes, there is! I found this at the ArchLinux Wiki and, with a little guessing, figured out how to get it to work in Mint 20.

Go to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d and edit 40-libinput.conf - add the following section (I put mine below all other sections):

Code: Select all

Section "InputClass"
  Identifier   "Marble Mouse"
  MatchProduct "Logitech USB Trackball"
  Driver       "libinput"
  Option       "ScrollMethod"    "button"
  Option       "ScrollButton"    "8"
  Option       "MiddleEmulation" "true"
EndSection
Works great - enjoy! :D
Shadeclan
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 20+; Cinnamon; 64 Bit - Logitech Trackman Marble (T-BC21) Scroll emulation

Post by Shadeclan »

Now, here's another interesting question - how would I configure the marble mouse to emulate zoom?
diegofps
Level 1
Level 1

Post by diegofps »

I don't know about using libinput.conf, but you could write a script to grab your mouse events and translate them into anything you want using a virtual device.

In fact, I did this to my Logitech Trackman Marble, I mapped the rightmost button as a modifier and now I have Alt+Tab, Back/Forward navigation, and Horizontal/Vertical scrolling on the ball.

If you want to have a look, the source is in my GitHub - https://github.com/diegofps/logitech_ma ... ux_wrapper.

Best!

Return to “Hardware Support”