HP UltraSlim Docking Station and no sound via audio output

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sknalodz
Level 1
Level 1

HP UltraSlim Docking Station and no sound via audio output

Post by Sknalodz »

Dear All,

i decided to move to the Linux Mint from Windows 10.
so far everything works (ok did not manage to use Bitlocker portable drive yet).

but i am a bit more confused why laptop with the UltraSlim Docking station is not giving audio signal to the audio out. there are stereo speakers contected to the audio and previously it was working with W10. With Linux Mint only laptop speakers work.

In the Sound settings in the Devices i see the Speakers HD Audio Controler and Jabro Pro 930.
there is no way to select audio output from the docking station.

Docking station must be working well, 3 screens are recognized.

do you have any idea what to do ?

thanks in advance for any comments.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: HP UltraSlim Docking Station and no sound via audio output

Post by SMG »

Welcome to the forum, Sknalodz.

You have not provided any information about what version of Mint you are using, but the Release Notes for Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon indicate under the "Sound and microphone issues"
If you're facing issues with your microphone or your sound output, please install "pavucontrol".

This will add "PulseAudio Volume Control" to your menu. This application has more configuration options than the default volume control.
If that does not help, please provide the information requested in Section 5 of READ: How To Get Help! so we have an idea of your hardware and how Mint sees that hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Sknalodz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sknalodz »

dear SMG, All,

please find the info:

Code: Select all

System:    Kernel: 5.4.0-74-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 
           wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: HP product: HP EliteBook 745 G5 v: DBXEnabled serial: <filter> 
           Chassis: type: 10 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: HP model: 83D5 v: KBC Version 08.5E.00 serial: <filter> UEFI: HP 
           v: Q81 Ver. 01.15.00 date: 12/29/2020 

Audio:     Device-1: AMD Raven/Raven2/Fenghuang HDMI/DP Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
           driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 04:00.1 chip ID: 1002:15de 
           Device-2: AMD Family 17h HD Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel 
           v: kernel bus ID: 04:00.6 chip ID: 1022:15e3 
           Device-3: GN Netcom type: USB driver: jabra,snd-usb-audio,usbhid bus ID: 2-4.4.2:5 
           chip ID: 0b0e:1016 
           Device-4: SMSC USB2134B type: USB driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid 
           bus ID: 2-4.4.4:8 chip ID: 31b2:0011 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-74-generic 

BIOS of the laptop updated to the new one.
Firmware of the Docking station as well.
sound works on the laptop but somehow cannot be transmitted via docking station.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Sknalodz wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:46 amMachine: Type: Laptop System: HP product: HP EliteBook 745 G5 v: DBXEnabled serial: <filter>
Chassis: type: 10 serial: <filter>
Mobo: HP model: 83D5 v: KBC Version 08.5E.00 serial: <filter> UEFI: HP
v: Q81 Ver. 01.15.00 date: 12/29/2020

BIOS of the laptop updated to the new one.
This link Software and drivers for HP EliteBook 745 G5 Notebook PC indicates version 1.16 is available as of the end of May (if I have the correct link for your computer). I do not know if that will help.
Sknalodz wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:46 amsound works on the laptop but somehow cannot be transmitted via docking station.
Is this HP UltraSlim Docking Station the docking station you have? It does not list any requirements for drivers, so, if I have the correct link, we can eliminate that as a possible issue.

Are the speakers wired only or are they wired and/or bluetooth? You did not list the complete inxi output, so I do not know if your bluetooth drivers (if that is a factor) are loaded.

I do not have a lot of experience trouble-shooting sound issues, so maybe someone else will jump on the thread with some additional ideas.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Jari-P-R
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jari-P-R »

Workaround not a real solution.
I had the same problem and it seems almost impossible to find a solution anywhere. I know that this is an old post but i don't think that i am the only one still looking for a solution. As you can't use the headphone-jack on the laptop since it is blocked by the dock and sound out on the dock doesn't give any sound at all. My solution is that I take out the sound from the monitors headphone-jack. It works for me and hope this can be of use for someone else.
Attachments
Pic01.jpg

Return to “Hardware Support”