Battery Capacity.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bob M
Level 5
Level 5

Battery Capacity.

Post by Bob M »

I’ve been given a Lenovo Thinkpad T440 by a 90y old who has gone blind.

What I would like to know is roughly how long it should run on Battery Power only?

I note the specifications for the Battery is 11.4v 2.06Ah 24Wh.

At the moment I’m getting just under an hour on average, and I’ll buy a new battery if there looks like any significant improvement, but there is no point wasting money on a new battery if 1hour usage is normal. :D

Thanks

Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Battery Capacity.

Post by Larry78723 »

Please post the results of the following command:

Code: Select all

inxi -B
It will tell us the condition of the batteries.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

If you are speculating on cheap battery replacements from that Middle Kingdom, you have to be prepared for possible disappointment.
My purchase in this regard, kindly arranged by Mr. Bezos, brought about $ 25 to an unnamed battery manufacturer and brought me a piece of hazardous waste after 6 months.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

absque fenestris wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:06 am If you are speculating on cheap battery replacements from that Middle Kingdom, you have to be prepared for possible disappointment.
My purchase in this regard, kindly arranged by Mr. Bezos, brought about $ 25 to an unnamed battery manufacturer and brought me a piece of hazardous waste after 6 months.
Not to mention that some computer manufacturers (I'm looking at you, Lenovo!) DRM their batteries so you can't use batteries other than their own. :roll:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:12 am ...
Not to mention that some computer manufacturers (I'm looking at you, Lenovo!) DRM their batteries so you can't use batteries other than their own. :roll:
My very special wish to various manufacturers was to drink their stupid printer ink forever in hell. Now you have to add the eternal eating of batteries to the penalties ...
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

absque fenestris wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:19 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:12 am ...
My very special wish to various manufacturers was to drink their stupid printer ink forever in hell. Now you have to add the eternal eating of batteries to the penalties ...
Adding insult to injury is when the miserable, misbegotten manufacturers no longer stock their *&^%$#@! DRMed batteries. Been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt (or the stupid battery).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

You might get 2-3 hours on a brand new battery. My T430's spend most of their life on mains power and the batteries are not new. Main problem relative to new laptops is that you have a 35W TDP CPU which is quite thirsty.

I have bought 3rd party batteries without problems. You pay an arm and a leg for genuine lenovo batteries. Is it a T440 or a T440p?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

AndyMH wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:29 pm ...
I have bought 3rd party batteries without problems. You pay an arm and a leg for genuine lenovo batteries. Is it a T440 or a T440p?
Do you still remember which third party supplier that was exactly?
In my case, I deliberately didn't choose the cheapest or second cheapest offer - unfortunately, the trick just didn't work ...
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
Bought one in May and one in Feb last year.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Bob M
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bob M »

Thanks All

Result of test
BAT1.png
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Maybe time to get a new one, think this is the battery I bought recently for a T430:

Code: Select all

andy@T432 ~ $ inxi -B
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 38.5 Wh condition: 39.4/56.2 Wh (70%) 
Bob M
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bob M »

Thanks Everyone,

I've ordered another battery ($76:00 NZ) so I'll wait a couple of days and see how the new one looks.

I also tried that code inxi -B (that Larry suggested) on a couple of other laptops and they came back 100% so that's a relief. :D

I won't sign this off as "Solved" just yet as I don't want to tempt fate. :D
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

Bob M wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:15 am What I would like to know is roughly how long it should run on Battery Power only?
I note the specifications for the Battery is 11.4v 2.06Ah 24Wh.
Result of test
How long the laptop can run until the battery runs down depends on power consumption.

Comments:
- 11.4v is the voltage (potential difference) of the battery.
A new battery must have the same voltage, this is important.

- 2.06 ah is the maximum amount of electrical charge that, according to the manufacturer, the battery can store.
You can use a larger capacity battery.

- 24 Wh is the (theoretical) energy that this battery can supply. In practice the battery will not be able to provide a power of 24w for 1 hour.
You can use a battery with a higher energy capacity.

The command "inxi -B" shows the energy currently stored in the battery. The battery may be charging or discharging.

A battery is bad when it can no longer hold a charge, it is no longer possible to charge it.

Return to “Hardware Support”