[SOLVED] Recovery possible?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CWW
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Recovery possible?

Post by CWW »

Hi,

I was installing LMDE on my computer. I did not know how this partitioning thing works, so I created a new partition table on accident, and it wiped my HDD. I backed up my files on a USB, but I want to make sure all of my files are safe, however, all of my files on my previous OS (Windows) were lost. Is there a chance I could recover my files even though it has been erased?

Please answer this as soon as possible.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Recovery possible?

Post by Moonstone Man »

CWW wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:04 pm Please answer this as soon as possible.
We answer as and when we can. You aren't paying for our support.

https://www.easeus.com/data-recovery/da ... eeware.htm
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

CWW wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:04 pmso I created a new partition table on accident, and it wiped my HDD.
Like this?
part-table.jpg
all of my files on my previous OS (Windows) were lost. Is there a chance I could recover my files even though it has been erased?
Yes there's a chance, but you probably want to use some windows software for that (probable ntfs partition), like these
https://7datarecovery.com/blog/best-ntf ... -software/

Don't use the disk in the meantime...
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

Since you've wiped your 'C:' drive you won't recover anything on your hard disk. But, since you've backed up the files you wanted to save to your USB, Linux will very likely be able to read it and at least verify that your files are there, and in some cases read and copy them. An option you have is to use your LMDE install as a host machine and install VirtualBox. Then install Windows as a virtual machine, running as a guest under Linux. All you need to do that is a Windows .iso, and it will need to be W7 or later because those Windows systems will run without registering, if you don't happen to have a valid license laying around. Once the Windows VM is up and running, you can configure it to recognize and read your USB drive and you can copy your files to the running virtual machine. You can also set up file sharing between the host and guest to trade files back and forth or to copy to clipboard and paste between systems. This forum has a virtual machine section, and there are many internet how-to videos for setting up VirtualBox if you go that route.
CWW
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CWW »

Thanks to all of you guys that replied.

Return to “Hardware Support”