Mouse issues - SOLVED

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Qwazert
Level 3
Level 3

Mouse issues - SOLVED

Post by Qwazert »

I am running LM 20 Cinnamon v 4.6.7 Kernel 5.4.0-80-generic
I have a MS wireless mouse with wheel....whenever I roll the wheel, the effects are erratic to say the least.
If I roll the wheel upwards, sometimes it will scroll up...sometimes down....sometimes up AND down.
Scrolling through ANY page or document is an exercise in patience...but I don't see any settings for the mouse anywhere. In older versions of LM, unplugging the dongle solved the problem, but not any more.

Help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mouse issues

Post by djph »

Does the mouse exhibit this behavior in a live session / on the install media?

What about on a different PC?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I have four MS wireless 3500 mice and they all behave flawlessly. Which MS mouse?

EDIT - well perhaps not flawlessly, occasionally it can get a bit erratic and I do unplug/plug the usb transceiver or move it to a different usb port. Running LM20.1 cinnamon.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Qwazert
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Qwazert »

It is model 1737 MS wheel mouse.

I swapped it for a spare 1383 that I have for my laptop and so far it hasn't displayed the same erratic behaviour, so I might stick with this one...although I like the 1737 better because it is larger and fits my hand better.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Qwazert wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:53 pm It is model 1737 MS wheel mouse.

I swapped it for a spare 1383 that I have for my laptop and so far it hasn't displayed the same erratic behaviour, so I might stick with this one...although I like the 1737 better because it is larger and fits my hand better.
It isn't clear, do you have two computers? The laptop that the 1383 was used on, have you tried the 1737 on it or on any other computer?
Has it become faulty?
You could dismantle it and see if dirt / dust is causing the problem
Qwazert
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Qwazert »

This is something I will look into.
I just thought that maybe it was a software/hardware thing that could be resolved with a quick tweak, but it appears that it is a physical issue with the mouse itself. I guess I should have tried that avenue first.

Thanks to all who offered assistance.

Return to “Hardware Support”