Microphone noise on Linux Mint 20.2

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rodrigosilva0494
Level 1
Level 1

Microphone noise on Linux Mint 20.2

Post by rodrigosilva0494 »

Hello!

First of all, I might have some difficulties in describing the problem I'm facing, since English is not my native language. I apologize for that :)

I have recently updated to Linux Mint 20.2, and I use Cinnamon 5.0.5. I am not sure that this problem started after the update, but I have noticed a noise while using my headset microphone. I am sure that the problem is not with my microphone neither with my computer, since I don't notice this problem with Windows 10 (dual boot). Additionally, my computer microphone (not the headset one) works properly.

I have followed the same steps shown in the link below, but none of them worked with me.
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=332548&sid=45abb72 ... 0ec0891460

If anyone could help me with this issue, I'd really appreciate it :)
Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Microphone noise on Linux Mint 20.2

Post by Petermint »

On previous machines with previous headsets, the results depended on analogue line input or a USB device. What are you using?

Line input can be a problem if you have something like the input turned way down in the OS then amplified by a huge amount in the application. The same can happen in Windows and when the OS applies too much amplification.

I chucked one USB line adapter because it was horrible at converting line input to the USB digital stream. The replacement was a good brand of headset with a USB connector.

Every device and cable in the input chain can add a mismatch or poor conversion. You find every possible setting in the OS and applications. If that does not work, the next best test is often to borrow devices of different brands as some brands push signals way to far.
rodrigosilva0494
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Microphone noise on Linux Mint 20.2

Post by rodrigosilva0494 »

Hello, Petermint. Thank you very much for your answer.

I am sorry, but I didn't understand what you meant when you asked me about what I am using. I don't know if this will answer your question, but I use a "normal" heatset, it is the same that I use with my smartphone or any other device.

I noticed this noise started to happen after I updated to 20.2 version, but I am not sure this was the real cause. Btw, I don't have any problems with the audio, it works properly. The only problem is when I use the microphone, although it works fine with Windows 10. Wouldn't it be possible to test some changes in the settings of my computer?

Thanks!

Return to “Hardware Support”