Linux mint 20.2 or Edge iso?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NitroAtariNinja
Level 1
Level 1

Linux mint 20.2 or Edge iso?

Post by NitroAtariNinja »

Hello everyone,

I am planning to try once again to get linux working properly on my system. Years prior, I would go between ubuntu and mint with no issues.
Last year, before everything went crazy, I upgraded my system. I'm running a Rzyen 3950x, 32gb ddr4, and the other important part is a 500gb Western digital blue NVME M.2 ssd.

Again, before upgrading all of this, my previous system ran linux just fine. I have tried multiple times in the past, to install linux on my Ryzen system
without much luck. Boot the live usb, the installer runs, no issues till right at the end of installing the system, the installer crashes with an error and I'm
left without a working system. I do not remember the error right now, but someone had told me to try running the Edge Iso of mint. That did install,
however I had the same issues I have seen with other people. Slow load times, slow data transfers, and the system overall just moving sluggish compared to
running Windows 10. I feel like the issue might be with my NVME drive? But i see tons of posts about issues with Ryzen 3rd gen, and that the 5.11 Kernel has
a lot of fixes for that.

I'm am posting here, to see if there is anything I should know ahead of time before installing, and to also use this post for when I do install mint again in case
there are issues. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Linux mint 20.2 or Edge iso?

Post by Moonstone Man »

NitroAtariNinja wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:07 pm ... the installer crashes with an error ... I do not remember the error right now ...
I'm am posting here, to see if there is anything I should know ahead of time before installing
The Edge should work well on a 3950X system, and the 5.4 kernel works just fine with NVMe devices and the 3950X. Not much more than that can be said apart from reminding you that technical support relies on cold, hard facts, not forgotten error messages, so the advice is to take a screenshot of the error(s) or write them down.

Return to “Hardware Support”