HP Envy x360 Tablet mode and screen rotation not working

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
benTomato
Level 1
Level 1

Re: HP Envy x360 Tablet mode and screen rotation not working

Post by benTomato »

I will first reinstall LM with the newer kernel as default, maybe this solves the issues I have or gets me close to get everything working. I'll report back when I done that, hopefully in a few days since my main problems still hasn't been solved.
benTomato
Level 1
Level 1

Post by benTomato »

I finally got around to reinstalling LM with the Kernel 5.11. In general it works fine, but the touch screen support is still not great. When I open the settings I can scroll using the touchscreen but the cursor still keeps being shown. When using Firefox or the menu on the bottom left, scrolling using the touchscreen doesn't work at all. Maybe I missed a setting? The only thing I changed relating to touch screen support was the slider "Disable automatic screen rotation".
Controlling display brightness and sound using the buttons does work, but the indicator light on the F5 button (turn sound completely off/on) doesn't work, but since this is also an issue on Ubuntu, I think it's not related to LM. Flipping into tablet mode also works great and deactivates the keyboard properly. I haven't noticed any other problems yet, we'll see if there is something else.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

benTomato wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:24 am I finally got around to reinstalling LM with the Kernel 5.11. In general it works fine, but the touch screen support is still not great. When I open the settings I can scroll using the touchscreen but the cursor still keeps being shown. When using Firefox or the menu on the bottom left, scrolling using the touchscreen doesn't work at all. Maybe I missed a setting?
Check the Graphics Tablet app to see if there are any settings related to your touchscreen.

There are different types of touchscreen technology so finding answers can sometimes be a challenge. It seems odd that Firefox does not work at all, but they've been making a lot of changes lately so maybe there is a setting in Firefox you can change.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
benTomato
Level 1
Level 1

Post by benTomato »

The Graphics Tablet app doesn't show anything. I need to connect one first it says.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

benTomato wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:34 am The Graphics Tablet app doesn't show anything. I need to connect one first it says.
Okay. There are different touchscreen technologies and sometimes some of them show in that app.
benTomato
Level 1
Level 1

Post by benTomato »

Do you've any other ideas to resolve the problems?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

benTomato wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:28 am Do you've any other ideas to resolve the problems?
Are you running the most recent BIOS/UEFI available for your computer? You mentioned there was one earlier in the thread, but you hadn't yet updated at that time.
benTomato wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:24 amIn general it works fine, but the touch screen support is still not great. When I open the settings I can scroll using the touchscreen but the cursor still keeps being shown.
I'm not understanding what you are expecting to have happen. Would you not still want to see the cursor? Or are you expecting it to appear and disappear?
benTomato wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:24 amWhen using Firefox or the menu on the bottom left, scrolling using the touchscreen doesn't work at all.
This could be a calibration issue (ie. the settings of where the touchscreen is located in relation to where the physical boundaries of the screen are located). Is scrolling working in other locations?

Are those two items the remaining issues?
benTomato
Level 1
Level 1

Post by benTomato »

SMG wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:17 pm Are you running the most recent BIOS/UEFI available for your computer? You mentioned there was one earlier in the thread, but you hadn't yet updated at that time.
You're right, I also remember found an update. I'll try to install it later but this could take me some time, so I'll report back when I've done that.
SMG wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:17 pm I'm not understanding what you are expecting to have happen. Would you not still want to see the cursor? Or are you expecting it to appear and disappear?
I would expect the cursor to vanish when using the touchscreen, like on Ubuntu GNOME or Windows etc.
SMG wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:17 pm This could be a calibration issue (ie. the settings of where the touchscreen is located in relation to where the physical boundaries of the screen are located). Is scrolling working in other locations?
Only in a few. In the settings app e.g. but in the menu (when you click on the LM logo) it doesn't work at all.
SMG wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:17 pm Are those two items the remaining issues?
As far as I remember/know yes, if I find anything else (again) I'll mention it.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

benTomato wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:56 am
SMG wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:17 pm This could be a calibration issue (ie. the settings of where the touchscreen is located in relation to where the physical boundaries of the screen are located). Is scrolling working in other locations?
Only in a few. In the settings app e.g. but in the menu (when you click on the LM logo) it doesn't work at all.
If I click on the LM logo, I have to move the cursor to the application list before I can scroll. Nothing scrolls after clicking on the LM logo.

However, I have effects turned off so maybe my results are not typical? I turned some back on, but I still didn't get scrolling after clicking the LM logo. Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean.
benTomato
Level 1
Level 1

Post by benTomato »

Sorry for the late response. I updated my BIOS to the latest version, but nothing changed as expected since Ubuntu GNOME works fine.
SMG wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:03 pm If I click on the LM logo, I have to move the cursor to the application list before I can scroll. Nothing scrolls after clicking on the LM logo.
I mean when I use LM only with touch screen "mode", I first tap on the LM logo to open the menu. When the menu is opened, I can't scroll through the applications. Since I don't have a mouse at this point, I can't move it their first.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

benTomato wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:35 pmI mean when I use LM only with touch screen "mode", I first tap on the LM logo to open the menu. When the menu is opened, I can't scroll through the applications. Since I don't have a mouse at this point, I can't move it their first.
Maybe someone else will have some ideas.
benTomato
Level 1
Level 1

Post by benTomato »

SMG wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:13 pm
benTomato wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:35 pmI mean when I use LM only with touch screen "mode", I first tap on the LM logo to open the menu. When the menu is opened, I can't scroll through the applications. Since I don't have a mouse at this point, I can't move it their first.
Maybe someone else will have some ideas.
Again sorry for my very late reply. Thank you for trying to resolve my issue and being patient. I will use Ubuntu for now, since it works perfectly fine. If someone else has an idea, I would still like to know how to resolve these issues if they can be resolved.

Return to “Hardware Support”