Only 2GB out of 96GB showing

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
virgiltu
Level 1
Level 1

Only 2GB out of 96GB showing

Post by virgiltu »

I had mint installed for some time. I had to move the computer to another room and after a shut down I now only show 2gb out of 96gb. I thought maybe there was an issue with the computer.

1. Bios will show all 96gb.
2. CPUx and lshw | grep -A 8 bank will show all the 16gb sticks.
3. I livebooted a new mint usb and all 96gb are showing also.

However when i boot back into my normal installation only 2gb will show up. When using command "free" i only see 2gb also.

I am at a loss here on what it could be. Obviously it is not the ram as it works in the live usb version, any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Only 2GB our of 96GB showing

Post by xenopeek »

A similar sounding issue viewtopic.php?f=46&t=356236 — where only 1.25 GB out of 32 GB was shown when booted from the installed Linux Mint but all 32 GB when booted from the Linux Mint installation USB — had as solution to toggle secure boot in the BIOS. If it's currently on, try switching it of. If it's currently off, try switching it on.
virgiltu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by virgiltu »

Just tried it but for some reason my mint drive is gone if i change from legacy to UEFI. I will have to test more tomorrow. The odd part is that I did not change anything in the bios. This has always been the default boot setting.

Thank you for the help.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Can you recall if you did an update recently? Perhaps the Linux kernel? You can check in Update Manager, in the View > History of Updates menu.

It may be worth trying booting a previous kernel. You can do so by holding down shift key while booting the computer, to force the GRUB boot menu to show if it's not shown by default, then under advanced boot options you should have the option to boot a previous kernel version. Boot an older kernel version and see if that makes a difference in the free output.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Please execute this command and post an output (use SELECT ALL button to copy this long line):

Code: Select all

sudo dmesg | grep 'BIOS-e820: \[mem' | sed -r 's/.*mem (0x.*)-(0x.*)\] (.*)/\1|\2|\3/g' | awk -F '|' '{printf "%10s %15.2f MB\n", $3, (strtonum($2) - strtonum($1)) / 1024/1024 }'
-=t42=-
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

It will also be useful to know system specs, to know if there is something in common with the other affected user. Could you run the command inxi -Frxxxz on the terminal and share output here? You can select all output text and copy it through the terminal's Edit menu.
virgiltu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by virgiltu »

Thank you for all the support. After a lot of testing UEFI would not boot anything. Not sure why but i found that some Dell Server will just get a black screen like mine did. After resting the bios still same issue, all live drivers reported full 96gb. i than connected a HDD with Windows 11 and all 96gb were also there. I got to frustrated and just backed up everything for a new install. After the new install all 96GB were now showing. Still odd that this happened, I am sure the issue was something causing this in the OS. This system is a file server and it was not connected to the internet, so no updated of any kind. I simply powered it off and moved it to another room. But the backup and restored worked and now it is all working again. i just need to figure out how to set my SSD trimming on and what ever i had installed in the CRONs. Thank you again for jumping in to help me.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

@LClarck007 - If you need help with a problem, please start a thread of your own. Please read  How to get help paying special attention to item #5.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.

Return to “Hardware Support”