[SOLVED] USB Mouse Axis, both are inverted, some help needed

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xanaki
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] USB Mouse Axis, both are inverted, some help needed

Post by xanaki »

You can read the problem and eventual solution from below but to summarize.

I replaced the battery in my USB wireless mouse and the x/y axis reveral does not occur anymore. Weird stuff for old timer.

----

Hola folks,

I realize this might not be a Mint distro specific issue, but as I am using it I'll post it here. I did post this in r/linuxmint earlier but nobody has answered or up/downvoted the post. So, lets try here. <3

I've been trying to get my USB Mouse (cheap Trust wireless mouse) working correctly on my Linux Mint (v20.2, latest updates) with Cinnamon (v5.0.5) desktop. It is installed on my "old" Macbook Air (Intel i5-5250U/1.6GHz, 8GB). The laptop integrated touchpad works well but the external USB mouse has both axis' inverted. I did this MacOS -> Mint transition few weeks ago and I will never look back <3

I've been trying several methods to fix this so you can't blame me of not trying atleast. ;) But with no luck, axis' stay inverted whatever I do.

My mouse is identified just by "2.4G Mouse" with id number of 10

Here are some things I've tried:

1. Creating a transformation matrix of

Code: Select all

xinput set-prop "2.4G Mouse" "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" -1 0 1 0 -1 1 0 0 1"
2. Creating a 50-invertaxes.conf in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d With following:

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier  "Invert Mouse"
    MatchProduct    "2.4G Mouse"
    MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
    Option      "InvertY"       "true"
    Option      "InvertX"       "true"
EndSection
3. Setting the Evdev Axis Inversion property for that device

xinput set-int-prop "2.4G Mouse" "Evdev Axis Inversion" 8 0 1 
None of the above work for me. If've tried with and without rebooting the system, but setting the mouse orientation setting should work without reboot. SCREEN ORIENTATION change works without reboot so why not the mouse axis inversion then ...

So what am I doing wrong? There must be a way to fix this.

This is a call for help. I'm not exactly a Linux n0b since I've been using Linux since early Red Hat versions, then mostly Ubuntu but Mint since like 3 weeks ago. Whats new is that few weeks ago I ditched the MacOS and installed Mint on it (yahoo!). Everything else on that Mac works perfectly, except this USB mouse thingy.

So any help would be nice. I do not die if this external mouse does not work as this MacBook Air has the touch pad. But it would be nice to get the mouse working as well. Oh, I haven't tried any other external mouses yet, I'll have to dig my reserves and try to find one (some dear day)...

Hjelpv! <3
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bring me a shrubbery, Shrubbery of Mint. Ni!
From Finland with love and liquor since 1972.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: USB Mouse Axis, both are inverted, some help needed

Post by gittiest personITW »

Welcome to the forums.

Could you go to the following link and follow number 5 as it will give more info about your system:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444

Also what is the output to the following command:

lsusb
Has the mouse ever worked properly? If so, in what OS?
Does it do the same in Live Mint? Or in other Live distros?
xanaki
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xanaki »

Even with tens of years of Linux, programming and hardware experience it never occured me originally to test that mouse on another computer :) Thanks to your message I tested that mouse on another computer and it indeed seems that the problem is the mouse itself, not the Linux OS nor the MacBook hardware. It does the exact same reversed x- and y-axis on another PC computer with Windows 10.

The mouse worked fine a week ago, I never thought that mouse itself would reverse the axis directions.
It's some cheap $10 USB-wireless mouse from Trust.

I even then plugged in another wireless USB mouse to my MacBook Linux-box and it worked fine out of the box, like it should be.

I'll have to Google now if that mouse has some kind of method which can be used to reverse those axis directions. Or I'll just throw it in to trash bin and buy a new one, it costed like $10 anyways. :)

This surely was a new one to me, I never would've thought that the mouse itself can have a fault (or some HW configuration error) which causes both x and y axis' to reverse.

This question can now be closed.
xanaki
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xanaki »

This gets even more weird.

I did a Google search and one result said "Old batteries can cause wireless mouse to reverse direction". As a person who has studied electronics, I was like "*NO WAY* that can't happen".

In disbelief I plugged in a new AA-battery to the mouse. Then plugged the USB dongle to my MacBook (Linux Mint) and yup, the mouse works. Direction is no more reversed.

Humm.... guess anything is possible with electronics.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: [SOLVED] USB Mouse Axis, both are inverted, some help needed

Post by gittiest personITW »

That is a new one on me but good to know.

Thanks for posting the fix.
lucasew
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] USB Mouse Axis, both are inverted, some help needed

Post by lucasew »

I also had this problem with a cheapo inphic chinese mouse that the batteries cost me much more than the mouse itself.

I solved restarting it, like turning it off and on using it's switch and it's new again.

Good to know that it can be a battery problem.

Return to “Hardware Support”