New english keyboard installed (after german one) - configuration possible without reinstalling LM?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PhinuxSpearmint
Level 1
Level 1

New english keyboard installed (after german one) - configuration possible without reinstalling LM?

Post by PhinuxSpearmint »

Hey guys!

I'm working on a Lenovo Thinkpad E351 (2013).

As my former Laptop keyboard (german/ "QWERTZ") gave up working I bought a new one but accidently got an english one (QWERTY). Now it's working fine but some keys are wrongly designated and others kind of disappeared (because some of the keys have another shape).

As the keyboard-setting was done when I installed Linux Mint I'm asking myself if there's a possibility to change it afterwards (now) without having to reinstall LM.

Can you help me with that?

Thanks in advance and cheers :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
frank84
Level 2
Level 2

Re: New english keyboard installed (after german one) - configuration possible without reinstalling LM?

Post by frank84 »

Hello PhinuxSpearmint,

I am just a beginner, but I will try to help you.

I don't know what LM version/edition you are running but I can tell you how I believe the problem might be solved in LM 20.2 Edge Cinnamon edition (which is what I have) installed on a desktop computer, and hopefully, the same procedure will work for you.
  • Open the LM Menu and type in "keyboard" and hit enter to open the keyboard app
  • Select the "Layouts" tab near the top of the app window
  • Click on the "+" sign located in the lower-left corner of the app window
  • In the new window that pops up, scroll down the alphabetical list until you see a variety of German keyboard layout options
  • By clicking on one in the list, you will have options to either preview or add the selected new keyboard layout
I hope this works for you and solves your problem.

Good Luck!
PhinuxSpearmint
Level 1
Level 1

Re: New english keyboard installed (after german one) - configuration possible without reinstalling LM?

Post by PhinuxSpearmint »

Thank you very much!
I will try that out. I am not exactly sure either which version I am running, I think it is the 20.1 LM Cinnamon ;)
Have a nice day!
frank84
Level 2
Level 2

Post by frank84 »

You can find out exactly what version of LM you have, plus much more information, by typing "system info" into the LM Menu and pressing enter.

I hope you have been able to get your keyboard issues straightened out.

Return to “Hardware Support”