[SOLVED] Charging Issues

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cloud_dancer
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Charging Issues

Post by cloud_dancer »

Hello…

I am running Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon (edge version) and have come across some issues.

I have an asus vivobook i7 laptop..

If I plug the charger into the laptop the icon on the taskbar does not show as charging but the charging light on the laptop is on. Also if I go into power information it shows the charger is “online” and if I unplug it the status shows as offline.

Now, when the icon does not show charging if I reboot the laptop and boot back into mint the icon shows its charging.

Also, If i unplug and plug in the adaptor multiple times on occasion it starts showing the charge icon.

At first I thought it was the charging socket on the motherboard but if that was the case the icon would not appear to work on reboot and it would not charge when the laptop is switched off so it seems to be an issue or bug in mint. Also, the status in setting shows the charger as online and when i remove it goes offline so the socket is ok.

**** when the icon does not show charging the laptop is not charging and is using the battery *****

PS: Also, if I start the laptop with the powercord plugged in none of the issues of the above occur so it points to a bug or an issue.

Does the kernel include drivers for the power and battery? I did update the kerbel, but I think these issues were there before the kernel update.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Charging Issues

Post by Grayfox »

When you plug your charger in does the backlight level change?

I too am having a similar issue with my Asus UM425UAZ when I plug in the charger in and the charging indicator does not change, but it will after a short time.
While I am not 100% sure, I think this is a bug with the way Asus have implemented ACPI and the kernel not understanding when the laptop is in a charging state.

But dont fret, just cause the icon is not showing it changing does not mean the laptop battery is not beingcharged.
If the charging light is on, the charging circuit is active.

Type the following into the terminal

Code: Select all

inxi -Bx
You will get an output regarding the Battery and its current power state.

As you can see in my screenshot, I just did.
My laptop current power state is "Charging", but the taskbar icon is showing running off battery.
Screenshot from 2021-09-26 11-47-36.png
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
cloud_dancer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cloud_dancer »

Hi

I will run the command tonight and post the outcome. Just seems strange a reboot fixes it or like you said it can randomly appear. I also find unplugging it multiple times makes it appear.

Also if I go into power statistics it shows the battery as in use but it also shows the power supply as online. So mint knows there is an AC power source connected however it wont engage the charge status.

Yep, it definitely has the charge light on the side of the laptop on. Guess I am worried it will over charge and blow up the battery.

I mean worse case scenario is I just have to boot with power already connected or charge it when its off.

Seems a lot of people has had this issue with mint 20..

Seems to have only appeared with the latest update to the 5.11 kernel that is valid till Feb 22

PS: when the icon does not show charging on yours what does it say in power statistics?
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

cloud_dancer wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:05 pm Also if I go into power statistics it shows the battery as in use but it also shows the power supply as online. So mint knows there is an AC power source connected however it wont engage the charge status.
If the terminal shows the status as "Charging" the kernel knows its charging.
cloud_dancer wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:05 pm Guess I am worried it will over charge and blow up the battery.
You wont blow the battery, the laptops charging circuitry is there to protect the battery from excessive discharge, excessive overcharge, excessive temperature, excessive current draw.
cloud_dancer wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:05 pm I mean worse case scenario is I just have to boot with power already connected or charge it when its off.
This would be because their is no change in power states.
So the correct icon is provided on login.
cloud_dancer wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:05 pm Seems to have only appeared with the latest update to the 5.11 kernel that is valid till Feb 22
I recall having this issue with the Stock 5.4 Kernel as well.
cloud_dancer wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:05 pm PS: when the icon does not show charging on yours what does it say in power statistics?
Under Power Statistics it does still show "Discharging" while the inxi -Bxx command shows charging, when Power Statistics changes to "Charging" the taskbar icon does also change too.

But, as like you If I unplug and replug my laptops charging cable it will change the icon as well.

Another thing I have noticed is after the icon changes by itself(no removing and reinserting the charger to force the change).
When you remove the charger the icon does not change, until a short time later.
Screenshot from 2021-09-26 12-23-47.png
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
cloud_dancer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cloud_dancer »

Grayfox
Hi

sorry for the late reply.

I just run the command in terminal and yes it showed the battery status as charging and within a minute or so the icon changed to show as charging.

So seems its a known issue, strange I haven't noticed this before but normally when the battery is low I plug the charger in and carry on without taking to much notice.

I also have another issue that when I put mint I have no sound but simply locking and unlocking the screensaver sound kicks in.

Thanks again, was worried I had a hardware issue.

PS: That command I executed in terminal doesn't download anything does it? Very weary on using terminal due to what can be done with it. Is inxi a part of mint or did I just download this tool from terminal without knowing it?

Edit: What is the difference between inxi -Bx and inxi -Bxx notice to in the above post.

Notice you mentioned inxi -Bx and inxi -Bxx and also in your screenshot you have inxi -Bxxx what does the extra x do to the command?
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

cloud_dancer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:42 am PS: That command I executed in terminal doesn't download anything does it? Very weary on using terminal due to what can be done with it. Is inxi a part of mint or did I just download this tool from terminal without knowing it?
Nothing to fear from the terminal, Plus you will need to learn how to use it.
As for that command, it just gets system info

Anything dangerous having to do with the terminal will require a "sudo" password to do anything, so you wont be able to damage anything.
cloud_dancer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:42 am Edit: What is the difference between inxi -Bx and inxi -Bxx notice to in the above post.
The x switch means extra

inix- B outputs the following

grayfox@grayfox-ZenBook:~$ inxi -B
Battery:
  ID-1: BATT charge: 62.4 Wh condition: 63.1/63.1 Wh (100%)

Shows Battery ID
Shows Battery Watt Hours
Shows Battery Capacity

inxi -Bx outputs the following

grayfox@grayfox-ZenBook:~$ inxi -Bx
Battery:
  ID-1: BATT charge: 62.4 Wh condition: 63.1/63.1 Wh (100%) 
  model: ASUSTeK UX425 status: Charging 
Shows Battery ID
Shows Battery Watt Hours
Shows Battery Capacity
Shows Model
Shows Charging Status

inix -Bxx outputs the following

grayfox@grayfox-ZenBook:~$ inxi -Bxx
Battery:
  ID-1: BATT charge: 62.4 Wh condition: 63.1/63.1 Wh (100%) volts: 12.0/12.0 
  model: ASUSTeK UX425 serial: 123456789 status: Charging 
Shows Battery ID
Shows Battery Watt Hours
Shows Battery Capacity
Shows Model
Shows Charging Status
Shows Serial Number of Battery(if present)
Shows Voltage

inxi -Bxxx outputs the following

Battery:
  ID-1: BATT charge: 62.4 Wh condition: 63.1/63.1 Wh (100%) volts: 12.0/12.0 
  model: ASUSTeK UX425 type: Li-ion serial: 123456789 status: Charging 
  cycles: 30 
Shows Battery ID
Shows Battery Watt Hours
Shows Battery Capacity
Shows Model
Shows Charging Status
Shows Voltage
Shows Serial Number of Battery(if present)
Shows Charging Cycles

Sometimes less info is more helpful as you're not inundated with data.

If you ever want to know what inxi does.
Type in inxi --help
It will tell you what each switch does.

This applies to other commands as well, similar to the /? or /help for windows CMD based commands.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

I also have another issue that when I put mint I have no sound but simply locking and unlocking the screensaver sound kicks in
I'm not sure what you meant by " when I put mint " part
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
cloud_dancer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cloud_dancer »

motoryzen wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:13 am
I'm not sure what you meant by " when I put mint " part
Long day, was supposed to say when I turn on the computer and boot into mint sometimes I have no sound but simply locking and unlocking the screen it activates sound.

PS: Thank’s for all your help grayfox, so I take it the inxi command tool is installed in mint by default?
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

:D I feel ya cloud_dancer. You'd laugh at the kind of brain farts I have at work sometimes.
so I take it the inxi command tool is installed in mint by default?
'

Yes and more applicably, most if not all Debian based distros too.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor

Return to “Hardware Support”