Linux Mint 20.2 Samsung Android Device MTP

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
malonn
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint 20.2 Samsung Android Device MTP

Post by malonn »

Hi all, new to Linux and am running into the noob woes. I'm having trouble getting my Samsung Galaxy S10+ running Android 11 (don't know code name for that version of the OS) to connect. When I plug it into the USB 3.0 ports on my PC running Mint 20.2 Cinnamon I get the following error:

"Unable to open folder at SAMSUNG Android"
"No such interface 'org.gtk.vfs.Mount' on object at path /org/gtk/vfs/mount/1"

Now, this only happens when selecting "Transfering files" from the USB options. If I select "Transfering images" it works fine. Finally, selecting "MIDI" doesn't do a thing. I've searched a lot via a search engine and haven't found anything that works. I must say that I haven't attempted to install a lot of different packages because from what I understand, Mint should support Android MTP right out of the box. So, I'm definitely open to suggestions there if someone knows of a rock solid package (I guess that's the point of posting here--suggestions). I also tried enabling USB debug options, which didn't help.

This problem has come up a lot here with older versions of Mint and older versions of Android. I haven't seen much that is recent.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lonestar144
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 20.2 Samsung Android Device MTP

Post by lonestar144 »

I have a Galaxy S9 with Android 10, my DE is Mint 20.2 XFCE. I plug phone to pc, open file manager and click on "Samsung Android". After that, I get a pop up on the phone to allow access, click "Allow" and phone gets mounted. Don't know what the difference would be between Android 11 and Mint 20.2 Cinnamon.
nielo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nielo »

I've moved on from Samsung mobiles but I did own several up to the S8 series and there are still a couple of Samsung tablets in the house. One thing that I was always asked if and when I experienced trouble connecting it to one of our LM devices was "Which cable are you using? Have you tried a different cable?" Using the original Samsung cable usually did the trick...
malonn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by malonn »

Thanks for the replies, guys. What I do is plug in the phone with the original cable supplied with the phone (had trouble with third-party cables), then a popup window appears on my desktop named "Samsung Android" (or something), the phone then asks to allow and when I do, I get that error. I'm not saying it's an Android 11 thing, I was just trying to give as much information as I could to help troubleshoot the issue.

Hopefully someone else comes along with an idea. In the meantime I'll keep Braving.
blsgrn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blsgrn »

I am also facing the exact problem; phone: Samsung Galaxy M12 Android 11, LInuxmint 20.2

update: I found a solution for it. Go to my samsung phone; go to settings; search "android auto", click "android auto" and turn off "android auto" settings. Now you can write, read or delete files on your phone, even though the error message will still appear as soon as you click "allow" on your phone.
malonn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by malonn »

I will try that. Thanks.

Return to “Hardware Support”