old hardware reporting..

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lm2lm2
Level 1
Level 1

old hardware reporting..

Post by lm2lm2 »

Hi guys there, mint user reporting for duty..

I run mint on few laptops, and I have to report some complicated issues :
a/ elitebook 2530p : the wifi doesnt get up after STR several times, I don't know why. I have to set down for five minutes the wifi to get back all the networks list
b/ lenovo flex 20405 : for the wifi we're on the apocalytic. Several times per hour I have a dns general failure, because the wifi just froze and is unable to be used if I don't put the laptop in airplane mode.
c/ when I try to kexec restart the laptop reloads kernel well, but the tactical screen doesn't responds anymore...

d/ bonus one : with windows xp to 8, I was able to browse smb shares from windows to windows using ipv6 local link, which is very very useful (addresses doesnt changes from a network to another, based on mac addres, not dhcp), through \\[fe80::a:b:c:d]\shared\. On nemo it's smb://192.168.1.10/shared for example ; but I guess nemo is compatible with local link ipv6 addresses? I never found the right nomenclature..

running Mint of the following after :
see at the bottom of my post
I temporarly put the "logs" of the two laptops there :
2530p:
https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code ... OT5XecxubX
flex20405:
https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code ... Hn6hS2Crrk

cheers :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: old hardware reporting..

Post by SMG »

lm2lm2 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:52 amI run mint on few laptops, and I have to report some complicated issues :
Welcome to the forum, lm2lm2 .

It is usually best to create multiple threads with each having one issue/laptop per thread rather than putting everything in one post. That way you can put the specific problem in the title of the thread rather than a general title that sounds more like a chat thread than a request for help. A lot of people on the forum focus on helping with specific problems, so if you keep the problem focused, you are more likely to get a response.

It is also helpful to provide the data requested in Section 5 of READ: How To Get Help! in your first post. It helps minimize how many additional questions may be needed.

The data you posted indicates both laptops are running Linux Mint 18 Sarah which went end of life in April and is no longer receiving support. If you would like to continue using these computers while connected to the internet (which it sounds like you do), we recommend backing up any personal data and installing a supported version of Mint.

The HP EliteBook 2530p with an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU L9600 @ 2.13GHz and 4GB of DDR2 memory might be happier running Linux Mint 19.2 (with the 4.15 kernel), but you are welcome to try the Xfce or MATE desktops in Linux Mint 20.2 to see if either feels responsive enough for you.

The Lenovo Flex 2-15 with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4010U CPU @ 1.70GHz and 4GB of RAM should have no problems running Linux Mint 20.2.

The repositories for Linux Mint 18 are no longer available, so our ability to help you with issues with the computers as they currently are would be limited. If you do need to get them running better as they currently are, please let us know.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
lm2lm2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lm2lm2 »

SMG wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:59 pm..
Hi,

I thank you for your reply,
In the idea I run olders mint or linux versions to get an higher reactive behavior : I need cinammon as a good graphical GUI, where I guess my old laptop would never run latest software because of old components. That's why I prefer use old software.

In another point, I use this older version to get on several laptops exactly the same linux environnments, the same commands etc.

I have something a bit strange, regarding kexec :
on the EB2530p, when I do systemctl kexec, it goes to a kernel panic each time.
when I do the following one (I called the script kexec3), it works well.
kexec3:
/sbin/kexec -l /boot/vmlinuz-`uname -r` --initrd=/boot/initrd.img-`uname -r` --command-line="`sed 's/ rhgb\| quiet//g' /proc/cmdline` cmdline="$cmdline acpi_rsdp="/sys/firmware/efi/systab"
/sbin/kexec -e

on the flex20405, I've never success to have webcam/tactical (I guess it's plugged in usb) after a kexec, through script or systemctl.

I trieed on this morning on a c55d-a13p from tosh the same thing, with same software. It's more weird than I thought :
kexec3 goes back to the GUI, but only in CPU rendering mode (I guess its xrendr) so no 3D/opengl
if I use systemctl kexec, it's working well.

it's a bit strange, because the one working on the toshiba, is the one whom freeze kernel on the elitebook. I don't understand why..

this plus usb plus wifi issues.... ahhhem.. :O
Last edited by SMG on Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clipped quote since it was a repeat of the post right above it.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

We still don't know anything about your machine. Please post an inxi -Fxpmzr report. This will give us a concise overview of your hardware and how Mint sees it per  How to get help .

Here is how to generate the report and post it:
Open a terminal window (Ctrl-Alt-t). Make it fullscreen to avoid unneeded linebreaks or chopped lines. Copy the following code and paste into the terminal (Ctrl-Shft-V) then hit Enter/Return:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxpmrz 
exactly as it has been typed here.

Go to Edit, Select All, and then Copy, come back here, click on reply then code tags, </>, and then paste.
The results will help us to help you.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
lm2lm2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lm2lm2 »

Larry78723 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:59 am We still don't know anything about your machine. Please post an inxi -Fxpmzr report. This will give us a concise overview of your hardware and how Mint sees it per  How to get help .

Here is how to generate the report and post it:
Open a terminal window (Ctrl-Alt-t). Make it fullscreen to avoid unneeded linebreaks or chopped lines. Copy the following code and paste into the terminal (Ctrl-Shft-V) then hit Enter/Return:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxpmrz 
exactly as it has been typed here.

Go to Edit, Select All, and then Copy, come back here, click on reply then code tags, </>, and then paste.
The results will help us to help you.
lenovoflex20405:
https://sebsauvage.net/paste/?ecb84aabe ... s7br8gOfk=

c55d-a13p:
https://sebsauvage.net/paste/?fa0054278 ... Ov3nNRIJo=

EB2530p:

https://sebsauvage.net/paste/?758e15878 ... F11eFEuvU=

I don't see solutions for issues regarding wlan, nor usb I guess, but this last one might be solved by doing a reset of usb ports just after kexec right?
I just dont know how to try it..
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

After reviewing the inxi reports for all 3 machines two things stand out:
1. You're using an unsupported LM18 on all 3 machines. LM18 reached end of life this past April.
2. The root partition on all 3 machines is over-full. Root partitions should be below 75% used.

An issue on one or two machines: The root partition should be a minimum of 30Gb.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
lm2lm2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lm2lm2 »

Larry78723 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:33 am After reviewing the inxi reports for all 3 machines two things stand out:
1. You're using an unsupported LM18 on all 3 machines. LM18 reached end of life this past April.
2. The root partition on all 3 machines is over-full. Root partitions should be below 75% used.

An issue on one or two machines: The root partition should be a minimum of 30Gb.
unfortunately upgrade to latest LM will not solve my issues.. nor having much more free space disk, I can't change that..
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

lm2lm2 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:18 pmunfortunately upgrade to latest LM will not solve my issues.. nor having much more free space disk, I can't change that..
Can you explain to us how you know these two statements to be true?

It's not just the root partition that is full, on your elitebook2530p the entire Mint install is only 14GB total and on the Lenovo Flex 2-15 it is only 9GB. With installs that small, you'd probably get better performance by just running Mint from a usb stick.
lm2lm2 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:12 amI don't see solutions for issues regarding wlan, nor usb I guess, but this last one might be solved by doing a reset of usb ports just after kexec right?
I just dont know how to try it..
What "last one"? What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

I have already asked you not to be asking about two different computers in the same thread and you have since then added questions about a third computer. You are making it more difficult for anyone to be able to help you. Many responses depend on the hardware being used and you are using three different computers. Therefore, you can not assume what works on one computer will work on the other computer, especially in the case of WiFi devices.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
lm2lm2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lm2lm2 »

SMG wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:02 pm What "last one"? What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
to find a solution for all my problems.
Mint is a very intuitive and good alternative to others windows/linux systems, but there are still hw issues that Id like to solve.
so how should I do? one thread per machine?

even for the one whom is software related (the ipv6 problem)?

just tell me :)
Last edited by SMG on Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected quote reference.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

lm2lm2 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:15 am ...so how should I do? one thread per machine?

You've been told to do so more than once. Too confusing otherwise. This is a routine suggestion on this and any other decent Linux support forum.

And how do you arrive at "unfortunately upgrade to latest LM will not solve my issues"? You clearly have no basis for that statement. Mint 18.x is NOT SUPPORTED any more.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
lm2lm2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lm2lm2 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:21 am
lm2lm2 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:15 am ...so how should I do? one thread per machine?

You've been told to do so more than once. Too confusing otherwise. This is a routine suggestion on this and any other decent Linux support forum.

And how do you arrive at "unfortunately upgrade to latest LM will not solve my issues"? You clearly have no basis for that statement. Mint 18.x is NOT SUPPORTED any more.
guess on LM 20/21/22 if the bug is still here it will permit to have some help, in the other case old mint are rejected users, thanks you for it :D :D :D
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

lm2lm2 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:13 pm guess on LM 20/21/22 if the bug is still here it will permit to have some help, in the other case old mint are rejected users, thanks you for it :D :D :D
Perhaps you don't realize how selfish your way of presenting things is.

Basically, you're telling : solve my problems.

That's not the way it works : people who solve problems here try to solve them in a way not only to help you, but all the others who have or may have a similar issue. That's why a thread per issue is useful. And if you take a look on the forum you'll see the topics have specific arrangements (Software, Hardware, Installation...) to make a search easier. SMG already explained that to you in her first post.

To use your own labels :
Old Hardware reporting has no meaning for a search.
ipv6 problem with Elitebook 2530p would make much sense for the community.

and the same behaviour with another version of LM won't gave you much credit.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)

Return to “Hardware Support”