[solved] Intel i5 and Iris Xe graphics ?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CuriousMeow
Level 2
Level 2

[solved] Intel i5 and Iris Xe graphics ?

Post by CuriousMeow »

So, I'm considering getting a new laptop. I went to the shop and saw one that I might like. The stuff inside is Intel i5 newest one (11th generation or something) and with Intel Iris Xe graphics (newest one too).
Before buying one, I wanted to check if it would work with Mint already.
I've found 2 topics :
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=352753&p=2038232&hilit=intel+iris
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=359166&p=2081473&hilit=intel+iris

It seems it would need manual tweaking and stuff, which I would like to avoid. So, I'm thinking maybe getting some older model chip and graphic card might be better for me ? I really do not feel like tweaking stuff myself (like upgrading the Kernel) and REALLY do not feel like installing drivers manually. I would rather get something a bit older that works as is than tweaking. I do not need very high specs, I was doing just fine with my "old" laptop, so anything slightly "newer/better" would do.

I'm a bit clueless with all the hardware thingy, so ELI5 please. What would be everybody's recommendation here ? What should I consider getting (Intel stuff only) ? Like, what model and stuff ?

Also, I'm thinking, since I'm not in a hurry, I can wait a couple of months, would waiting for 20.3 solve the potential issues ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Intel i5 and Iris Xe graphics ?

Post by SMG »

CuriousMeow wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:15 amand REALLY do not feel like installing drivers manually.
Intel graphics drivers come in the Linux kernel. There are no drivers for you to install manually.

Most 11th-gen Intel processor graphics work with the Linux Mint 20.2 "Uma" - Cinnamon (Edge, 64-bit) ISO which already has the 5.11 kernel installed. The one solved topic you found is the first case I've seen of that 5.11 kernel not working and I've helped a lot of people with Iris Graphics.

Unless you are planning on buying a computer that is several years old, it is likely you will need to use the Edge ISO (presuming you want to use Cinnamon) or you will need to upgrade the kernel if you are using MATE or Xfce (because those ISOs are only available with the 5.4 kernel).

Upgrading from the 5.4 kernel to the 5.11 kernel can be done by clicking options in Update Manager. The other upgrade (to the 5.13-oem kernel) is just a cut and paste of that one line in a terminal.
CuriousMeow wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:15 amAlso, I'm thinking, since I'm not in a hurry, I can wait a couple of months, would waiting for 20.3 solve the potential issues ?
The 5.4 kernel is the LTS (long-term-support) kernel for all versions of Linux Mint 20, so the same scenario of an Edge ISO for Cinnamon and needing to upgrade if using the other two DEs will still be there with LM20.3.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
CuriousMeow
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CuriousMeow »

SMG wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:05 am Intel graphics drivers come in the Linux kernel. There are no drivers for you to install manually.
Well, that's good news ! :D
SMG wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:05 am Most 11th-gen Intel processor graphics work with the Linux Mint 20.2 "Uma" - Cinnamon (Edge, 64-bit) ISO which already has the 5.11 kernel installed. The one solved topic you found is the first case I've seen of that 5.11 kernel not working and I've helped a lot of people with Iris Graphics.

Unless you are planning on buying a computer that is several years old, it is likely you will need to use the Edge ISO (presuming you want to use Cinnamon) or you will need to upgrade the kernel if you are using MATE or Xfce (because those ISOs are only available with the 5.4 kernel).

Upgrading from the 5.4 kernel to the 5.11 kernel can be done by clicking options in Update Manager. The other upgrade (to the 5.13-oem kernel) is just a cut and paste of that one line in a terminal.

The 5.4 kernel is the LTS (long-term-support) kernel for all versions of Linux Mint 20, so the same scenario of an Edge ISO for Cinnamon and needing to upgrade if using the other two DEs will still be there with LM20.3.
Thank you for your answer, it's very clear and informative.

I use Mate, but could consider Cinnamon instead, why not. What's an Edge ISO ? What's the difference with the other ISO ?

Now, if for some reason, I still wanted to get an older Intel/Iris graphic card, which one would you recommend ? Also which i5 CPU would you recommend with it ?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

CuriousMeow wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:39 am What's an Edge ISO ? What's the difference with the other ISO ?
The Edge ISO includes both the 5.11 kernel and the 5.4 kernel. That is the only difference.
CuriousMeow wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:39 am Now, if for some reason, I still wanted to get an older Intel/Iris graphic card, which one would you recommend ? Also which i5 CPU would you recommend with it ?
I leave it to others to make specific recommendations.

From a general standpoint, I have not really had to help others with issues on the previous generation graphics cards. While the 5.4 kernel will install and work on older processors, I generally recommend upgrading to the 5.11 kernel for those with 8th-gen Intel or newer. The newer kernel seems to help with freeze issues that can happen with the 5.4 kernel on the newer processors.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
CuriousMeow
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CuriousMeow »

SMG wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:29 am The Edge ISO includes both the 5.11 kernel and the 5.4 kernel. That is the only difference.

I leave it to others to make specific recommendations.

From a general standpoint, I have not really had to help others with issues on the previous generation graphics cards. While the 5.4 kernel will install and work on older processors, I generally recommend upgrading to the 5.11 kernel for those with 8th-gen Intel or newer. The newer kernel seems to help with freeze issues that can happen with the 5.4 kernel on the newer processors.
Thank you. Your answers helped a lot. :D
CuriousMeow
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [solved] Intel i5 and Iris Xe graphics ?

Post by CuriousMeow »

I'm marking the topic as "solved" as the main question about the Iris Xe graphic card is answered. Recommendations for (slightly) older Intel graphic cards are still more than welcome, though.
CuriousMeow
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [solved] Intel i5 and Iris Xe graphics ?

Post by CuriousMeow »

Follow up :

I just bought the laptop, as there were early sales. Intel i5 1155G7 with Iris Xe graphic card. I haven't installed Mint on it yet (I've spent the whole afternoon at the shop, I've literally just come back), but I've tried the 20.2 Cinnamon Edge from USB just before buying the laptop. Everything seems to work fine, it's just that indeed the brightness control is missing (pressing the buttons does nothing). I'll make sure to upgrade to a newer kernel after I've installed it. I'm still pondering whether I want to install 20.2 or wait for 20.3, though, since I'm not in a hurry.

I didn't know whether dual booting with W11 will be ok or not, and I'm not feeling it, so I had the vendor wipe it and install W10 instead. I unfortunately still need a Windows partition. There was an issue at some point, but another staffer who knows better did the W10 install and it went through, they took care of all the drivers and stuff.

Apparently, if W11 is not activated, you can't do anything on the computer, not even wipe the hard drive clean or install anything else. I don't have a MS account, neither does my partner, so the vendor just used theirs, explaining that W11 would be wiped from the computer and they can't allow me to use it with their account. I'm not feeling W11 anyway, so. The W11 menu looks like a mix between Apple OS's menu and Mint's menu, which is clear improvement from the nonsensical one from W10, but that's the only positive stuff about it IMO.

I might do another follow up after I've done the install. But I might just wait for 20.3, I haven't decided yet.

Return to “Hardware Support”