Confused about the suspend and hibernate. Where are the settings saved?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andreamoro
Level 1
Level 1

Confused about the suspend and hibernate. Where are the settings saved?

Post by andreamoro »

Hello there,

I am trying to tweak the settings so to have Mint 20.2 fully suspend or hibernate and not drain the battery even when the lid is closed overnight.

I thought that adjusting the settings in the Power Management was more than enough (see picture), but in fact checking the

Code: Select all

/etc/systemd/logind.cfg
file, all the lid switch settings are commented.

In looking on this forum, I also found (not yet tested) this other thread, which is even more complex.

Can somebody shed a light on the why the above file is not reflecting the settings in the power management and in any case if there is anything more "gui based" (just in case).

Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot from 2021-10-17 13-02-22.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Confused about the suspend and hibernate. Where are the settings saved?

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

I don't know of anything that has a gui for this. It looks like there is a solution for what you want in the other thread, but you will have to open the terminal window to do this.
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
andreamoro
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andreamoro »

But what about the config file not really in sync with the system panel? That seems to be odd at very least.
Last edited by andreamoro on Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

andreamoro wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:10 amI am trying to tweak the settings so to have Mint 20.2 fully suspend or hibernate and not drain the battery even when the lid is closed overnight.
The issue is most likely one of knowing what hardware your computer's manufacturer has decided should be turned off during the suspension or hibernation.

There are several different S state on a computer. More and more hardware is powered down as the number after the S increases.

It used to be the S3 state was considered the sleep state. Then Windows decided to make it look like it was returning from sleep state faster than it used to be by switching the sleep state from S3 to S2idle. Less hardware is turned off when in S2idle state which means more power is needed to keep the computer running. What state to use for sleep and what hardware is turned off in each state is set by the firmware of your computer.

There are ways to force the sleep state to use S3 rather than S2idle for many computers, however, I am not aware of any which are GUI based. There are several options described in Ubuntu 18.04 - Dell XPS13 9370 no longer suspends on lid close.

Suspend and hibernation are two different actions. Suspend is saving information to RAM and requires the computer to be powered to be able to resume from suspend.

Hibernation is saving to disk. If the computer runs out of power during hibernation, data is not lost because it has been saved to the disk drive. One would just plug in the laptop and the system will resume from hibernation. The last feedback I received (from several users) is hibernation is working by default in LM20.2, but given what is listed in the other thread, maybe it only applies to certain hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Hardware Support”