Questions on using extra drives -RESOLVED

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Questions on using extra drives -RESOLVED

Post by WHVW »

Hi All:

I have two questions here, the first is that I remember reading (somewhere) that you need a line in fstab to allow the boot process to continue if the drive is not present, I just do not remember what that line was, or where I saw it. Does anyone know it?
The second is about designating a file for, let's say, downloaded files. I know how to set the location, but is there a way set a sequence? That is, for example, go to "Downloads" on dev/sdb, if not present, then use "Downloads" on dev/sda.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Questions on using extra drives

Post by GELvdH »

Trying to figure out what you are trying to do.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I remember reading (somewhere) that you need a line in fstab to allow the boot process to continue if the drive is not present
I'm thinking that is not necessary. It is automatic with the bios boot order. It just keeps going to the next one until it finds something to boot.
The second is about designating a file for, let's say, downloaded files. I know how to set the location, but is there a way set a sequence? That is, for example, go to "Downloads" on dev/sdb, if not present, then use "Downloads" on dev/sda.
No - I don't know any way to do that.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

WHVW wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:11 pm Hi All:

I have two questions here, the first is that I remember reading (somewhere) that you need a line in fstab to allow the boot process to continue if the drive is not present, I just do not remember what that line was, or where I saw it. Does anyone know it?...
The "line" you are looking for is "nofail". I have a wonderful memory but, since it is shorter than the attention span of a cat, I made myself a tutorial on how to make an fstab entry. You can also use it to edit and entry:

Automounting Data Drives Using Fstab

1. Go to File System (click on Home in Menu, then click on File system in left panel).

2. Right click on Media and Open as Root.

3. Create folder named with drive label.

4. Copy UUID for drive from Disks and paste into a temporary Writer document.

5. Open terminal and type:

sudo nano /etc/fstab

Then hit enter.

5. In new screen that pops up, start a new line after the last existing line and type:

UUID=(paste UUID here without parentheses)(TAB)/media/(folder name)(TAB)ext4(TAB)defaults, nofail(TAB)0(TAB)0

6. Press CTRL+o

7. Press ENTER to save.

8. Press CTRL+x to exit.

9. Restart the machine.

Here is an example of how the line should look:

UUID=123ec4fd-54e2-4590-8a4b-da43630efd72 /media/Data1 ext4 defaults,nofail 0 0
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

Hi:

Lady Fitzgerald: Thank you for the fstab redux; it will save me some searching and swearing later.

GELvdH : What I am trying to achieve is using a different drive for file storage than for the operating system. Ultimately, I would like to have a separate, central storage server, so that no particular computer would have critical amounts of data on it.
Which leads me to ask: can fstab be configured with an IP address? In other words, could a fstab configuration look something like this: 192.168.1.103 /home/Documents? I know the syntax isn't right, but you get the idea.

Thanks
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

WHVW wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:05 pm Hi:

Lady Fitzgerald: Thank you for the fstab redux; it will save me some searching and swearing later...
:lol: :lol: :lol: That's funny because my tutorial was the result of much searching and swearing. :wink:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Notice you can use ext4 only if that partition has ext4 filesystem so better use auto instead. To avoid this and another problems (as leaving spaces after comma) you can do all that stuff easily with Disks.

Select disk on the left and the partition you want to auto-mount on the right. Then click on wheels icon downside>Edit Mount options
Screenshot from 2021-10-23 20-21-42.png
Switch off User session default
Screenshot from 2021-10-23 20-23-14.png
And complete as desire (mount point on the folder you want,etc)
Screenshot from 2021-10-23 20-25-03.png
Click in OK when finish (you will asked for password), the line in fstab is created and that partiton will be automounted on starting. :wink:
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

Jo-con-Ël:

Now that's what I call cool. I never knew "Disks" could do such tricks. Thank you.

Return to “Hardware Support”