(Solved) Front panel microphone connection not working II

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

(Solved) Front panel microphone connection not working II

Post by Alvin »

I am running linux mint 19.1 on a Dell Inspiron 660s desktop computer, which is at least 5 years old.

The system box has a rear panel microphone jack and a front panel jack. The real panel jack works w/o problems. The front panel microphone jack connection does not work. It is not intermittent nor weak; just dead.

I found a replacement on the internet for the front panel assembly that has the audio jacks, as well as an SD receptacle and two USB ports. It was not expensive, about $14.00 including shipping. I thought maybe my microphone front panel jack was the problem. I replaced it. The good news is that I was able to replace the front panel assembly without damaging other components of my desktop. The bad new is that the replacement I installed did not solve the problem.

So what may be the problem with my front panel microphone circuit? I now know that it is probably not the front panel's microphone jack. Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Front panel microphone connection not working

Post by gittiest personITW »

Can you go to the following link and follow number 5 - you should know this by now:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Front panel microphone connection not working II

Post by Alvin »

I have reviewed the link you provided but find nothing of relevance to my simple question: By replacing the microphone jack and finding no improvement, I raised the question about what deeper condition could be the problem - given that the rear panel microphone jack works. I also mentioned that the two jacks are connected separately - not at the same point - on the motherboard.

I did describe my desktop as an Inspiron 660s running linux mint 19.1.

If you don't know the answer to my question, that's OK. You don't have to know everything!
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Alvin »

gittiest personlTW: I tried to send you a personal message, to your user name at the left. I received a message that it does not exist. Alvin
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Hi,
Haven't received a pm.
No matter - basically, do an inxi report and we'll have more idea about your hardware.
At least you have determined it's not the jack that is the problem.

Or - if it is an oldie machine as you say - just check the internal cabling and see if there is a split somewhere or a kink running towards the front panel.
Or - is the cable an easily replaceable one or a pita?
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Alvin »

to gittiest... The information that would be of value it someone who was really trying to answer my question would be a circuit diagram of the system showing the functional connections to the motherboard. If I had one, I could answer my own question without troubling the kind folks at LMF. I have already done the visual inspection you suggest and already reported that the connection of the front mike receptacle is to its own point on the motherboard. I believe that the problem lies in the motherboard, in the audio amplifier and output distribution circuitry. My good fortune is that the rear panel mike connection works.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Well that is your good fortune indeed.
valouch
Level 2
Level 2

Post by valouch »

At Terminal, type alsamixer.
Type F6 (or Fn+F6 for some notebooks) to select your sound device (not the HDMI one).
Type F5 to view all components.
Use Left/Right Arrows to browse components, not all fit to window.
Find & select Input Source column.
Use Up/Down Arrows to select Front Mic (or Mic if only one port exists).
Find & select (Front) Mic column.
Use M to un/select Mute function.
Use Up/Down Arrows to set level.
Find & select (Front) Mic Boost column.
Use Up/Down Arrows to set level.
Use Esc to exit alsamixer.
Test your new configuration.
Last edited by valouch on Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Alvin »

To Valouch: Thank you for the considerable effort you made to offer me assistance. I shall copy their contents and review them carefully.
Have a nice weekend!
valouch
Level 2
Level 2

Post by valouch »

Alvin: The main problem can be Input Source option - it is often set to Line or BackMic by default.
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Alvin »

To valouch: It was worth a try on the theory that somehow my sound card, on the motherboard, was badly set to mute the front microphone. I experimented with the mixer you supplied and found no effect. I believe if we could see a schematic, we would note two microphone amplifiers, one for front, one for rear panel. I think the front one must have been overloaded or otherwise damaged, a hardware problem. Thanks, again!
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

To check if a microphone input socket is working, open System Settings, Sound and go to the "Input" setting. When your microphone is plugged in it will add its location instantly.

The front microphone and headset sockets are connected to the Front Panel Header outlets on the bottom right of your motherboard including the Power Button connection, the Reset button, Activity light and Power On light. Any microphone connection made there will be identified in System Settings as described above.

Using Audacity, with a microphone connected, you can click on the "Record" button and record via your microphone. You can then use "Play" to hear what you have recorded. You can also enable "Software playthrough of input" in Edit, Preferences, Recording to hear what you are recording.

Please be advised that the information I referred to is valid in Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon using Audacity version 3.0.5 and may work differently in other versions.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Alvin »

Dear Kyphi: I followed your instructions, and while so doing I recall that I had played with the sound settings of my audio devices many months ago. I must have set the front microphone level down to zero for some reason and not have restored it. Your instructions were on the mark. Audacity demonstrated my microphone's function and did Skype on my system. I am most appreciative of your help, as I am of others'. The best help is the one that works. I now have an extra input jack and USB port assembly for a Dell Inspiron 660s.

I am very happy to know that my Dell computer's hardware was not at fault.

Return to “Hardware Support”