[SOLVED - mostly] How to auto-mount a UDF DVD - fstab & permissions help pls.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
louarnold
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED - mostly] How to auto-mount a UDF DVD - fstab & permissions help pls.

Post by louarnold »

I have a desktop with Mint 20.2. The DVD was recorded in UDF format on Windows 10. I have almost got it to mount cleanly on Mint.
The key line in the fstab file is:
/dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,auto,exec,utf8,x-gvfs-show 0 0

The UUID isn't needed for UDF and iso9660 formats
The fstab file and /media/cdrom0 folder has root/root ownership with 755 permissions

When the DVD is inserted, the text "cdrom0" shows in the left column of the explorer. If I click on that, the DVD mounts buts gives an error box: Unable to mounts cdrom0 - operation cancelled. However, the DVD mounts normally and the data on it is accessible.
What causes the error box? What is going wrong?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to auto-mount a UDF DVD - fstab & permissions help pls.

Post by SMG »

This topic seems to be the same general issue as this one you created How to auto-mount UDF DVDs?. Is there a difference?

Maybe something on this webpage How to Mount UDF Volumes in Ubuntu might help you.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
louarnold
Level 2
Level 2

Post by louarnold »

Re. The two posts. You can delete the first. I just couldn't find it after I posted it. Beyond that the information is somewhat different, and the text is abit clearer.

The article you linked to doesn't represent the same circumstances as mine are. But thanks just the same. I don't know where to go for an answer.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

louarnold wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:00 pm Re. The two posts. You can delete the first.
Done.
louarnold wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:00 pmThe article you linked to doesn't represent the same circumstances as mine are. But thanks just the same. I don't know where to go for an answer.
If you could explain how the circumstance is different, perhaps that will trigger some other ideas. Or maybe just the fact we are posting now will catch the eye of someone who might know about this. :)
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

What's happening is probably just that you're racing with the desktop automounter; that is its mount attempt that complains after you already mounted it manually by click-mounting it.

As in... why are you doing what you are doing? You should not normally add a line for removable media such as CD/DVD to /etc/fstab; the desktop automounter will automount on insert without you doing anything. Most certainly having one marked auto in /etc/fstab would be not normal: what it says is that the system tries to mount that DVD on boot every time; you wouldn't normally have the same DVD inserted on boot/reboot every time.
louarnold
Level 2
Level 2

Post by louarnold »

Well, I had no idea there was an auto-mounter until my recent tests. I thought it was all driven by the fstab file.
The title of this post appears to be wrong: the UDF format DVD mounts just fine.

But what I assume to be an iso9660 format DVD does not.

The UDF DVD was created on Windows 10 using the native burning system. It mounted without any parameters in the fstab file. Using lsblk shows the mounted file system as UDF. The drive is mounted as /dev/sr0 to "/media/<username>/<DVD-label>" This gives the user-name and the system access the DVD.

However, the system will not mount another DVD of unknown format (I assume as iso9660). It is readable by Win 10, but I have not yet tried to burn more data onto it. From all the reading I have done, it seemed reasonable to use the fstab mount parameters to direct the system to use "udf,iso9660" to determine the format". In fact this works; the DVD content can be read as normal, but mounting and unmounting permissions get in the way and the DVD free-space is (eventually) substituted for the label, ex: "4.7GB".

So what's left: mounting what appears too be an iso9660 DVD. How do I find out what format it is - using Linux or Win 10? And then how do I tell Linux that its an iso9660 format DVD - assuming it is?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I expect the DVD is a Windows 10 "Packet Writing" DVD, i.e., a format in which Windows pretends that an optical medium is random-access for writing. I don't use Windows but as far as I'm aware you can not or can not normally/easily read those in Linux. Google may know better...
louarnold
Level 2
Level 2

Post by louarnold »

I am now completely confused. Apparently UDF is used by both Mint and Win 10. I then have to assume that some burning app was used, under Mint or Windows, to create the Mint-unmountable DVD. It makes me wonder why K3b complains about long file names, but it might have the packet writing software in the kernel disabled.

The whole point with this issue is that I want to use both Linux and Windows to add sessions DVDs burned previously on the other system. Otherwise its unwieldy to copy files between the two systems via USB flash drives. The ability to read DVDs written by both Linux and Win 10 is therefore quite useful. I have several DVDs burned some 5-6 years ago that backups and archives, not all readable by both Windows and Mint. Bringing them to a common newer format would be a daunting task.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

CD/DVD writing is not a kernel-matter as such (on Linux, but as far as I'm aware also not on Windows). Multi-session works the same on Windows and Linux as a method of adding onto CD/DVD-Rs but Windows' packet writing is something else entirely still and basically a private Windows format/thingy. As said, as far as I'm aware it's not or not easily supported on Linux although Google may know better.

[EDIT] Actually, specifically packet writing may in fact be a kernel matter on Linux as Google just told me --- but that was after promising myself to not Google it. I would say that a very large percentage of questions here on the forum involve questions as to making Linux be compatible with Windows concepts or technologies; not being a Windows user myself really only vice versa is ever of interest to me; shall hence butt out.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

louarnold wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:04 amThe title of this post appears to be wrong: the UDF format DVD mounts just fine.
If you go to the very first post in this topic and click the pencil icon in the upper right, you can change the title of the topic and will change the title on any posts added to the topic after that change.

You also can change the body of the post if you would like to now have it summarize the current state of your question on this issue. A lot of people tend to read the first post and then add a response, so summarizing your questions as they currently are in the first post might be a good idea (especially since two separate topics were merged into one).
louarnold
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED - mostly] How to auto-mount a UDF DVD - fstab & permissions help pls.

Post by louarnold »

Thank you, SMG and rene.

Return to “Hardware Support”