GParted?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LennartL
Level 3
Level 3

GParted?

Post by LennartL »

Why does this sign appear when I try to format an HD?
Skärmavbild vid 2021-10-28 12-59-24.png
What does this mean?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: GParted????

Post by GELvdH »

The long explanation is..

The GUID Partition Table (GPT) is a standard for the layout of partition tables of a physical computer storage device, such as a hard disk drive or solid-state drive, using universally unique identifiers, which are also known as globally unique identifiers (GUIDs). Forming a part of the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) standard (Unified EFI Forum-proposed replacement for the PC BIOS), it is nevertheless also used for some BIOS systems, because of the limitations of master boot record (MBR) partition tables, which use 32 bits for logical block addressing (LBA) of traditional 512-byte disk sectors.

All modern personal computer operating systems support GPT. Some, including macOS and Microsoft Windows on the x86 architecture, support booting from GPT partitions only on systems with EFI firmware, but FreeBSD and most Linux distributions can boot from GPT partitions on systems with either the BIOS or the EFI firmware interface.

In short, ignore it and format the drive
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: GParted????

Post by AndyMH »

If you really want to fix it, have a look at here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/386752/ ... -gpt-table
last answer using sgdisk is simplest.

If this is your system drive you will need to boot from your mint install stick and fix it from there. You cannot make any changes to the partition table while it has partitions that are mounted. Note - this also includes swap partitions which systemd will use without telling you.

On a drive with a gpt partition table, the primary partition table occupies the first 34 sectors on the drive. There is a backup copy on the last 34 sectors on the drive. This is one of the improvements of gpt over msdos/legacy partition tables, there is no backup copy with a msdos partition table.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Re: GParted?

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

What it is not already said is why this happens. Most probably because you have formatted that disk on Windows. Windows does not use that backup table and Windows tools do no create it on formating.

In any case that is not a problem is only a warning (you can ignore or fix) and other tools as Disks wont give/throw. Also you can use that tool to create a new partition table (i.e. format disk). Select the disk on the left and click on upper three points icon on the right >Format Disk... :wink:
Screenshot from 2021-10-28 19-58-45.png
Screenshot from 2021-10-28 19-58-45.png (26.95 KiB) Viewed 546 times
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
LennartL
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LennartL »

This is strange.
I can format them in GParted resize and everything.
But I can not mouting them.
Why???
Looks like this when I try to mounting them:
Skärmavbild vid 2021-10-29 17-00-21.png
LennartL
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LennartL »

Does anyone have a command in the terminal to see if it is possible to reformat a 2.1TB disk and then be able to mount it?
The place is dev/sdi1
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

As per Gparted image the disk you want to format was sdh and now error is when trying to mount sdi1. Isn't it another disk or did you unplug and plug again and why?.

Post back following codes results, please

Code: Select all

sudo lsblk -f
sudo fdisk -l
cat /etc/fstab
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.

Return to “Hardware Support”