[SOLVED] Sleep of Death Issue with iMac Running Linux Mint

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
parkernathan
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Sleep of Death Issue with iMac Running Linux Mint

Post by parkernathan »

I'm running Linux Mint Uma on 2011 iMac (exclusively now, I've wiped out macOS). For a while now, my iMac has has a "sleep of death" issue due to a firmware update Apple applied to it during a security update. If I put the iMac into sleep mode, it basically self-shuts itself down unexpectedly, forcing me to reboot it. This occurred both on the macOS side and has continued over into Linux now that I'm exclusively running Linux Mint. Since Apple refuses to release a firmware update to resolve the issue (being a 2011 iMac), am I out of luck, or is there anything I can do to self-resolve the issue now that I'm running Linux? Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Nathan Parker
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Sleep of Death Issue with iMac Running Linux Mint

Post by SMG »

Yours is a little newer, but check the links/discussion in this topic Does not wake from suspend on Mid-2010 Macbook Pro.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
parkernathan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by parkernathan »

Sounds good. I'll check those out, and if I still have issues, I'll hit up the IRC chat and see if I can get some live assistance. If I find the solution, I'll report back here.
Nathan Parker
parkernathan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by parkernathan »

I hit up IRC, and they mentioned I could try enabling Hibernation instead of using Sleep mode, but didn't provide any instructions to it and sounded hesitant for me to enable it. Does anyone have any suggestions on my trying Hibernation, or should I not venture there?

Thanks!
Nathan Parker
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

parkernathan wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:31 pm I hit up IRC, and they mentioned I could try enabling Hibernation instead of using Sleep mode, but didn't provide any instructions to it and sounded hesitant for me to enable it.
Was hibernation working for MacOS? I do not know the full effects of the bug you mentioned.

Hibernation can sometimes be hit or miss as to whether it works even for non-Apple hardware. People have use the below guidelines successfully on Linux Mint 20 versions. If you did not set up a swap partition large enough, you would probably want to hibernate to a swap file.
How to enable hibernation with swap partition on Linux Mint 19
[GUIDE] How to hibernate to a swap file in Linux Mint 19.x
parkernathan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by parkernathan »

Thanks! I'll look over these. There wasn't an easy way to enable Hibernation on the macOS side, so I never tried it. Apple doesn't make those tweaks easy. :-)
Nathan Parker
parkernathan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by parkernathan »

I'm through the second command of Step 4 here: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=284100 Terminal says:

Code: Select all

nERROR: Hibernation already configured. Remove the existing configuration from /etc/default/grub and add these parameters instead:\n$RESUME_PARAMS";else sudo sed -i "s/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=\"/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=\"$RESUME_PARAMS/" /etc/default/grub;fi
I found rhe grub file to edit, but not sure what to remove in the file to add this text.
Last edited by SMG on Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed code results in code tags.
Nathan Parker
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

parkernathan wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:35 pm I found rhe grub file to edit, but not sure what to remove in the file to add this text.
Please provide the output of cat /etc/default/grub and enclose the results in code tags.

Some of those commands in that tutorial have one make changes to files, but because the person writing it was trying to minimize the number of steps, that is not always obvious to those unfamiliar with the code that is what is being done.
parkernathan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by parkernathan »

Sounds good. My machine is running a process at the moment that's tying it up, but once it's done, I'll report back with that output. Thanks!
Nathan Parker
parkernathan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by parkernathan »

Here you go!

# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
#   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="resume=UUID=cee1a73d-19b7-4623-b9f6-fc7966af4d6b resume_offset=6123519 quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
#GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"
Nathan Parker
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

The default for this line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="resume=UUID=cee1a73d-19b7-4623-b9f6-fc7966af4d6b resume_offset=6123519 quiet splash"
is this

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
So it appears at some point instructions of where to resume after hibernation were added to your system. The UUID is likely for a swap partition or file. The resume offset is the start location the system should get the information when resuming from hibernation.

If you run cat /etc/fstab you will see the specifics for each of your partitions which automatically mount when you boot Mint and should be able to determine to which partition that UUID corresponds.
parkernathan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by parkernathan »

Here's the output of

cat/etc/fstab

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=cee1a73d-19b7-4623-b9f6-fc7966af4d6b /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /boot/efi was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=6011-00A5  /boot/efi       vfat    umask=0077      0       1
##/swapfile                                 none            swap    sw              0       0
#/swapfile  none  swap  sw 0  0
/swapfile  none  swap  sw 0  0
Should I proceed with

sudo update-grub
and go from there?

Thanks!
Nathan Parker
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

parkernathan wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:16 pm

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=cee1a73d-19b7-4623-b9f6-fc7966af4d6b /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /boot/efi was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=6011-00A5  /boot/efi       vfat    umask=0077      0       1
##/swapfile                                 none            swap    sw              0       0
#/swapfile  none  swap  sw 0  0
/swapfile  none  swap  sw 0  0
How many times did you run the lines in that tutorial? Normally there is only one swapfile listed in /etc/fstab. You have one live line and two commented out lines (one of which is double-commented). That is probably why you received the message?

I'm not really sure if you should run sudo update-grub or you need to edit the line I put in my previous post so it goes back to its original so you can re-run step #4 again.
parkernathan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by parkernathan »

I think I accidentally ran it twice. Only meant to run it once.

I've also noticed my screen isn't going black anymore after 10 minutes. When I accidentally ran the command twice and rebooted, could it have caused this?

Thanks!
Nathan Parker
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

parkernathan wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:16 am I think I accidentally ran it twice. Only meant to run it once.
I would think if it was run twice it would be trying to put in the same information so you probably could run sudo update-grub and continued with the next step.
parkernathan wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:16 amI've also noticed my screen isn't going black anymore after 10 minutes. When I accidentally ran the command twice and rebooted, could it have caused this?
Did you or did you not run sudo update-grub? While the changes in the grub file are saved, the changes in the file do not take effect during boot-up unless you ran the update-grub command.

I do not know why the screen might have been going black after 10 minutes unless it was overheating? What graphics does the laptop have?
parkernathan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by parkernathan »

Sorry for the delay in responding and for the hurriedly-written previous posts. Thursday was a holiday here, so I was in a rush to get as much of this done before leaving the office.

I did run

sudo update-grub
today. I'm through the "canihibernate" command, and the output said "yes", so it looks like it's enabled.

I'm going to attempt a hibernate tonight and see how it goes. It looks like it should be successful.

On the screen sleep issue, I actually want my screen to power off/go to black after 10 minutes. I have it set to power off/go to black after 10 minutes in Power Management and Screensaver. It was powering off/going to black after 10 minutes, but now it's no longer doing so. I wasn't sure if the Hibernation settings adjustments I made would cause the issue or if it's a totally new issue. I can post a new thread on it if it's a new issue.

Thanks!
Nathan Parker
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

parkernathan wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:22 pmOn the screen sleep issue, I actually want my screen to power off/go to black after 10 minutes. I have it set to power off/go to black after 10 minutes in Power Management and Screensaver. It was powering off/going to black after 10 minutes, but now it's no longer doing so. I wasn't sure if the Hibernation settings adjustments I made would cause the issue or if it's a totally new issue. I can post a new thread on it if it's a new issue.
Nothing comes to mind for me as to why it might be related, but Apple hardware can have a mind of its own so maybe. :P

Because it seems like a different enough issue, I'd suggest creating a new topic for it after you verify the hibernation is working.
parkernathan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by parkernathan »

True on Apple hardware! Hoping to eventually get a MintBox Pro when I get comfortable enough with Linux Mint.

I put the computer into Hibernation. At first, it looks like it went into Hibernation, then out of Hibernation for a second, the back into Hibernation, then after a bit, it completely rebooted itself. So not sure to think of that.

Thanks!
Nathan Parker
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

parkernathan wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:59 amI put the computer into Hibernation. At first, it looks like it went into Hibernation, then out of Hibernation for a second, the back into Hibernation, then after a bit, it completely rebooted itself. So not sure to think of that.
I seem to recall others noticing their computer rebooted instead of hibernating, but I don't know if it went back and forth first. I think in those cases the issue was the setup in grub was not correct so when the system was sent to grub it thought it was supposed to restart.

You might want to check /var/log/syslog around that time period to see if there are any clues there as to what might be happening.
parkernathan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by parkernathan »

Sounds good. I have the logs pulled up. Anything specific I should be looking for? I could test it again and the moment the reboot happens again, I could check the logs and see what I specifically see.

The screen dark issue resolved itself, so that must have just been a one-off fluke with Apple hardware.

Thanks!
Nathan Parker

Return to “Hardware Support”