(SOLVED) amd rx 6700 xt issue.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Teddy2001
Level 1
Level 1

(SOLVED) amd rx 6700 xt issue.

Post by Teddy2001 »

Hi everyone!

I have pretty new hardware and my GPU is not FULLY supported (AMD Radeon rx 6700 xt). Although it displays the screen i can't utilize my screen 144hz refresh rate since it is locked to 93. Also there is screen tearing when watching videos and some of my games are not supported (says it doesn't support dx11 although my card does).

I have heard that AMD Radeon drivers are pre installed in the linux kernel so is the linux mint 20.2 kernel not supporting my GPU yet? I also cant install any AMD drivers since they haven't made any for this model. So if you guys know about this it would be great to know so that i can resolve the issue. I also ran into a "problem" with my mouse settings. The custom sensitivity does nothing but instead the mouse acceleration controls the sensitivity. Mouse acceleration is not turned on when switching to custom sens so there is some sort of issue there.

Trying my best in terms of English so i hope you understand. Have a nice day!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: My experience with linux mint.

Post by SMG »

Welcome to the forum, Teddy2001.

I have moved your topic from Suggestions & Feedback to the Hardware Support section of the forum because it appears you have questions and would like help on specific issues.

Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
dave1953
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave1953 »

Mint uses 5.4 kernel by default, which does not recognise more advanced processors and/or gpus introduced later. Suggest you need to update the kernel to the 5.11 offered in Update Manager. You probably need to examine the drop down menus offered top left-hand corner in Update Manager, there is an option for kernels. Install 5.11 kernel then reboot your machine.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Teddy2001 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:19 pmI have pretty new hardware and my GPU is not FULLY supported (AMD Radeon rx 6700 xt).
It actually is supported. I have helped numerous people get it working.

However, you are going to need more than just a newer kernel to get it working properly so please supply the requested data.
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

Teddy2001 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:19 pm I also ran into a "problem" with my mouse settings. The custom sensitivity does nothing but instead the mouse acceleration controls the sensitivity. Mouse acceleration is not turned on when switching to custom sens so there is some sort of issue there.
Maybe you already did all that, but just to be sure there's been no miss :
Adjusting Mouse Speed :
- LM/Preferences/Mouse and Touchpad
- under the pointer size bar, check custom acceleration (or speed)
- the acceleration bar appears
- set it according to needs (try without closing until it fits)

Same thing for Sensitivity just below, tick the box and ajust

About AMD GPU, SMG is a far better bet than me. So I'll shut up on that part.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
Teddy2001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Teddy2001 »

SMG wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:35 pm Welcome to the forum, Teddy2001.

I have moved your topic from Suggestions & Feedback to the Hardware Support section of the forum because it appears you have questions and would like help on specific issues.

Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware.
Hey sorry for the categories.

So heres the info the command gave:

Code: Select all

System:
  Kernel: 5.4.0-91-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 5.0.7 wm: muffin 5.0.2 dm: LightDM 1.30.0 
  Distro: Linux Mint 20.2 Uma base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: PRIME X570-P v: Rev X.0x 
  serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 4021 date: 08/09/2021 
CPU:
  Topology: 6-Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Zen 3 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm 
  bogomips: 88798 
  Speed: 2199 MHz min/max: 2200/3700 MHz boost: enabled Core speeds (MHz): 
  1: 2199 2: 2199 3: 2163 4: 2199 5: 2199 6: 2195 7: 2194 8: 2199 9: 2195 
  10: 2197 11: 2198 12: 2195 
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD vendor: ASUSTeK driver: N/A bus ID: 0a:00.0 
  chip ID: 1002:73df 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: ati,fbdev 
  unloaded: modesetting,radeon,vesa resolution: 2560x1440~93Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 12.0.0 256 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 21.0.3 
  compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: AMD driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 0a:00.1 
  chip ID: 1002:ab28 
  Device-2: AMD Starship/Matisse HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 0c:00.4 chip ID: 1022:1487 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-91-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: ASUSTeK driver: r8169 v: kernel port: f000 bus ID: 04:00.0 
  chip ID: 10ec:8168 
  IF: enp4s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 953.87 GiB used: 9.29 GiB (1.0%) 
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Intel model: SSDPEKNW010T9 size: 953.87 GiB 
  speed: 31.6 Gb/s lanes: 4 serial: <filter> rev: 001C scheme: GPT 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 937.40 GiB used: 9.28 GiB (1.0%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 0.0 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Repos:
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
  1: deb http://packages.linuxmint.com uma main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
  2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
  3: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
  4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
  5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
  6: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
Info:
  Processes: 274 Uptime: 11m Memory: 15.61 GiB used: 1.72 GiB (11.0%) 
  Init: systemd v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 alt: 9 Shell: bash 
  v: 5.0.17 running in: gnome-terminal inxi: 3.0.38
One thing that also came up while i was trying to figure out is that for some reason kernel 5.11 wont work on my pc. I upgraded the kernel and after i rebooted the pc would hang when trying to load mint. Im not sure what could be causing this but i have tried some things. I disabled safeboot, disabled fastboot, enabled csm and made sure the iso is intact with the sha256 hash on all intallations. Nothing works it just hangs and displays the bios logo.

I have a asus x570-p with a r5 5600x.
Gpu is rx 6700 xt
Ram configuration is dual channel 8x2gb corsair vengeance 3200mhz.
Teddy2001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Teddy2001 »

Aztaroth wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:01 am
Teddy2001 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:19 pm I also ran into a "problem" with my mouse settings. The custom sensitivity does nothing but instead the mouse acceleration controls the sensitivity. Mouse acceleration is not turned on when switching to custom sens so there is some sort of issue there.
Maybe you already did all that, but just to be sure there's been no miss :
Adjusting Mouse Speed :
- LM/Preferences/Mouse and Touchpad
- under the pointer size bar, check custom acceleration (or speed)
- the acceleration bar appears
- set it according to needs (try without closing until it fits)

Same thing for Sensitivity just below, tick the box and ajust

About AMD GPU, SMG is a far better bet than me. So I'll shut up on that part.
Yeah changing the acceleration adjusts the sensitivity but the custom sensitivity does nothing. Not a big deal but kinda weird. I didnt even realise that the acceleration changes it until i tried it out. The acceleration increases your mouse speed the faster you move it right? Does it mean just the sensitivity in linux? Then again what is the custom sensitivity supposed to do :?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Teddy2001 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:27 am One thing that also came up while i was trying to figure out is that for some reason kernel 5.11 wont work on my pc. I upgraded the kernel and after i rebooted the pc would hang when trying to load mint. Im not sure what could be causing this but i have tried some things. I disabled safeboot, disabled fastboot, enabled csm and made sure the iso is intact with the sha256 hash on all intallations. Nothing works it just hangs and displays the bios logo.
Usually, the BIOS logo comes up before the operating system is called, so I'm not sure what is happening, but your computer is new enough I recommend using at least the 5.13 kernel.

Investigations with others using the RX 6700 XT have indicated additional firmware is also needed for this GPU to work properly. Currently, there is no graphics driver installed and the system is using software rendering.

Graphics:

To upgrade the kernel to 5.13:
  • Open Update Manager.
  • Select View > Linux Kernels and click Continue.
  • Make sure 5.13 is selected on the left panel and then click the top-most option on the right panel. An "Install" button will appear.
  • Install the kernel and then reboot for it to become active, but since you will also need firmware, you can wait to reboot until after you install it.
To install the firmware:
  • Please go to index : kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git and download the latest firmware package linux-firmware-20211027.tar.gz into your Downloads directory.
  • Right-click the downloaded file and select "Extract here". That will create a directory named linux-firmware-20211027.
  • Open that directory in your file manager. In that directory, open a terminal and run the following lines one at a time.

sudo cp -R * /lib/firmware/
    sudo update-initramfs -u -k all
  • Reboot the computer.
Let us know if doing those two tasks corrects the graphics issues.
Teddy2001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Teddy2001 »

SMG wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:18 am
Teddy2001 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:27 am One thing that also came up while i was trying to figure out is that for some reason kernel 5.11 wont work on my pc. I upgraded the kernel and after i rebooted the pc would hang when trying to load mint. Im not sure what could be causing this but i have tried some things. I disabled safeboot, disabled fastboot, enabled csm and made sure the iso is intact with the sha256 hash on all intallations. Nothing works it just hangs and displays the bios logo.
Usually, the BIOS logo comes up before the operating system is called, so I'm not sure what is happening, but your computer is new enough I recommend using at least the 5.13 kernel.

Investigations with others using the RX 6700 XT have indicated additional firmware is also needed for this GPU to work properly. Currently, there is no graphics driver installed and the system is using software rendering.

Graphics:

• Open Update Manager.
  • Make sure 5.13 is selected on the left panel and then click the top-most option on the right panel. An "Install" button will appear.
  • Install the kernel and then reboot for it to become active, but since you will also need firmware, you can wait to reboot until after you install it.
To install the firmware:
  • Please go to index : kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git and download the latest firmware package linux-firmware-20211027.tar.gz into your Downloads directory.
  • Right-click the downloaded file and select "Extract here". That will create a directory named linux-firmware-20211027.
  • Open that directory in your file manager. In that directory, open a terminal and run the following lines one at a time.

• Reboot the computer.
So unfortunately kernel 5.13 does the same thing as 5.11.

1: Computer starts to boot.
2: it displays the prompt to go to UEFI bios settings.
3 after that it displays the Asus logo forever without the prompt so I'm assuming it's trying to boot. It does this too on 5.4 but it goes away after a few seconds and boots.

I'm not sure what to do. I disabled tpm and went for all stock bios settings no oc or anything still doesn't work. Again the Mobo is a Asus x570-p with the latest bios (4021).

It also does the same thing for other distros. I tried to install zorin os 16 and it didn't work. It has 5.11 as the default kernel.
Teddy2001
Level 1
Level 1

Re: amd rx 6700 xt issue.

Post by Teddy2001 »

Ok so enabling the CSM module has resolved the issue??? I'm am not sure what is happening :lol: I'm gonna finish the rest or the instructions now.
Teddy2001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Teddy2001 »

SMG wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:18 am

Graphics:

• Open Update Manager.
To install the firmware:

• Reboot the computer.
So it now works as expected! A thousand thanks to you! I have no idea what is going on with the booting but its working now so its fine. For some reason it csm did not fix the issue for the 5.11 kernel but it works for 5.13? Idk im lost but it works now so im happy. Thank you again SMG for helping!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Teddy2001 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:11 pmSo it now works as expected! A thousand thanks to you! I have no idea what is going on with the booting but its working now so its fine. For some reason it csm did not fix the issue for the 5.11 kernel but it works for 5.13? Idk im lost but it works now so im happy. Thank you again SMG for helping!
You are welcome. :)
Teddy2001 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:50 pmIt also does the same thing for other distros. I tried to install zorin os 16 and it didn't work. It has 5.11 as the default kernel.
For future reference, when the issue happens with multiple distros that is usually a sign a BIOS/UEFI setting is probably the issue.
Teddy2001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Teddy2001 »

SMG wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:15 pm
Teddy2001 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:11 pmSo it now works as expected! A thousand thanks to you! I have no idea what is going on with the booting but its working now so its fine. For some reason it csm did not fix the issue for the 5.11 kernel but it works for 5.13? Idk im lost but it works now so im happy. Thank you again SMG for helping!
You are welcome. :)
Teddy2001 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:50 pmIt also does the same thing for other distros. I tried to install zorin os 16 and it didn't work. It has 5.11 as the default kernel.
For future reference, when the issue happens with multiple distros that is usually a sign a BIOS/UEFI setting is probably the issue.
Yeah for some reason the 5.11 kernel is not supported but 5.13 works.

Return to “Hardware Support”