A New, Old Desktop with Two HDD mounts.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

A New, Old Desktop with Two HDD mounts.

Post by Alvin »

A few days ago, I took delivery of an old, HP Compaq 8300 desktop to replace an old, Dell desktop that failed. Both models are SFFs, but the HP can be equipped with two HDDs. I believe one would be in the system's Part A, the other in Part B. Each Part can have 8GB of RAM. I now have only one HDD mounted, but I am thinking of mounting another as soon as I obtain the mounting screws needed (insulating the HDD from the case.)

Question 1: When I have both HDDs mounted and I boot the system, will it open the BIOS to allow me to select which HDD to boot from? How would the system know which is the primary HDD?

Question 2: Because my "new" desktop is about 8 years old, would I be better advised to mount only one HDD so as not to put too much load on the psu? The only reason I might have to mount two HDDs would be to make backup clones from time to time. With my now defunct desktop, I made the clones on my second HDD as an external drive through a USB port, a bit more complicated.

A brand new desktop would have cost me at least $499. My new, oldie has cost me $128. I may have paid too much, but I was without access to the world and needed a quick replacement. I think the old HP is better designed than was my now dead Dell. It has a more accessible interior, and, in about the same size case, it has room for two HDDs. The case itself opens by means of a lift-handle rather than a difficult, slide-to-open plate, and the the mountings for the ODD and HDDs are hinged for easy access.

Your comments would be of interest.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: A New, Old Desktop with Two HDD mounts.

Post by RollyShed »

Alvin wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:54 pm A few days ago, I took delivery of an old, HP Compaq 8300 desktop to replace an old, Dell desktop that failed.
I am using right now an 800G which is very similar and also maintain about 8 of them.
I now have only one HDD mounted, but I am thinking of mounting another as soon as I obtain the mounting screws needed (insulating the HDD from the case.)
Insulating the case? Why? I simply "throw them in" if testing or installing a system (Mint), a screw or so (usually all 4 screws) if a disk is likely to stay in.
Question 1: When I have both HDDs mounted and I boot the system, will it open the BIOS to allow me to select which HDD to boot from? How would the system know which is the primary HDD?
I might be wrong but I presume the one using the 0 SATA cable rather than 1, 2 or 3 will be the boot disk.
Question 2: Because my "new" desktop is about 8 years old, would I be better advised to mount only one HDD so as not to put too much load on the psu?
The 8300 and 800G both have 320 watt power supplies. I've run two HDs in some systems. Usually I have a 240GB SSD for my main disk and a 1TB for main storage.
The only reason I might have to mount two HDDs would be to make backup clones from time to time. With my now defunct desktop, I made the clones on my second HDD as an external drive through a USB port, a bit more complicated.
I'd be simply taking the cover off and plugging the backup disk in (dangling out of the case half on the carpet/floor) while making the clone. A common way I do system installs on spare disks.
A brand new desktop would have cost me at least $499. My new, oldie has cost me $128. I may have paid too much,
Yes, mine are free.
I think the old HP is better designed than was my now dead Dell. It has a more accessible interior, and, in about the same size case, it has room for two HDDs. The case itself opens by means of a lift-handle rather than a difficult, slide-to-open plate, and the the mountings for the ODD and HDDs are hinged for easy access.
Yes the HP is quicker and easier to access which means easier for fiddling around with.
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Alvin »

RollyShed: The insulating mounting screws provide small rollers by which the HDD rides along the edge of the case. I think they work as spacers rather than insulators. The mounting screws go into the plastic frame of the HDD.

I envy you your free hardware. Are you in the repair or sales business and receive the old ones as discards? Where I live, nothing is free!

I do my fiddling elsewhere, but whatever serves the fiddler is good!
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Alvin wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:20 pm RollyShed: The insulating mounting screws provide small rollers by which the HDD rides along the edge of the case. I think they work as spacers rather than insulators. The mounting screws go into the plastic frame of the HDD.
Mounting yes, with bits of blue plastic washer on the screws. Anything should do temporarily until you get the right screws.
I envy you your free hardware. Are you in the repair or sales business and receive the old ones as discards?
Note my user name. The Rolleston Men's Shed gets donated computers and as I maintain them (I'm the electronics go-to) and to get some out of the way, there are three here at present, this one, my partner's one and an older one being used for installations. Yes, it does have its cover on today.
https://rollestonshed.wordpress.com/
There is a computer section on the site.
So far over 20 Mint installations on laptops including fitting SSDs to make older laptops really fast and usable.
I do my fiddling elsewhere, but whatever serves the fiddler is good!
My partner does the fiddling (or is learning it) as well as instrumental ukulele and previously classical guitar.
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Alvin »

RollyShed: I enjoy practising the soprano and the alto recorders. Sarah Jefferey is my assumed mentor. Best holiday wishes to you and for the advancement of your work!
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Alvin wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:11 pm RollyShed: I enjoy practising the soprano and the alto recorders. Sarah Jefferey is my assumed mentor. Best holiday wishes to you and for the advancement of your work!
I was given a recorder when I was about 10 and taught myself. Moved on to guitar and folk music and we had a folk group. My instruments were guitar and tin whistle. My brother eventually went to Australia and took the banjo and his guitar. Eventually I moved on to the ukulele, not really serious as I only have two. At the musical evening last night, a trio performing, one of the women mentioned a song by Dylan she'd changed the words to, to make it more Irish, as that's where she came from. The song is actually a Scottish one dating back to at least 1605, quite a bit before Dylan mangled it.

Holidays? Which holiday? Being retired for a long time they don't get noticed much and there aren't any until Xmas.
Keith2021
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Keith2021 »

Just wondering, you said you have a "Dead Dell" what do you mean by dead? Can it be fixed?
For backup I just use a drive connected to the USB port. But I have two 3.5" hard drives in the case and if I want I just unplug one and plug in the other one. I had all three hooked up and I just picked the one I wanted from the list on the screen but it might not work like that on yours. Let us know how you do it. :D
I also play ukulele. Lots of fun.
Linux mint 20.2-Mate, Linux Mint 21-Cinnamon, Zorin 16 Pro
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Keith2021 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:56 pmJust wondering, you said you have a "Dead Dell" what do you mean by dead? Can it be fixed?
Commonly it will be the power supply and if so it most likely will be faulty capacitors, obvious by their bulged tops.
I also play ukulele. Lots of fun.
My partner is with a small instrumental ukulele group, Irish jigs and reels, classical music, blues. We have a friend, "If you know how many ukuleles you have you don't have enough."
"How many Paul?"
"Oh, about 85."
Obviously not enough but he does import, adjust and sell.

Return to “Hardware Support”