Recommendation for SFF Machine for Streaming

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Recommendation for SFF Machine for Streaming

Post by Kendoori »

I have a 40" LCD mounted on the wall in my office and am currently driving it with a repurposed Celeron 3865U-based Chromebox via HDMI. It works OK, but performance can be wonky sometimes (audio stuttering sometimes, especially with Bluetooth). I use it for Zoom classes, to watch XFinity cable streaming, and general streaming (e.g. Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc...). The Chromebox is a good size and I have it velcroed to the back of the TV. It only has a 32 GB SSD and is totally sufficient storage wise.

I don't want to spend a lot of money. What's a good machine to target for this purpose, assuming I would run Mint Cinnamon.

P.S. I'm totally fine with castoffs and used. And obviously don't need anything with an OS on it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Recommendation for SFF Machine for Streaming

Post by AndyMH »

Lenovo have a good reputation for linux compatibility and their mini thinkcentres sound a fit to your requirements, one example:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274977180583 ... BMyt_MqrFf
Note - they come with a variety of different specs and model numbers so research required. Also note I don't have one, thinkpad user.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kendoori »

@AndyMH I too am a long-standing Thinkpad guy (my current daily driver is a T480, but I used to be an X series guy with the various docks, going back to the X41. In the early 00s I worked for a multinational who assigned me one of the models with the butterfly keyboard.. and I agree this would be a good candidate).

Being a cheapskate, it got me thinking about possibly repurposing my X1 Carbon second-generation (cast off by my mother, whose IT guys told her that since it has Windows 8 on it, she needed a new machine). I keep this guy in my closet as a Windows machine in case I need one (which I sometimes do). I haven't completely gone down the rabbit hole, but there are VESA mounts for things like cable boxes, so I think I could keep the lid closed and the display off and mount the TV mount.

I already have a mini wireless keyboard, but am going to have to figure out how to turn this thing on/off, unless I use the Lenovo breakout box (which I obviously can mount), and of course, there's the possibility that I can do Wake-on-LAN, but not sure I will be able to do that with either an external USB ethernet (one needs a dongle for this model unless you use the breakout box), or Wake on WiFi (I think there is such a thing). I suspect this will be a project over the next few weeks.
Last edited by Kendoori on Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

My 'daily driver' is a T430 (actually I have four of them), it spends its life sat in a dock with the lid shut, driven by a wireless keyboard & mouse, and driving an external monitor. Wireless peripherals maybe an option? Don't know if there are docks for the X1 carbon, but docks for the T430 are dirt cheap on ebay.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kendoori »

@AndyMH, the breakout box is actually a dock (https://support.lenovo.com/id/en/soluti ... vice-parts). It will definitely work, just another thing to mount :-(
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I've just learnt something :D

Return to “Hardware Support”