Touchscreen orientation after fixing screen orientation is wrong

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NeverGiveUpp
Level 1
Level 1

Touchscreen orientation after fixing screen orientation is wrong

Post by NeverGiveUpp »

Hi folks, I've just installed Cinnamon 20.2 on an Acer Switch One 10 (https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspi ... 888.0.html).

I've got to fix the screen orientation to counterclockwise during installation but the touchpoints were totally off after that.

It's probably due to the touchscreen orientation because it's not rotated counterclockwise like the screen.

I've tried searching on the internet, tried a few stuff but it didn't fix the problem.

I'm not that young anymore but it'll be great to have you guys teach an old fart a tick or two to fix the problem.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
NeverGiveUpp
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Touchscreen orientation after fixing screen orientation is wrong

Post by NeverGiveUpp »

Hi folks, it's clockwise, not counterclockwise.

Thank you.
NeverGiveUpp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NeverGiveUpp »

Not sure if this is useful

⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ ITE Tech. Inc. ITE Device(8910) Consumer Control id=10 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Goodix Capacitive TouchScreen id=15 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ ITE Tech. Inc. ITE Device(8910) Mouse id=13 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ ITE Tech. Inc. ITE Device(8910) Touchpad id=14 [slave pointer (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Video Bus id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ ITE Tech. Inc. ITE Device(8910) Keyboard id=9 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ ITE Tech. Inc. ITE Device(8910) Wireless Radio Control id=11 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ ITE Tech. Inc. ITE Device(8910) System Control id=12 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ ITE Tech. Inc. ITE Device(8910) Consumer Control id=16 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Goodix Capacitive TouchScreen id=17 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ gpio-keys id=18 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ gpio-keys id=19 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ bytcr-rt5651 Headset id=20 [slave keyboard (3)]
NeverGiveUpp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NeverGiveUpp »

Hi folks, is there a way to make this stick? I tried putting it in 40-libinput.conf and it messes up mint altogether.

xinput set-prop 'pointer:Goodix Capacitive TouchScreen' 'Coordinate Transformation Matrix' 0 1 0 -1 0 1 0 0 1

Thank you.
NeverGiveUpp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NeverGiveUpp »

Think I may have fixed it temporarily by running xinput as a script at startup.

I'm still interested in knowing why this happens and is there a config or setup file that I can edit without running a script at startup.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

NeverGiveUpp wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:17 am Hi folks, I've just installed Cinnamon 20.2 on an Acer Switch One 10 (https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspi ... 888.0.html).

I've got to fix the screen orientation to counterclockwise during installation but the touchpoints were totally off after that.

It's probably due to the touchscreen orientation because it's not rotated counterclockwise like the screen.
Welcome to the forum, NeverGiveUpp.

What exactly did you do to "fix" the screen orientation during installation?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
NeverGiveUpp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NeverGiveUpp »

Oh, I ran a script with this

xinput set-prop 'pointer:Goodix Capacitive TouchScreen' 'Coordinate Transformation Matrix' 0 1 0 -1 0 1 0 0 1

on startup.

It still doesn't solve the problem of correct orientation if I were to use my screen as a tablet.

Right now, I can use it like a regular touchscreen laptop with the keyboard docked.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Have you checked in BIOS/UEFI to see if there are any settings related to tablet mode or turning on/off the accelerometer?

In the Display app on the Settings tab there is an option to Disable automatic screen rotation. If that is not turned on, is your screen rotating (ie. does it seem like the accelerometer is sending a signal to the operating system)?

As far as the script you are running, I believe you can add the line to the end of ~/.profile which is a hidden file in your home directory. That way it will run automatically after you log in.
NeverGiveUpp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NeverGiveUpp »

• Have you checked in BIOS/UEFI to see if there are any settings related to tablet mode or turning on/off the accelerometer?
Yup I've checked, no settings for tablet mode and accelerometer in BIOS.
  • In the Display app on the Settings tab there is an option to Disable automatic screen rotation. If that is not turned on, is your screen rotating (ie. does it seem like the accelerometer is sending a signal to the operating system)?
I actually want automatic screen rotation but it's the wrong orientation to start with; when I turn the tablet in portrait, the screen rotates to landscape clockwise and when I turn tablet to landscape, it'll rotate to portrait counterclockwise.
  • As far as the script you are running, I believe you can add the line to the end of ~/.profile which is a hidden file in your home directory. That way it will run automatically after you log in.
Let me check the home directory to see if I can figure that out :wink:
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

NeverGiveUpp wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:42 am
  • In the Display app on the Settings tab there is an option to Disable automatic screen rotation. If that is not turned on, is your screen rotating (ie. does it seem like the accelerometer is sending a signal to the operating system)?
I actually want automatic screen rotation but it's the wrong orientation to start with; when I turn the tablet in portrait, the screen rotates to landscape clockwise and when I turn tablet to landscape, it'll rotate to portrait counterclockwise.
I asked the question to make sure the accelerometer was, in fact, working. Someone on a different topic thought theirs was not working, but it turned out the screen had to be moved to almost a flat position before it turned.

Others have run into issues with the screen not aligning properly and I've seen several ways to fix that (but some fixes are specific to a certain laptop model and I'm not sure it would work for others).

Then the issue of the touch not being properly coordinated with the screen is a separate issue which may or may not be connected to the rotation issue. There are different technologies for touch and not all use the same principles which makes addressing the issue a bit more of a challenge.
NeverGiveUpp wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:20 am Hi folks, is there a way to make this stick? I tried putting it in 40-libinput.conf and it messes up mint altogether.
As a general rule, you would not want to modify a system file (such as the one you mentioned), but would create a new file with your customization such as perhaps a 50-libinput.conf in the user customization directory. It really depends on the specifics of your hardware which would be best. If it is just the one line, then probably just putting it in your .profile file may be all that is needed. If the fix gets more complicated then you would likely want it in a separate file that the system would read.
NeverGiveUpp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NeverGiveUpp »

Hmm, I think I'll need more time to figure out how the hardware works with Linux. Not exactly an engineer but I think it's just some rotation issues because the touch points work fine once xinput set-prop is in place.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

NeverGiveUpp wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:08 am Hmm, I think I'll need more time to figure out how the hardware works with Linux. Not exactly an engineer but I think it's just some rotation issues because the touch points work fine once xinput set-prop is in place.
You indicated in your first post that the touch points were off after rotating. :?

If the one line command fixes the issue, just add it to .profile.

The issue is that not all hardware works the same way. That means sometimes the defaults in Linux-based distros work and sometimes they do not.
NeverGiveUpp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NeverGiveUpp »

The touchpoints work after I manually rotated using xinput set-prop.

However, I can only use the tablet docked with the keyboard as a laptop now since it's manually rotated. I'll need to work towards auto rotating it correctly so that I can use the tablet both undocked and docked, like in the case of MS Windows.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

NeverGiveUpp wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:05 am The touchpoints work after I manually rotated using xinput set-prop.
That sounds to me like you have fixed the original problem in the title of this topic. It is a manual fix, but it is still a fix. Is that correct?
NeverGiveUpp wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:05 amHowever, I can only use the tablet docked with the keyboard as a laptop now since it's manually rotated. I'll need to work towards auto rotating it correctly so that I can use the tablet both undocked and docked, like in the case of MS Windows.
From this, I understand you to say the fix you have for your original problem (in the title of the topic) is not an acceptable fix for your because when you disconnect the tablet from the keyboard then the screen orientation is not correct in tablet portrait orientation.

When I made the comment earlier about seeing others use several ways of fixing the orientation, I did not mean they found a way to have the orientation automatically change. They found a manual fix solution for their issue.

I just want you to be aware that in your attempts to find a fix for an "automatic" rotation you may be looking for something which does not exist. You may need to run another script to get your screen orientation aligned properly when it is in tablet portrait mode. Or you may find something that works. My searches did not find info about your specific model, but it is possible it's there and I missed it, or a solution that worked for a different model will work for yours.
NeverGiveUpp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NeverGiveUpp »

Yeah, don't think a perfect solution exist now but it'll be great if the community knows about this and work towards that is closer to Windows for a tablet laptop.

As for now, I'm using the tablet docked with the keyboard with both screen and touchscreen rotated clockwise.

Return to “Hardware Support”