Controller Inputs

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kallisto11
Level 1
Level 1

Controller Inputs

Post by Kallisto11 »

Hy, I don't think that my problem is hardware related but it didn't quite fit elsewhere.

I'm playing a linux nativ spacesim of Steam with my XBox360 USB Controller. Everything worked well OOTB until yesterday night but today it seems like the software suddenly won't pick up the inputs anymore while ingame. However, in the controller config menue of the Steam app the device is listed and working fine, as well as in the input device menue, that the game brings up before actually starting, where i see the meters jump when pressing sticks and buttons but as soon as the game starts and goes fullscreen there is no reaction from my inputs on the controller.
There where no updates or what so ever. Just turned of the PC yesterday night and today this happend. I also tried a wired PS3 controller with the same results.
I know this migth not be an OS issue but hopefully someone could point me in the right direction where i should start investigating.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Controller Inputs

Post by SMG »

Kallisto11 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:15 amHy, I don't think that my problem is hardware related but it didn't quite fit elsewhere.
Welcome to the forum, Kallisto11.

I have moved your topic to the Gaming section of the forum. Maybe someone else has run across this issue and will be able to help you.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Bruwd Weard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bruwd Weard »

Hi.
One thing I would recommend is checking inside steam to make sure it's picking up the controller properly.

I'm a little weird and prefer the logitec (I prefer the triggers over xbox of ps controllers), but my logi is working fine. There is also AntimicroX. you dont have to map with it, but it's an easier way the terminal to check if your controller is being picked up to eliminate steam as an issue.
Kallisto11
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kallisto11 »

Bruwd Weard wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:40 am Hi.
One thing I would recommend is checking inside steam to make sure it's picking up the controller properly.
Kallisto11 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:15 am However, in the controller config menue of the Steam app the device is listed and working fine, as well as in the input device menue, that the game brings up before actually starting, where i see the meters jump when pressing sticks and buttons but as soon as the game starts and goes fullscreen there is no reaction from my inputs on the controller.
In the meantime I have:
-) learned from dmesg -w that the controller is recognized correctly
-) learned from jstest that the input values arrive the system correctly
-) found out through the Steam Controller Settings app that the controller is working properly there
-) found out through the settings menu of the game (a separate app that is called up before the game is actually started) that the values from the controller also arrive there, as I see the meters jump when moving the sticks and pressing buttons, which now makes it clear that exclusively the actual game software doesn't pick up the inputs anymore from one day to the other
-) deleted all configuration files of the game and Steam, hoping that something was wrongly saved there
-) tried to start the game with proton resulting in a blackscreen
-) uninstalled first the game then Steam completely and then reinstalled
-) deleted the entire OS and installed Mint 20.3 (I had planned for a long time anyway)
And it still doesn't work. There also were no updates or the like. It just doesn't work from one day to the next.
Frustrating...

Installed Win10 where everything works just fine. Ditched MS entirely 3 years ago... now I puke everytime I have to boot Win to play that game I paid for, that has a linux native version that worked wonderfully for 4 days

Return to “Gaming”