[SOLVED] Dualsense Controller (PS5) not recognized as USB device (Kernel 5.13)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Joe Black
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Dualsense Controller (PS5) not recognized as USB device (Kernel 5.13)

Post by Joe Black »

I am trying to use the PS5 controller, known as Dualsense on Linux Mint.
I have installed and activated Kernel 5.13 since starting version 5.12 the Kernel is said to have the open source drivers for the dualsense controller (made by Sony) built in. I've read that other people have been using it to at least some functionality on Mint.

However, it does not work in any capacity on my machine, it is not even recognized as a USB device (when running lsusb command in terminal)
PS3 & PS4 Controllers are properly recognized and work. The Dualsense controller works on my Fedora machine (only tested on Kernel 5.14 and beyond, however. But as mentioned, it should work, even on Mint). Cable, controller and USB Ports on the Mint machine all appear to work when tested under different circumstances.

Any advice what could be the issue? Something else I should test out?

Machine in question:
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon (it did not work under 20.2 either)
Cinnamon: 5.2.7 (with Muffin)
Kernel: 5.13.0-27-generic
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard: AsRock B450 Pro4
If any more info might be helpful, please tell me. Will update accordingly.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Dualsense Controller (PS5) not recognized as USB device (Kernel 5.13)

Post by SMG »

Joe Black wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:40 amThe Dualsense controller works on my Fedora machine (only tested on Kernel 5.14 and beyond, however.
I do not have ideas of what to test, but there is a 5.14-oem kernel available for use with Mint if you want to try it.

Install the latest 5.14-oem kernel with sudo apt install linux-oem-20.04d and reboot.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Joe Black
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Joe Black »

SMG wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:47 pm Install the latest 5.14-oem kernel with sudo apt install linux-oem-20.04d and reboot.
Still not working, not even showing up as USB device (just like before). :(

Thank you though!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

See if it shows up when you run dmesg -T | grep -i "hid". I found this [00/13] HID: new driver for PS5 'DualSense' controller which mentions that identifier.
Joe Black
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Joe Black »

SMG wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:57 pm See if it shows up when you run dmesg -T | grep -i "hid". I found this [00/13] HID: new driver for PS5 'DualSense' controller which mentions that identifier.
It does not, unfortunately. I should mention it seems to not be even receiving power from the PC (since not recognized).

(PS3 Controller and other USB devices do show up)
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Joe Black wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:40 am The Dualsense controller works on my Fedora machine (only tested on Kernel 5.14 and beyond, however.
Is the Fedora machine just a different drive on the same computer as Linux Mint 20.3 or is it a different computer?

If it is different, maybe knowing the differences might give some clues as to what is happening (or not happening as the case seems to be).
Joe Black wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:38 pmI should mention it seems to not be even receiving power from the PC (since not recognized).
Does it have the latest updates? I did a search on "Dualsense Control PS5 not receiving power" and this link came up PS5 controller not charging, what to do?. It mentions issues related to be directly connected to the Playstation, but the issue about ports and cables made me wonder if something like that might be why it's not showing up as attached to your computer.

Here's another link that came up How To Fix PS5 Controller Won’t Charge | Not Charging | NEW!.

If your Fedora and Mint installs are on the same hardware, then I presume that would rule out anything in either of those links.
Joe Black
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Joe Black »

SMG wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:00 pm
Joe Black wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:40 am The Dualsense controller works on my Fedora machine (only tested on Kernel 5.14 and beyond, however.
Is the Fedora machine just a different drive on the same computer as Linux Mint 20.3 or is it a different computer?

If it is different, maybe knowing the differences might give some clues as to what is happening (or not happening as the case seems to be).
They are not on the same machine.
The difference would be that the Fedora machine it works on is a 11 year old laptop (4 core Intel CPU, DDR3 4GB, that kinda thing), the Mint machine a Desktop assembled last year. (The components nothing THAT new, however. Also listed in the initial post of this topic)

I will put in a mint drive in the fedora machine later and do the kernel change there too. If it works on that machine then, it would be certain something about my Mint machine in question (or the install) is wrong and its not related to Mint itself. Highly doubt that will be the case though, but I should certainly try.
SMG wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:00 pm
Joe Black wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:38 pmI should mention it seems to not be even receiving power from the PC (since not recognized).
Does it have the latest updates? I did a search on "Dualsense Control PS5 not receiving power" and this link came up PS5 controller not charging, what to do?. It mentions issues related to be directly connected to the Playstation, but the issue about ports and cables made me wonder if something like that might be why it's not showing up as attached to your computer.

Here's another link that came up How To Fix PS5 Controller Won’t Charge | Not Charging | NEW!.

If your Fedora and Mint installs are on the same hardware, then I presume that would rule out anything in either of those links.
The listed problems on those links would mean either the USB Port(s), the cable or the controller don't work in general, but I've made sure they all do several times. (e.g. Controller with the same cable works on Fedora machine, USB Ports work normal with any other USB device, also tried other cables and ports).

The other problems would be related to the PS5 (that I do not have).
If updating the controller itself is a thing, I'm afraid I can't try that. But I figure is must not be the root of trouble, since the same controller works flawlessly on the Fedora machine?

Again, thanks for the tips.
Joe Black
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Joe Black »

Oh. Oh no. I installed Mint (Kernel 5.13) again on the laptop that was running Fedora... and the controller is recognized

Which on one hand is very nice

But on the other hand raises all sorts of question about my desktop... Since other USB devices would work on the same ports...??
Joe Black
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Joe Black »

Okay, this might be due to the latest update to Kernel 5.13 Because I'm certain I tested it on Mint with 5.13 on this Laptop before

But the update to 5.13(.0-28) seems quite recent, so it wasnt on my Desktop yet. However, I can't switch to it because it doesn't do so automatically (since 5.14 is installed), and entering the grub menu via holding shift does not work.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Joe Black wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:58 pmHowever, I can't switch to it because it doesn't do so automatically (since 5.14 is installed), and entering the grub menu via holding shift does not work.
I think you might want to be using the Escape key?

If you do not normally see grub menu, do one of these options to bring it up while booting:
  • Hold (Repeatedly tap) the shift key during boot to enter grub for non-UEFI/Legacy boot computer
  • Repeatedly tap the escape key during boot to enter grub for an UEFI boot computer.
See this post for how to edit grub to get the menu to show if you are having problems getting either of those options to work.
Joe Black
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Joe Black »

SMG wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:37 pm
Joe Black wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:58 pmHowever, I can't switch to it because it doesn't do so automatically (since 5.14 is installed), and entering the grub menu via holding shift does not work.
I think you might want to be using the Escape key?

If you do not normally see grub menu, do one of these options to bring it up while booting:
  • Hold (Repeatedly tap) the shift key during boot to enter grub for non-UEFI/Legacy boot computer
  • Repeatedly tap the escape key during boot to enter grub for an UEFI boot computer.
See this post for how to edit grub to get the menu to show if you are having problems getting either of those options to work.
Escape key did the trick. I tried shift because thats all the Kernel Manager mentions (and the documentation I found only mentioned how edit grub, not how to enter it)

Unfortunately, it seems that my assumption about the Kernel was incorrect, because it still does not work on the Desktop.

OR SO I THOUGHT

Trying another USB Port (that I have definitely tried before, even though all ports seem to be working properly) apparently detects the controller.

And seems to work mostly properly. (Altough it made my PC oddly laggy for the first minute or so)

So I'm not sure what the issue was. The USB port it works over now didnt work before either so why does it now, but not the other ones

Can Front Panel USB slots be different to onboard (motherboard) ones that much?

So reason would be the combination of Kernel Update + weird USB Port?

I'm really confused

But for now it seems to be working

So: Thank you so much!!!!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Joe Black wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:14 pmCan Front Panel USB slots be different to onboard (motherboard) ones that much?
People have posted on this forum they have noticed a difference between front ports and back ports. Something which did not work on the front did work on the back (or maybe it was vice versa). I've seen that type of comment more than once, so I would say they can be different. Some motherboards have USB2.0 on one side and 3.0 on the other side. However, there is not always that difference which might explain why they act differently, but it has happened enough we always recommend trying a different port.
Joe Black wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:14 pmBut for now it seems to be working

So: Thank you so much!!!!
You're welcome. Glad to hear it is now working. Please go to your first post in this topic, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the title so others know you are no longer seeking help on this issue.
Joe Black
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Dualsense Controller (PS5) not recognized as USB device (Kernel 5.13)

Post by Joe Black »

EDIT: It does seem to charge now.

I have to mention: While the controller does work (with some odd behaviours on the machine), the controller does not seem to charge. So its recognized as USB device, it shows up in the Energy management... where it says its only 15%

Which leads me to assume, that having it plugged in without using it just uses up energy because then its turned on, but not charged. Something to keep in mind, I guess.

Return to “Hardware Support”