How is the AMD 5700G APU for Mint compatability?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Venus Flytrap
Level 2
Level 2

How is the AMD 5700G APU for Mint compatability?

Post by Venus Flytrap »

I'm thinking of building a new computer using an AMD 5700G APU. I've read some comments from folks on this forum that their experience with running it on Mint is a bit flaky. Lock-ups etc. Possible driver issues or maybe hardware related? If anyone has such a setup, I'd be interested in hearing your experiences. Plus motherboard and RAM combination. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
System: Mint Cinnamon 21.1. CPU: Intel E7600. RAM: 4GB. Video: ATI HD 4830. SSD: Kingston KC600 512GB (boot-drive) & Kingston A400, 480GB (backup). Display: ASUS VA24DQ 23.8"
dave1953
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How is the AMD 5700G APU for Mint compatability?

Post by dave1953 »

I have a 4300GE with Gigabyte B450m mainboard, 16gb 3200 ram with an 870evo nvme as boot, if that can be considered a relative comparison.

Installing Mint on the ssd via live disk resulted in good performance but lousy graphics, caused by the out of date kernel.

Updating the kernel to 5.10 oem yielded excellent performance and brilliant 1920 x 1080 graphics, correctly identified monitor and no reliability problems. Similarly any other later kernels offered in the Update Manager settings have given no problems.

So it would probably be worth loading up Mint and in order to avoid frustration and disappointment immediately updating the kernel?
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Re: How is the AMD 5700G APU for Mint compatability?

Post by Petermint »

Also check for a BIOS update. Some AMD motherboards needed a BIOS update for some processors. When you google the chip, also include Ubuntu as some problems show up there first.

If you do have kernel problems, it is relatively easy to select different kernels in the Update Manager. Some options may not boot. You can run a Timeshift snapshot before changing the kernel then recover from the snapshot using Timeshift. You might want to read about Timeshift.

Return to “Hardware Support”