Anyone running Linux Mint on a MSI GS76 17.3" laptop?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mib_7opnwb
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone running Linux Mint on a MSI GS76 17.3" laptop?

Post by mib_7opnwb »

Anyone running Linux Mint on an MSI GS76 17.3" laptop?
This includes: Intel Core i9 - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070.

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Anyone running Linux Mint on a MSI GS76 17.3" laptop?

Post by Hoser Rob »

If you're looking for info on Mint compatibility I've found for years that the best way is to search "ubuntu 20.04 <make/model>". Mint is Ubuntu based (unless you use LMDE, in which case substitute Debian for Ubuntu 20.04). They have a much, much bigger user base, and I've actually gotten 95% of my support info for Mint that was actually useful from ubuntu support sites.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
mib_7opnwb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mib_7opnwb »

Thank you but I did that before posting here.

I'm interested in a specific Linux Mint Cinnamon experience and haven't been able to find anything.

The only thing I've found so far with UBUNTU searches was:
"Installed Pop_OS! 20.04 (Nvidia based) without hassle."

Respectfully . . .
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
mib_7opnwb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mib_7opnwb »

Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it very much!

I'm surprised after many search attempts, I was never able to find this.
There is a lot of helpful information but is hopeful but it is NOT solved or working as it states way down the bottom of the post (regarding "Mint is not connecting with Ethernet cable to net"):

. . .
I think it's better you to start a new thread for the new problem. My arguments are:
1. The title of the topic does not correspond to the problem.
2. The topic is marked as solved, and most people don't read if they don't personally care and may not look at what it says other than me.
3. It's good for the whole community to have problems separated so that when someone searches for a similar problem to their own, they can find information more easily.
On that note, I'll take the liberty of giving you a few more tips:
1. Start a new topic with a title like "No Internet connection after new installation".

. . .

Therefore, I'll have to try and find the new thread that continues with the problem. I hope my search efforts are more successful this time.

FYI, I've bought the laptop but waiting for delivery and want to "get prepared or get ahead of any issues).

My initial thought was to try to do a full install of Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon when it is released (I believe in June 2022).

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

I appreciate any thoughts or help so much!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

mib_7opnwb wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:56 pmTherefore, I'll have to try and find the new thread that continues with the problem. I hope my search efforts are more successful this time.
I went to that user's name and looked at their posts. Here is the topic "No Internet connection after new installation". They indicated they used the LM20.3 Edge edition and had internet.

Here is the link for that ISO Linux Mint 20.3 "Una" - Cinnamon (Edge) ISO .
mib_7opnwb wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:56 pmMy initial thought was to try to do a full install of Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon when it is released (I believe in June 2022).[/url]
It's my understanding it will more likely be the July-August timeframe.

If you install LM20.3, there will be an upgrade tool available to upgrade to LM21.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

My initial thought was to try to do a full install of Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon when it is released (I believe in June 2022).
sounds very sensible; you could try briefly running the Edge version of 20.3 till it arrives; as SMG points out, it could be mid to late July before 21 appears; (a wet summer in Ireland might hasten its birth .... )
If you install LM20.3, there will be an upgrade tool available to upgrade to LM21.
if one is using a well-used version of 20.3, that could be a good solution;

however; if you were to only run Edge for a few weeks; an old school thought would be a fresh install of the new 21 might be best; it will then be valid for 5yrs;

...... no right answer .....
mib_7opnwb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mib_7opnwb »

Thank you for the comments, Folks.

It's greatly appreciated.

Return to “Hardware Support”