Flaky storage media?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Flaky storage media?

Post by RollyShed »

The laptop originally had Win10 on it entirely filling the storage of 30GB. Obviously a useless bit of junk except I have and use an ASUS TP200 laptop with the same 30GB storage and it is useful.

Probably of not much use but the laptop in this case is a TWG HO2006, 10/8/2017 vintage and now has Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 installed on it. It goes well and does what is needed, emails, tax, check his finances and it will run an external DVD player (checked out this afternoon) via the USB input. It is unlikely to have much put into the storage it has.

Twice, might have happened previously as well, on boot up it gets as far as - inirtamfs

It is fixed by typing -

fsck /dev/mmcblk1p2

A few "Yes" and away it goes on reboot. Shut it down, boot it up a few times and nothing wrong until next time, a week or so later.

I checked that the owner is switching it off "properly". Yes.
I tried by just holding the power switch down and that didn't upset anything.

This did not work -
fsck /dev/sda1 (also trying the 1 through to 5).
That had fixed a previous laptop installation (using 5) with a disk that rattled and has since been replaced.

So is it likely to be flaky storage media?

I did take the bottom off a day ago to see if there was anything loose but nothing obvious.

One other thing about this laptop, the OFF/ON button is in the top right of the keyboard. Yes keyboard, where you can easily hit it when hoping to hit the Backspace key. A stupid bit of design.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Flaky storage media?

Post by SMG »

RollyShed wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:11 amIt is fixed by typing -

fsck /dev/mmcblk1p2
As would be the case if the laptop has an eMMC storage device.
RollyShed wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:11 am This did not work -
fsck /dev/sda1 (also trying the 1 through to 5).
That had fixed a previous laptop installation (using 5) with a disk that rattled and has since been replaced.
That previous laptop apparently had an SSD or HD and not an eMMC for storage.
RollyShed wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:11 amSo is it likely to be flaky storage media?
I do not know the longevity of eMMC storage, but if the problem keeps re-occurring, then it would seem likely that is the issue.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Flaky storage media?

Post by RollyShed »

SMG wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:20 pm
RollyShed wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:11 amIt is fixed by typing -

fsck /dev/mmcblk1p2
As would be the case if the laptop has an eMMC storage device.
Thank you, that points exactly to what I thought could be the case.

This laptop can have a short M.2/NVMe type of card fitted. Whether it is worth doing is questionable, about $60 here. If done, the installation would have to only use that and not the soldered in eMMC.

Return to “Hardware Support”