Strange issue - Touchscreen and touchpad work on the AMD Pavillion, but not on the Intel Pavillion

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jeff1303
Level 1
Level 1

Strange issue - Touchscreen and touchpad work on the AMD Pavillion, but not on the Intel Pavillion

Post by Jeff1303 »

I have two HP pavilions one has AMD 5200 6GB ram the other is an INTEL core i7 7500U 12GB ran both have touch pad and touch screens. I installed Mint 20.3 edge from the same USB drive. Everything is normal and function as expected on the AMD machine. The problem machine is the INTEL when it starts up or wakes from suspend the touch pad click does notwork the touch screen does. The work around I have found is to go to mouse and touch pad using the touch screen and touch pad to navigate and disable the touch pad and enable then all works until next suspend or power up. An interesting thing the touch screen does not show in the list for either machine. Please find xinput output below:

Code: Select all

jeff@jeff-HP-linux-Laptop:~$ xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ eGalax Inc. eGalaxTouch EXC3104-1322-07.00.00	id=10	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad                	id=12	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ HP Wide Vision HD Camera: HP Wi         	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=11	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ HP WMI hotkeys                          	id=13	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ HP Wireless hotkeys                     	id=14	[slave  keyboard (3)]
jeff@jeff-HP-linux-Laptop:~$ 
Any ideas would be most welcome -- thanks in advance!
Jeff
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Strange issue - Touchscreen and touchpad work on the AMD Pavillion, but not on the Intel Pavillion

Post by Hoser Rob »

The problem one may be 'Intel' but that doesn't mean the touchscreen/touchpad is.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Strange issue - Touchscreen and touchpad work on the AMD Pavillion, but not on the Intel Pavillion

Post by shedyed »

An alternate driver maybe? To ignore the one that shipped with the box?

I would count it as a blessing, not a curse. But opinions don't count.

99% of laptops come with that wasted space, and half of the posts in forums ask how do I do this? or how do I do that? And half of those that give up attach a mouse. You just went from one ergonomic disaster to another, with a whole set of problems. End rant Computer, I said, End rant! :roll:
Jeff1303
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jeff1303 »

Thanks for the response!

Which driver would i change?
Jeff

jeff@jeff-HP-linux-Laptop:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:
  Kernel: 5.13.0-27-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 5.2.7 Distro: Linux Mint 20.3 Una 
  base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: HP product: HP Pavilion Laptop 15-cc0xx 
  v: Type1ProductConfigId serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: HP model: 8364 v: 46.21 serial: <filter> UEFI: Insyde v: F.10 
  date: 07/28/2017 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 20.8 Wh condition: 20.8/20.8 Wh (100%) 
  model: HP Primary status: Full 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i7-7500U bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Amber Lake rev: 9 L2 cache: 4096 KiB 
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 
  bogomips: 23199 
  Speed: 577 MHz min/max: 400/3500 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 600 2: 600 
  3: 698 4: 625 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 620 vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: i915 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: modesetting 
  unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1440x900~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.2.6 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.13.0-27-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 3000 bus ID: 03:00.0 
  IF: eno1 state: down mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Intel Wireless 7265 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: 3000 
  bus ID: 05:00.0 
  IF: wlo1 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 476.94 GiB used: 22.45 GiB (4.7%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Silicon Power model: SPCC Solid State Disk 
  size: 476.94 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 226.33 GiB used: 11.74 GiB (5.2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 36.0 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:
  Processes: 228 Uptime: 1h 35m Memory: 11.58 GiB used: 1.28 GiB (11.0%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.4.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17 
  inxi: 3.0.38 
jeff@jeff-HP-linux-Laptop:~$ 
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Jeff1303 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:45 pm I have two HP pavilions one has AMD 5200 6GB ram the other is an INTEL core i7 7500U 12GB ran both have touch pad and touch screens.
Welcome to the forum, Jeff.

While you have two laptops which have the same name, they do not have the same hardware so they would be treated as two different laptops from a troubleshooting perspective. Graphics drivers (as well as Wifi, mouse and others) can effect how a computer resumes from sleep.

The data you posted is showing the touchscreen.

↳ eGalax Inc. eGalaxTouch EXC3104-1322-07.00.00	id=10	[slave  pointer  (2)]
Whether or not the touchscreen is the same for the two models is not known by us at this point. I would not assume just because they are both HP Pavilions that they use the same touchscreen technology. (There are many different touchscreen technologies.)
Jeff1303 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:11 amWhich driver would i change?
One does not randomly change drivers. The bulk of the necessary drives are included in the kernel.

I did not understand what the below meant.
Jeff1303 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:45 pmThe problem machine is the INTEL when it starts up or wakes from suspend the touch pad click does notwork the touch screen does.
Because that sounds like the touchscreen works. Does it work and the problem is only with the touchpad?

There are different touchpad drivers available, but if disabling and then re-enabling the touchpad works, then it does not sound like there is a driver issue (with respect to the driver being the wrong driver).

Neither of the laptops is new enough that you needed to use the Edge ISO (which is for very new hardware). The Edge ISO also includes the 5.4 kernel, so that could be something you could try once we get a better idea of what exactly the problem is.

Please make sure you are running the most recent BIOS/UEFI for that computer. (I would not be surprised to find that it uses a different one than the AMD laptop does.)
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Jeff1303
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jeff1303 »

Thank you for the response I have attempted to clarify.

Sorry for the confusion about the below:
]I did not understand what the below meant.

Jeff1303 wrote: ↑
Fri May 27, 2022 2:45 pm
The problem machine is the INTEL when it starts up or wakes from suspend the touch pad click does notwork the touch screen does.

Because that sounds like the touchscreen works. Does it work and the problem is only with the touchpad?
The AMD machine -- does not have any issues after I installed MINT EDGE .
The reason I installed MINT EDGE (explained) -- the AMD laptop was exhibiting similar issues and I tried the install of MINT EDGE and the change fixed the issue.

The INTEL machine -- touch screen and touch pad both have issues at startup..... and as soon as I disable and enable the touch pad both work predictably.

Please make sure you are running the most recent BIOS/UEFI for that computer. (I would not be surprised to find that it uses a different one than the AMD laptop does.)
BIOS ( great catch! ) was in fact quite dated updated to the latest form HP - had no affect on the issue,
Neither of the laptops is new enough that you needed to use the Edge ISO (which is for very new hardware). The Edge ISO also includes the 5.4 kernel, so that could be something you could try once we get a better idea of what exactly the problem is.

I have tried both variants of MINT they exhibit the same issue.

Thanks Jeff
Last edited by SMG on Sat May 28, 2022 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote attribution so response is easier to see.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Jeff1303 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:12 pmThe AMD machine does not have any issues now that I have MINT EDGE installed.
The only difference between "regular" Mint and Mint Edge is Edge also has the 5.13 kernel. All one needs to do to make "regular" become "edge" is change the kernel. All the rest is the same.

Without knowing what hardware the AMD machine has, I really can not say what changing the kernel might have done.
Jeff1303 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:12 pmThe touch screen and touch pad both have issues at startup..... and as soon as I disable and enable the touch pad both works predictably.
Is the xinput output the same for the AMD laptop (ie. does it also have an Elan touchpad and the eGalax touchscreen)?

The LM20.3 Cinnamon Release Notes have instructions for changing the touchpad driver. Maybe the synaptics driver will be better about loading at start or after resuming from hibernation.

By the way, the kernel on your Intel needs updated. You currently have 5.13.0-27 installed and the latest is 5.13.0-44.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Hardware Support”