[ SOLVED ] Weird audio issue

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

[ SOLVED ] Weird audio issue

Post by JTemple »

Weird audio issue, every new kernel up-date I need to change my method of input. I go from usb headphones and directly into the computer, then at the next update sound stops working so I plug into my monitor, at the next update I need to switch back to the PC. This happens every time. It doesn't bother me too much, I just think it very odd that I need to keep changing back and forth.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Weird audio issue

Post by JTemple »

I'm a PC idiot! :lol: Where do I look for this file:
xed admin:///etc/pulse/default.pa
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

JTemple wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:27 am I'm a PC idiot! :lol: Where do I look for this file:
You don't, open a terminal and run

Code: Select all

It will open the file with admin privileges so you can edit and save it. Assumes you are running cinnamon.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

AndyMH wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:10 am
JTemple wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:27 am I'm a PC idiot! :lol: Where do I look for this file:
You don't, open a terminal and run

Code: Select all

It will open the file with admin privileges so you can edit and save it. Assumes you are running cinnamon.
Well that only opened a note pad file and I saw no options in terminal. I am running Cinnamon.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

After being prompted for your password (twice), you should have got this, this is the end of the file where the suggested change should be made:
Screenshot from 2022-06-29 16-29-58.png
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

Got it! I have made no changes as yet but now know how & where! Thank You both!

Return to “Hardware Support”