Power consumption management

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
satsriakal
Level 3
Level 3

Power consumption management

Post by satsriakal »

Hi,

on my laptop
ASUS UX533FTC
Dual boot: Windows 10 + Linux Mint 20.2 Xfce

I verified that with Linux Mint power consumption is considerably high. I tried to use tlp software but I wasn't able to configure it properly.
Could you give me some help please?

best regards
Beppe
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Power consumption management

Post by ThaCrip »

To my knowledge Linux power consumption is simply not as efficient as Windows. so your going to see noticeably less battery life because of it.

I would probably not bother trying to tweak anything as my guess is there won't be any worthwhile differences.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
diyliberty
Level 3
Level 3

Post by diyliberty »

I have found on my laptop that power consumption for regular desktop apps is lower with LM than when I had Windows installed. It is much higher when using anything that uses the dedicated graphics card, i.e. 3D games. When I use my laptop for taking notes, referencing documents and browsing the internet, my laptop battery would go the entire 8 hour session and still have a good 40%+ battery left. When I tried the same thing with Win10 prior to installing LM, I would have to plug it in after 5 hours in order to make it the rest of the night.

This is with lowering screen brightness to 50%, auto reduce brightness to 5% after 30 seconds and auto sleep after 15 minutes.

YMMV
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

tlp requires a certain amount of reading and experimentation since there is no one size fits all solution here. it is most definitely worth persevering as you will get some battery life gains. you have to decide for yourself just how much performance on battery you are willing to sacrifice though when configuring tlp as per the details on it's homepage:

https://linrunner.de/tlp/
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

I posted this in an other thread.
Take a look on this one. https://github.com/AdnanHodzic/auto-cpufreq I got the tip from Chris Titus Tech and it works fine om my laptops. 8)

Marie SWE wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:17 am Hi
I think this one is better than TLP. I use it on my old laptop, but as that battery is 8years old the time doesn't say much, but I get just under 4hour on a 8year old Asus battery

https://github.com/AdnanHodzic/auto-cpufreq

Quote from the Github page:
Why do I need auto-cpufreq?

One of the problems with Linux today on laptops is that CPU will run in unoptimized manner which will negatively reflect on battery life. For example, CPU will run using "performance" governor with turbo boost enabled regardless if it's plugged in to power or not.

Issue can be mitigated by using tools like indicator-cpufreq or cpufreq, but these still require manual action from your side which can be daunting and cumbersome.

Using tools like TLP can help in this situation with extending battery life (which is something I used to do for numerous years), but it also might come with its own set of problems, like losing turbo boost.

With that said, I needed a simple tool which would automatically make "cpufreq" related changes, save battery like TLP, but let Linux kernel do most of the heavy lifting. That's how auto-cpufreq was born.

Please note: auto-cpufreq aims to replace TLP in terms of functionality and after you install auto-cpufreq it's recommended to remove TLP. If both are used for same functionality, i.e: to set CPU frequencies it'll lead to unwanted results like overheating. Hence, only use both tools in tandem if you know what you're doing.

Tool/daemon that does not conflict with auto-cpufreq in any way and is even recommended to have running alongside is thermald.
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
satsriakal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by satsriakal »

Hi,
I have found on my laptop that power consumption for regular desktop apps is lower with LM than when I had Windows installed. It is much higher when using anything that uses the dedicated graphics card, i.e. 3D games.
I verified that Nvidia board was set on "performance mode". Now I set it "on demand". I'm monitoring it in order to verify if power consume has reduced.
I'll tell you about

I installed "auto-cpufreq" as well and I'm using it to monitor CPU performance.
Thanks a lot to everybody.
satsriakal
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED: Power consumption management

Post by satsriakal »

Hi,
I confirm what I said in my previous post.

changing Graphic board configuration settings to "on demand" power consumption has reduced a lot!
Now my laptop battery can last for more than 7 hours and of course laptop heating has reduced as well.
Best regards and thank you everybody
Beppe

Return to “Hardware Support”