Touchpad re-enables after closing laptop (Dell Inspiron 5515)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
IdahoDixon
Level 1
Level 1

Touchpad re-enables after closing laptop (Dell Inspiron 5515)

Post by IdahoDixon »

Running Linux Mint 20.4 here.

I can disable the laptop (Dell Inspiron 5515) touchpad, but it doesn't take effect until rebooting. I can live with that. Worse, however, is that a disabled touchpad becomes active again after closing and opening the laptop. The settings say the touchpad is still disabled, but after closing/opening the laptop, you need to reboot AGAIN to truly disable the touchpad. I've got Parkinsons and my thumb drags when I type ... truly frustrating to have my thumb sliding around on a "disabled" touchpad and causing unintended actions on the computer. Anyone got a fix? (Note: since the laptop is a touchscreen one, I will never need a touchpad)

Thanks...
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Touchpad re-enables after closing laptop (Dell Inspiron 5515)

Post by AZgl1800 »

I disabled my Touchpad in BIOS,

don't matter what MINT thinks, it just will not work, period.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
IdahoDixon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by IdahoDixon »

AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:32 am I disabled my Touchpad in BIOS,

Great idea ... if something else doesn't jump out at me, I'll do that too. It would be nice if there's a setting somewhere ...
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

IdahoDixon wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:37 am
AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:32 am I disabled my Touchpad in BIOS,

Great idea ... if something else doesn't jump out at me, I'll do that too. It would be nice if there's a setting somewhere ...
the typical setting for disabling the Touchpad is here, but it keeps toggling back on which irked me.

touchpad.jpg
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
IdahoDixon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by IdahoDixon »

Sounds more like an issue with Mint than with the computer... but I wrote to Dell too...
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

IdahoDixon wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:01 pm Sounds more like an issue with Mint than with the computer... but I wrote to Dell too...
Well,
I have always disabled the damned Touchpad since the day it was introduced to Laptops.
it is an abomination IMO, and I have no use for it.

I am a touch typist, and can at times run up to 120 WPM, and having the Cursor suddenly jump to Hell and Gone elsewhere, besides the end of the text while I am typing is NOT helpful at all.

I don't watch the keyboard, and I certainly don't watch the screen while I type, "most of the time",
so having the cursor mangle up my prose pisses me off, big time, ergo, I disable the Touchpad.

Return to “Hardware Support”