Multimedia Keys not recognized in Cinnamon 20.3

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bolzak
Level 1
Level 1

Multimedia Keys not recognized in Cinnamon 20.3

Post by bolzak »

I've set up a new computer as my media server for kodi and plex. I'm using a Harmony smart hub to control all of my media components. I'm not able to get my remote nor my keyboard to recognize the play, pause, stop, forward, reverse buttons. I've seen posts such as this one: https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-li ... -on-linux/ that offer suggestions, but I thought I would try this forum first. I don't want to try a bunch of different ideas hoping one of them will work.

I'm relatively new to linux after spending nearly 30 years in the windows world, so I would appreciate suggestions that take my lack of experience and knowledge into consideration.

As always, I appreciate the assistance of you who are much more skilled than I.

Bill
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
redaxe
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Multimedia Keys not recognized in Cinnamon 20.3

Post by redaxe »

Hello Bill.
Actually the proceedings described in the article you linked to are most likely the easiest way to get it working. Remember that Mint is based on Ubuntu (and Mate is based on a fork of GNOME). Certainly depends on the keyboard, though. But key binding will most likely be the way to go. I don't use Cinnamon though, and Mint MATE only on a secondary Laptop, but on my main machine that runs ZorinOS getting a Dell Multimedia Keyboard to work was no problem (except for two "zoom" keys that are not even recognized as keypresses when I configured it).
Regards
-Hermann-
bolzak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bolzak »

Thanks for your feedback and your experience with this problem. I will follow the directions in my attached link and hope for the best.
bolzak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bolzak »

I followed the steps and have been able to bind the keys using playerctl. However, the only key(s) that actually respond is the play/pause key. The stop, next track, previous track all seem to bind, but when pressing those keys during audio or video playback nothing happens. I've even tried binding a function key (f12) to the stop key and that hasn't proven effective.

Any thoughts?

Return to “Hardware Support”