thermald, "Unsupported cpu model or platform", and --ignore-cpuid-check

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AwesomeOpossum74
Level 3
Level 3

thermald, "Unsupported cpu model or platform", and --ignore-cpuid-check

Post by AwesomeOpossum74 »

I don't want to necro-post, but I got info from here: viewtopic.php?t=289300

I have the "Unsupported cpu model or platform" when attempting to start thermald. Other than the obvious (ignoring the cpu model), does --ignore-cpuid-check have any negative effects?

My CPU:

Code: Select all

$ sudo inxi -xxz --cpu
CPU:       Info: Dual Core model: AMD Ryzen 3 3250U with Radeon Graphics bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen/Zen+ 
           note: check rev: 1 L1 cache: 192 KiB L2 cache: 1024 KiB L3 cache: 3.9 MiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 20759 
           Speed: 1275 MHz min/max: 1400/2600 MHz boost: enabled Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1275 2: 1357 3: 1329 4: 1303
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: thermald, "Unsupported cpu model or platform", and --ignore-cpuid-check

Post by Hoser Rob »

Looking at that other thread it seems that program doesn't support your cpu model, that's the stated reason by the installer. Telling it to ignore the cpu model could make the program install. But if it doesn't actually support that cpu model what the hell would be the point? Why not just try something else that does support it?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
AwesomeOpossum74
Level 3
Level 3

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:28 amBut if it doesn't actually support that cpu model what the hell would be the point? Why not just try something else that does support it?
I suppose it would depend how updated the utility is (my CPU is about 2 years old), and how it determines whether a CPU is supported. Like, is it looking for actual capabilities, or is it just comparing a list of known supported CPU models?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Who cares? In the time it takes you to read the docs and changelogs you'd need to to figure that out you could install something that works. That program doesn't seem unique to me.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
AwesomeOpossum74
Level 3
Level 3

Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:29 am Who cares? In the time it takes you to read the docs and changelogs you'd need to to figure that out you could install something that works. That program doesn't seem unique to me.
Except that it's automatically installed in Mint. So I thought I'd try getting it to work on my system before trying other solutions. I'm not against other apps, I just like to try the simpler path first.

Return to “Hardware Support”