TLP on Macbook Air and LM 21

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SilenceIsG0lden
Level 3
Level 3

TLP on Macbook Air and LM 21

Post by SilenceIsG0lden »

I installed LM 21 on a Macbook Air mid-2011 (Quad-core, 4 GB RAM, SSD, Intel-chips). No problems -- except for some weirdness, like the bluetooth mouse working despite bluetooth being switched off.

But, the battery is wonky. I knew it wouldn't match whatever magic Apple did with the hardware, but the runtime is not just extremely short (bit longer than 1 hour, on simple web surfing), it's also not reading correctly: after (allegedly) fully charging, it shows I have over 4 hours left. 60 minutes later it's only 90 minutes. And then it dies within a few minutes.

I installed Powertop and ran it a few times with the calibration switch. Now, that program costs me every bit of patience and nerve when using the calibration option, because I never know if it's still running its routine, or if the screen is black because the Mac ran out of battery. (The latter happened several times.)

After reading around a bit, I uninstalled Powertop and replaced it with TLP. The GUI is a bit worthless, because it looks like I'm making changes, yet when I use the terminal commands, I see that there are massive problems. Not the least: the tlp.conf is nowhere to be found! I know that the folder location changed over time, but tlp actually searches both (/etc/default and /etc/) and nowhere does it find the tlp.conf. I even used the example tlp.conf file from the documentation, copied it into the /etc/default folder, un-commented a few of the options, and still TLP says it doesn't find it.

That, and the fact that a missing tlp.conf is not discussed anywhere on the web, makes me wonder if TLP works with LM 21 at all.
Anyone have any thoughts on this? Or what else I could try?
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM 21.1 cinnamon on PC built by myself in 2008
LM 21.3 cinnamon on Macbook Air
Living in Linux Mint land since 2020, after decades on Microsoft (from DOS to Win7).

Return to “Hardware Support”