Fingerprint reader auth issue on Thinpad T61 running Una

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
that1nerd
Level 1
Level 1

Fingerprint reader auth issue on Thinpad T61 running Una

Post by that1nerd »

Recently decided to install Linux Mint on an old Thinkpad T61 I revived, as Windows 10 would be dog slow on it. Did a fresh install of Una with Mate, and it seems to run fairly well. Yet the only problem so far is that I can't get the fingerprint reader to work. All the password prompts, both sudo and first login, state "Swipe your index finger", yet it doesn't work no matter how many times I've swiped. I have to resort to typing in my password, instead.

"lsusb" returns "Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0483:2016 STMicroelectronics Fingerprint Reader" which is a supported reader. I've gone ahead and enrolled my index finger via fprintd, ran the verify check, and even set the "Fingerprint authentication" option in pam-auth-update. When that didn't work, I ran a "fprintd-delete 'username'" command and started over with a fresh enrolling. Even tried rebooting between steps, too. No change.

The auth log doesn't show any entries for when I attempt to login via the fingerprint reader. Only when I successfully login via password.

I'm genuinely stumped at this point... Any suggestions besides installing an older version of the OS?
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lapazlane
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Fingerprint reader auth issue on Thinpad T61 running Una

Post by lapazlane »

Hello, I'm having the same issue with this reader on X61T using Vanessa. As it has worked fine in the past according to others, I am guessing there is a way to get it working - can anyone advise? Thank you.

Return to “Hardware Support”