Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
phaedrusgbe
Level 1
Level 1

USB Video cards

Post by phaedrusgbe » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:26 pm

Has anyone heard anything about support for any of the USB external video cards? I found one online at http://sewelldirect.com/USB-to-DVI-Exte ... lution.asp, and I've seen a couple other ones.

My set up consist of a laptop with onboard Intel graphics chip outputting into a 22 inch acer monitor, but the graphics card really only supports lower resolutions on the screen, and even after several customizations to xorg.conf and such, it still doesn't do fullscreen well through the monitor. I was hoping something like this would help.

Any thoughts on whether these things are supported well yet?

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: USB Video cards

Post by Husse » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:15 pm

Sorry for the late reply
One solution for USB Video cards uses display link which is coming for Linux according to DesktopLinux.com
The Displaylink driver udlfb is enabled in Karmic (and so probably Helena)
I don't think the one you link to is display link but as it has a *nix driver (Snow Leopard) it may work but I cannot say for sure
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

phaedrusgbe
Level 1
Level 1

Re: USB Video cards

Post by phaedrusgbe » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:42 pm

Yeah, I saw that DisplayLink drivers were being worked on, but I wasn't able to tell if they were far enough along yet to be useful. I think I'm going to go ahead and order a DisplayLink USB VGA and see how it goes, I'll post an update when I get it.

Return to “Hardware Support”