Configuring Secure Boot

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rustyp
Level 4
Level 4

Configuring Secure Boot

Post by rustyp »

I am having some sort of secure boot video driver issue I do not understand

Computer needs updating try to update get an error tells me to run a command in terminal to fix, after a few minutes a blue screen pops up with a message seen below you can click "OK" and the return button on the keyboard 100x and it does nothing you have to close the terminal manually then fight that being prompted some message I cant remember and your not allowed to cut and paste, I just fool with it until terminal closes, reboot and it boots normally,

Try to upgrade system and it starts the same cant update until you fix this secure boot thing.

NOTE: below is what was in the blue terminal window that would not close, it also would NOT allow me to copy and paste the entire contents of the terminal window for some unknown reason, maybe who ever wrote the error in the blue window did not want people to copy paste the entire error message?

Configuring Secure Boot ├────────────────────────┐
│ │
│ Your system has UEFI Secure Boot enabled.

│ UEFI Secure Boot requires additional configuration to work with
│ third-party drivers.

│ The system will assist you in configuring UEFI Secure Boot. To permit
│ the use of third-party drivers, a new Machine-Owner Key (MOK) has been
│ generated. This key now needs to be enrolled in your system's firmware.

│ To ensure that this change is being made by you as an authorized user,
│ and not by an attacker, you must choose a password now and then confirm
│ the change after reboot using the same password, in both the "Enroll
│ MOK" and "Change Secure Boot state" menus that will be presented to you
│ when this system reboots.

│ <Ok>
│ │
└──────────────────────────────────────────
Thanks.

Shame the industry that writes "Error" messages does not include a Error Number #00000 so users can just search for Error #00000 and find solutions.

All I know for sure is EVERY ENCOUNTER I have had with "UEFI Secure Boot" is a nightmare if someone knows how to disable "UEFI Secure Boot" please let me know I have never had UEFI Secure Boot on past computers, first computer was a 486DX 33
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Before posting on this site I always verify I have the latest version of Linux Mint Cinnamon installed and run Update Manager.
Thanks.
autodctr
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Configuring Secure Boot

Post by autodctr »

And I have never been able to run Secure Boot while dual booting.

To disable it, you need to watch your screen when you turn the machine on. It will tell you what key to press to get into Setup. Once you manage to get into setup, you need to go to Security and then look for and turn off Secure Boot.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

rustyp wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:35 pm I am having some sort of secure boot video driver issue I do not understand
What video driver did you install that you are calling this a video driver issue?

Secure boot is considering part of the hardware and not all manufacturers handle its implementation the same way. Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click Copy, and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.
rustyp wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:35 pmComputer needs updating try to update get an error tells me to run a command in terminal to fix, after a few minutes a blue screen pops up with a message seen below you can click "OK" and the return button on the keyboard 100x and it does nothing
Did you try using an arrow key or the tab key so you could press the OK button.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
hglee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by hglee »

rustyp wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:35 pm All I know for sure is EVERY ENCOUNTER I have had with "UEFI Secure Boot" is a nightmare if someone knows how to disable "UEFI Secure Boot" please let me know...

Next time you power-up, go into the BIOS and disable Secure Boot, because it's known to interfere with device drivers & firmware.

Linux Mint 21 Vanessa, MATE 1.26.0, kernel 5.15.0*, Dell 2-in-1
AMD Ryzen 7 5825U / Barcelo iGPU - 14" WUXGA Touchscreen
MediaTek MT7921 WiFi-6 BT-5.2; 32GB DDR4@3200MHz; XPG 2TB-NVMe

Return to “Hardware Support”